Falcon POY

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Craig Thompson
Elder
Elder

Falcon POY

Post by Craig Thompson » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:37 am

My first reaction is this is not the time to start discussing a POY. So many other concerns to think about.

But maybe it is a perfect time to start that discussion. A pleasant diversion and something to look forward to.

I think about how much I enjoy the last few years POYs and try to imagine what can be done this year.

So....what do you all think?

(I feel like I am such a new-timer that maybe I should not be the one making the suggestion. But I didn't want to wait. πŸ™‚)

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Re: 2020 POY

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:42 am

Craig Thompson wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:37 am
My first reaction is this is not the time to start discussing a POY. So many other concerns to think about.

But maybe it is a perfect time to start that discussion. A pleasant diversion and something to look forward to.

I think about how much I enjoy the last few years POYs and try to imagine what can be done this year.

(I feel like I am such a new-timer that maybe I should not be the one making the suggestion. But I didn't want to wait. πŸ™‚)
Cool.

I vote Falcon.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
β€”Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:29 am

hugodrax wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:42 am

Cool.

I vote Falcon.
We could keep the price under $75 if we did, I think. (No twist stem, no meer bowl)
"I call [coco] 'barely passable heretic.'" - HugoDrax

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 am

coco wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:29 am

Cool.

I vote Falcon.
We could keep the price under $75 if we did, I think. (No twist stem, no meer bowl)
We could keep it well under. One stem, no bowls, lol.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
β€”Marcus Aurelius

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:58 am

Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 am
coco wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:29 am

Cool.

I vote Falcon.
We could keep it well under. One stem, no bowls, lol.
sounds like vaping..
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

JimVH
JimExotic
JimExotic
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 pm

"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:51 pm

I like the idea of a Falcon. I've never owned one, but would like to. To me though, it needs to have a silver stem so it has that mid-century retro modern look. That's the whole point in owning one of the goofy things.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:22 pm

FredS wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:51 pm
I like the idea of a Falcon. I've never owned one, but would like to. To me though, it needs to have a silver stem so it has that mid-century retro modern look. That's the whole point in owning one of the goofy things.
Have to tell you, if I'd have started on a Falcon, I'd have probably never have learned to smoke a pipe. They're that easy!

Me, I like that stem shape on the far right. The bronze one.

But honestly, I cant believe this is even being entertained. I'm happy enough it's even being considered to care!
β€”Marcus Aurelius

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 pm

I like the bright burgandy bowl.
All people are worth praying for - Hugodrax.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:54 pm

I really like the idea of a Falcon. I've never owned or smoked one but have always been intrigued. My only condition is that a briar bowl be an option rather than something weird like morta. I think I prefer a silver colored stemmed one but I'm open to other options there. I'm a definite maybe depending on the options. And thanks for bringing it up, Craig. I think this is a perfect time to at least have the discussion. For those of us who are being impacted financially by the quarantine and don't think they can participate, there's a great opportunity for those of us who are doing okay to show brotherly love and donate. That's my favorite part of the CPS POY.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JimVH
JimExotic
JimExotic
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:56 pm

I dig Falcons. How do we stamp/mark it?
SlowToke wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:54 pm
For those of us who are being impacted financially by the quarantine and don't think they can participate, there's a great opportunity for those of us who are doing okay to show brotherly love and donate. That's my favorite part of the CPS POY.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:59 pm

JimVH wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:56 pm
For those of us who are being impacted financially by the quarantine and don't think they can participate, there's a great opportunity for those of us who are doing okay to show brotherly love and donate. That's my favorite part of the CPS POY.
Good question. I'm not familiar enough with them but I'd bet they can be laser etched like last years.
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:59 pm
Good question. I'm not familiar enough with them but I'd bet they can be laser etched like last years.
Tu Combs did it for us last year and he did a great job.
Wayne Teipen

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:34 pm

LASER beams on highly reflective surfaces can be dangerous. Coherent light -- it's dangerous to be all aligned in the same fashion even in relatively small power groups.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Craig Thompson
Elder
Elder

Post by Craig Thompson » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:37 pm

I am a relatively new piper. My inspiration as a youth was my grandfather. I have always thought of pipes as a very traditional activity.

So when I first saw a Falcon I thought it looked too modern. Metal? Screw on bowls?

But I am totally game for this.

My only request is if a bent stem can be an option. Not an absolute requirement but I just find slightly bent works so much better for me.

I have been fortunate to continue to work from home and would be pleased to sponsor a POY.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:40 pm

I like this one...

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 pm

gaining_age wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:34 pm
LASER beams on highly reflective surfaces can be dangerous. Coherent light -- it's dangerous to be all aligned in the same fashion even in relatively small power groups.
We also used to think laser beams mounted on sharks was a generally bad idea until Austin Powers. Just sayin'. :D
Wayne Teipen

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:57 pm

gaining_age wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:34 pm
There are ways around those dangers. Simply putting a layer of masking tape on the highly reflective surface is often the easiest. Installing a remote starter switch so you turn it on with your cell phone from the next county is also an option. If there's not enough real estate on the pipe shank we could always engrave the bowl or perhaps the stem. We can even engrave it with a small CNC milling machine or pantograph if it's not laserable. All that to say that the details can be worked through if we go with a Falcon.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 pm

I’m down for a Falcon too.
β€œFear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 pm

I really like the idea of a Falcon. I've never owned or smoked one but have always been intrigued...
This.
"I call [coco] 'barely passable heretic.'" - HugoDrax

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.