Lighters...lets hear about the ones in use

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Lighters...lets hear about the ones in use

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:01 am

I am an equipment guy and this pipe hobby gives me lots of options...a new pipe every now and then, tampers, tobacco storage and processing tools, (Plugs = Large chopping knife and small cutting board), pipe bags and holders and LIGHTERS. I use matches on a very rare occasion.

I have several in a drawer, that kind of collectors...they don't count...at least for this topic. What lighters do I use?

Well I have a silver Zippo pipe lighter with the little ink stamping of a pipe in the lower left corner I bought that when I was 25 years old and had it engraves SEW on the lid at the shop where I got it. I have sent it back to Zippo 2 times to tighten the lid hinge and a new insert and I used it last night.

I also have a Zippo that is camo that has the non-pipe/standard insert...I use it for cigars. I bought it from a friend at the gunshow and it was new in the box. Wow that has already been over 10 years ago.

I have a Nimrod Commander that I got from the auction sight at Hugo's recommendation. I has been an on and off struggle to get it reliable, but it has been up and running with a new wick and it is doing great. It is very different from the Zippos and has a bit of a personality, maybe due to it being an old new wick or maybe they are just a bit quirky...still for more than 2 weeks it has been a good reliable lighter.

These are my users, (not mentioning the many BIC lighters that I have incase I don't feel like fueling the others or replacing a flint or), I am thinking I need an Old Boy but I haven't decided on anything yet and I am well served but these 3.

What is in your lighter rotation?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Re: Lighters...lets hear about the ones in use

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 am

I have a Kiribi Butane Pipe Lighter. Great lighter except the tiny screw that holds the lever in place becomes loose requiring service. But mine was still under warranty and SmokingPipes.com repaired it for me. I need to put a drop of Loctite on the threads I think.

Made in Japan Kiribi Butane Pipe Lighter
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am

BIC baby!
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:30 am

Daily users are a briar wrapped Old Boy, an old sterling zippo, and the Nimrod Commander.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:35 am

I have several Zippos pipe lighters and a regular Zippo in “brushed” bronze (I “brushed” a corroded, smooth bronze lighter I found in the field where we walk our dogs). My favorites are a bronze one my wife gave me and a modern reproduction of an old Art Deco Zippo.

I also have two Zippo style cases with butane inserts marked Stanwell that I got for free as Stanwell pipe promotions and two Austrian refillable butane lighters that I got many years ago. I never use them anymore - worthless in the wind.

It’s Zippo pipe lighters for me.
Love ‘em.

(My wife calls me a gearhead.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:35 am
I have several Zippos pipe lighters and a regular Zippo in “brushed” bronze (I “brushed” a corroded, smooth bronze lighter I found in the field where we walk our dogs). My favorites are a bronze one my wife gave me and a modern reproduction of an old Art Deco Zippo.

I also have two Zippo style cases with butane inserts marked Stanwell that I got for free as Stanwell pipe promotions and two Austrian refillable butane lighters that I got many years ago. I never use them anymore - worthless in the wind.

It’s Zippo pipe lighters for me.
Love ‘em.

(My wife calls me a gearhead.)
What fluid do you use?

I had a Zippo pipe lighter years ago but stopped using it because I felt like I could taste the lighter fluid.

Now I'm thinking of trying this again.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:19 pm

I have a heard of Zippos, most with butane inserts. My sentimental favorite, a Chrome Xikar, is my longest serving and most reliable. There are Bic lighters laying around all over the place.

There's a box full of other pipe lighters around somewhere in varying stages of functionality. Inside the box is my Old Boy, which is the most disappointing pipe-related purchase I've ever made.

I also have a Nimrod Commander that looks great, but doesn't work. I'll get to it someday.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:21 pm

I use the black can Premium Zippo Lighter Fluid.
If you let the flame burn a second before you light the pipe, for me at least, there's no fluid taste.

Being able to light the pipe outside in a breeze more than makes up for those lost few seconds.

These are the two Zippos I have that like most:

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:20 pm

My main lighter at present is a Savinelli I picked up in Rome...

