Uniquely Duggish

Re: 2020 POY

Post by coco » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:04 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:34 am
Geezers smoke Falcon pipes.
You and I are in, I suppose.
"I call [coco] 'barely passable heretic.'" - HugoDrax

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Del
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel

Post by Del » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am

coco wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:04 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Most of us are. We could pretty much draw a line.... anyone older than Slowtoke would have to apply for a waiver.
"If somebody serves you something to eat, and it don't taste good? -- Then it ain't Cajun!" -- Paul Prudhomme

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:00 am

Del wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am
coco wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Most of us are. We could pretty much draw a line.... anyone older than Slowtoke would have to apply for a waiver.
^That right there is FUNNY.^
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:11 am

Del wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am
coco wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Brotherhood of Geezers ("BOGs") … sort of a sub-group within the CPS.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:13 am

sweetandsour wrote:Geezers smoke Falcon pipes.
I resemble that remark, to quote Curley of the Three Stooges.
To be honest, I am not heavily involved with this site, and I largely lurk. I had some not so Christian exchanges in theological discussions which soured things a bit. But I did get 2 POYs. The first was a dud to me in aesthetics and execution. The second is a great smoker.
So the thought of a reliable but not thrilling smoker like a Falcon is great to me. Colors, materials, all of that don’t matter much with a Falcon’s performance. The plain metal is boring. It gets dull over time, and I don’t want something I need to polish. I like the engraving idea. Perhaps the sheleighly model would be nice. Meer or morta would be different. Those are my 2 or several cents. I am largely in, regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:34 am

WSerad wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:13 am
To be honest, I am not heavily involved with this site, and I largely lurk. I had some not so Christian exchanges in theological discussions which soured things a bit. But I did get 2 POYs. The first was a dud to me in aesthetics and execution. The second is a great smoker.
So the thought of a reliable but not thrilling smoker like a Falcon is great to me. Colors, materials, all of that don’t matter much with a Falcon’s performance. The plain metal is boring. It gets dull over time, and I don’t want something I need to polish. I like the engraving idea. Perhaps the sheleighly model would be nice. Meer or morta would be different. Those are my 2 or several cents. I am largely in, regardless.

You give Eeyore a real run for his money, dude. :D
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

flailure
Congregation
Congregation

Post by flailure » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:55 am

I know I'm relatively new, but going to say that a falcon smokes too well to be considered for the 2020 poy. As much as a disaster as this year has been, should be something that can commemorate the year, so I nominate, ugly sweater pipe https://www.etsy.com/listing/790754023/ ... t_relevant.

On a more serious note, I do like the falcon idea, so, I would definitely be in if you wonderful people make it happen.
C. S. Lewis Quote: “A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.” Personally, I tend to gravitate towards the second option of those, but at least when my pipe is in my mouth I cannot say anything to add confirmation to that opinion.

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 am

hugodrax wrote:
WSerad wrote:

Indeed. I simply didn’t have the interest or energy to contend. During the interval, I lost my job 6.5 years ago, and connotbfind another similar, my wife had health issues, both daughters had health issues, my grandson was premature and has ongoing issues, we lost 2 parents, and one of my best friends is expected to pass away at any time. We are trapped in virus hell, my daughters are both immuno- compromised, and the one in VA is here with her kids while her husband is deployed on an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf and the other daughter is now disabled. So, CPS is not that important relative to other concerns. I thought I would check in during my boredom and few free moments. Moreover, I don’t get a warm welcome back vibe from you. Wedgie? And I have been told my voice is like Eeyore’s, who is as my daughters favorite making the reference ok with me.

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:48 am

Also, my best friend has gone off into the theological netherworld. He seems to have become something like a Christadelphian. So I don’t willingly engage in those sorts of discussions as they are fruitless. I have also changed churches a couple years ago from similar impetus.

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:06 am

WSerad wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 am
hugodrax wrote:
WSerad wrote:

Indeed. I simply didn’t have the interest or energy to contend. During the interval, I lost my job 6.5 years ago, and connotbfind another similar, my wife had health issues, both daughters had health issues, my grandson was premature and has ongoing issues, we lost 2 parents, and one of my best friends is expected to pass away at any time. We are trapped in virus hell, my daughters are both immuno- compromised, and the one in VA is here with her kids while her husband is deployed on an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf and the other daughter is now disabled. So, CPS is not that important relative to other concerns. I thought I would check in during my boredom and few free moments. Moreover, I don’t get a warm welcome back vibe from you. Wedgie? And I have been told my voice is like Eeyore’s, who is as my daughters favorite making the reference ok with me.

Man, that's a heavy load. I'll pray for your concerns, but you should realize all those things you listed happen to everybody else too. Life is messy sometimes and yours isn't atypical. We all have issues even if we don't choose to lay them out on social media. My cousin, who's meth habit recently came back 'round to visit says "Hey, don't judge me! You have no idea what I go through and how many people have hurt me." I'm like dude, you don't think everyone else get's s*** on too?

Oh, and welcome back.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:09 am

True, so true. It is more the lack of energy. And thanks!

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:06 am
WSerad wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
WSerad wrote:

Man, that's a heavy load. I'll pray for your concerns, but you should realize all those things you listed happen to everybody else too. Life is messy sometimes and yours isn't atypical. We all have issues even if we don't choose to lay them out on social media. My cousin, who's meth habit recently came back 'round to visit says "Hey, don't judge me! You have no idea what I go through and how many people have hurt me." I'm like dude, you don't think everyone else get's s*** on too?

Oh, and welcome back.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I always liked Eeyore. My daughter's volunteered to decorate his pipe.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:52 pm

It’s always the fourth page.
—Marcus Aurelius

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:34 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 am
FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:06 am
WSerad wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
WSerad wrote:

Oh, and welcome back.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I always liked Eeyore. My daughter's volunteered to decorate his pipe.
When I was a child I had an Eeyore from Disneyland that had to have been stuffed with cedar shavings-- he smelled great!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm

My biggest CPS POY gripe over my almost ten years here is the mandatory participation and purchase requirement even when I don't agree with the process or the selection.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:28 pm

No Eeyore pipe for you!
—Marcus Aurelius

Del

Post by Del » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm
My biggest CPS POY gripe over my almost ten years here is the mandatory participation and purchase requirement even when I don't agree with the process or the selection.
You're probably not going to be happy with voting in November, as well.
"If somebody serves you something to eat, and it don't taste good? -- Then it ain't Cajun!" -- Paul Prudhomme

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:42 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm
You're probably not going to be happy with voting in November, too.
Haven't been for years. What's going to change?
—Marcus Aurelius

Craig Thompson
Elder
Elder

Post by Craig Thompson » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:11 pm

Well JudgeRusty, I have been contemplating your situation and I think you could kick it up a notch this year. You can disagree with the process and selection and then be required to buy a POY for ALL of us. That would break your routine.

What do you think?

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:58 am

Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:21 am
[*]
gaining_age wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:41 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:18 am
coco wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:31 am
Winton wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:44 am
I am interested.

Can we get this in a Plaid pattern? Of course paisley would be nice also.
My and Hugo's girls will be fulfilling custom requests, for a reasonable upcharge. Expect colored Sharpie magic.
I was kind of hanging back and unsure...but this info and option has pulled me in...SOLD
Get the pattern close and this would look fantastic!

This is quite attractive, in a sinister sort or way. The actual images of the virus are taken with an electron microscope which is only black and white. The pretty colors are added with photoshop or such. So I am told any how.

But these images are rather striking.
Pretty sure I've seen e.m. images in color. Didn't know they were photoshopped.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)