Have you ever - - -

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
MikeLeverette
Congregation
Congregation

Have you ever - - -

Post by MikeLeverette » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:20 pm

This morning before I had my coffee, my Zippo ran out of fuel. No problem, I filled it and, oops, it still didn't work! While looking it over, I noticed a peculiar smell. Shucks, I had filled it with 3-in-one oil!! Please have pity on my Old Timers. :oops:

Thank Goodness, it was one of my old Zippo pipe lighters and not one of my new ones.

Now, you may commence laughing! I am.
Have a great day in the Lord and Happy puffing
Mike

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:25 pm

Good one!!

The first zippo I had - in my early teens - I had no one to walk me through even the basics. Plus I was too impatient to ask anyone. I looked down the aisle at the conveinece store for lighter fluid. Grabbed the first can I saw and headed home. At home I opened the zippo and "sprayed" the ligher fluid (Butane :D) inside. Seemed like an odd design to me... but - whatever! So when I struck that baby I had a big 'ol ball o' fire in my hand. :eek2: Ooooh Nellie! Of course I had to try it 2 or 3 more times before I conviced myself I needed help.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:21 pm

Ok...I've done something similar. I spent many years working in woodworking (furniture & casegoods) plants. One of the common chemicals kept around is naptha (lighter fluid) for various cleanup & finishing processes. Well, I grabbed what I thought was a bottle of naptha (affectionately referred to as "nap") and filled my Zippo. This is a very common occurrence, as everyone did the same. Well, I had mistakenly picked up a bottle of lacquer thinner. THAT's a whole other ballpark. That stuff lit up considerably more than "nap", and produced a large plume of black smoke as it did...not to mention a quite horrid taste of anything lit with it. I had to replace the stuffing in the lighter to get things back to normal. :oops:
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

MikeLeverette
Congregation
Congregation

Post by MikeLeverette » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:34 am

Sandpiper
I drew and designed tire re-capping molds for four years back in the 60s. They use naptha for cleaning the aluminum and for four years never purchased lighter fluid. When I left I took a gallon jug of naptha with me with the owners permission. He wouldn't let me take two! :lol:

One day while I was at the naptha barrell, I watched while they pour molten aluminum into a huge earth moving mold. The form broke and molten aluminum started coming my way and the naptha barrell. I said a very heart felt prayer and ran like a race horse. Thankfully, the aluminum took a different direction before it reached the naptha barrell. After that one, they relocated the naptha.
Have a great day in the Lord and Happy puffing
Mike