I have a bic or two and a couple Savinelli minuto lighters for those dicey dark alley situations.

I've owned a number of i11 Corona and Zippo lighters over the years as well. Durangopipe makes me want to get another Zippo for outdoors.
"What's wrong with you people? " - R.C. Sproul

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Bic

I have some butane rigs around somewhere but refilling can be a pain.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

canuck
Congregation
Congregation

Post by canuck » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:48 pm

OLD BOY.MATT BLACK COLOR

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:05 pm

canuck wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:48 pm
OLD BOY.MATT BLACK COLOR
I LOST A BET ON THAT.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:27 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:05 pm
canuck wrote:
OLD BOY.MATT BLACK COLOR
I LOST A BET ON THAT.
HAHA. WHERE'S MY FLIPPEN TWENTY BUCKS, LOSER?
DL Jake

I save calories by not eating the hole. - JimVH

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:27 pm
hugodrax wrote:
canuck wrote:
OLD BOY.MATT BLACK COLOR
I LOST A BET ON THAT.
THERE ARE TEN LOONIES ON THE WAY, C.O.D.
—Marcus Aurelius

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
canuck wrote:
OLD BOY.MATT BLACK COLOR
I LOST A BET ON THAT.
DO THEY HAVE NEW TRUCKS OR ARE THEY MORE DORKLY?
DL Jake

I save calories by not eating the hole. - JimVH

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:17 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
canuck wrote:
OLD BOY.MATT BLACK COLOR
I LOST A BET ON THAT.
DO THEY HAVE NEW TRUCKS OR ARE THEY MORE DORKLY?
YOU WON’T KNOW UNTIL THEY GET THERE. EXPECT DELAYS DUE TO CORONAVIRUS.
—Marcus Aurelius

Craft
Usher
Usher

Post by Craft » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:29 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:01 am
I am an equipment guy and this pipe hobby gives me lots of options...a new pipe every now and then, tampers, tobacco storage and processing tools, (Plugs = Large chopping knife and small cutting board), pipe bags and holders and LIGHTERS. I use matches on a very rare occasion.

I have several in a drawer, that kind of collectors...they don't count...at least for this topic. What lighters do I use?

Well I have a silver Zippo pipe lighter with the little ink stamping of a pipe in the lower left corner I bought that when I was 25 years old and had it engraves SEW on the lid at the shop where I got it. I have sent it back to Zippo 2 times to tighten the lid hinge and a new insert and I used it last night.

I also have a Zippo that is camo that has the non-pipe/standard insert...I use it for cigars. I bought it from a friend at the gunshow and it was new in the box. Wow that has already been over 10 years ago.

I have a Nimrod Commander that I got from the auction sight at Hugo's recommendation. I has been an on and off struggle to get it reliable, but it has been up and running with a new wick and it is doing great. It is very different from the Zippos and has a bit of a personality, maybe due to it being an old new wick or maybe they are just a bit quirky...still for more than 2 weeks it has been a good reliable lighter.

These are my users, (not mentioning the many BIC lighters that I have incase I don't feel like fueling the others or replacing a flint or), I am thinking I need an Old Boy but I haven't decided on anything yet and I am well served but these 3.

What is in your lighter rotation?
Somewhere I recall hearing not to use Zippos with pipes, but what do I know? (I think it was supposedly because the Zippo fluid would taint the taste of the tobacco).
“I don't dislike babies, though I think very young ones rather disgusting.” - A. Victoria

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:26 pm

I use an old imitation zippo that was part of the merchandise for my sister-in-law's rock band many years ago. The band logo has long since scratched off but it still works great.

Like Durango said, just let the flame burn for a second or two and there's not much of a taste to worry about.

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 pm

Ronson fluid always left a taste on the smoke...but the Zippo fluid if allowed to burn a second as Durangopipe suggests, before setting fire to a pipe full of tobacco...we;; Zippo is king
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:43 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:19 pm
I have a heard of Zippos
This reads to me like an Italian telling us he is aware of Zippos.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis