views on smoking

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:19 pm

And we jumped on him in the Forum Question section. We really need to pay better attention to that.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:23 pm

I expected that response so no worries. I think perhaps I was unclear (plus there were a few typos that made my post make less sense.) We are commanded to be like Christ but that doesn't mean that we can. I don't believe that we are capable due to our sinful nature. Even Paul wasn't without sin.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

darthsaturn
Soon to be Chock Full O' Nuts
Soon to be Chock Full O' Nuts

Post by darthsaturn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 am

Getting back on topic, let me quote Mr. Morely (Again). ""If you like smoking a pipe, then smoke an ever loving pipe and stop being such a Nancy about it."

Debate settled.
"If you like smoking a pipe, then smoke an ever loving pipe and stop being such a Nancy about it." A Morely

"I'm not even a woman and I find that offensive" Kerdy.

chazman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by chazman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:01 am

about our status as sinners: we are called to aspire to be like Christ, however, due to the fall we are all born sinners, hence everything that we do is tainted in some way. the only one who has ever been sinless since the fall of man was Christ, that is why He was able (and willing) to be our Saviour. that being said i do like this saying: "before i was saved i was a sinner, now that i am saved i am a saint who occasionally sins."

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:04 am

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, and apart from Him we can do nothing. I really don't think we're having a disagreement here.

chazman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by chazman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:13 am

no, no disagreement whatsoever :)

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:36 am

I smoke a pipe because I can.
Gitty Up!

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 am

chazman wrote:no, no disagreement whatsoever :)
:D My comment was prompted by SlowToke's earlier post. But yeah, we're plenty good at disagreeing about plenty of things.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm

chazman wrote:about our status as sinners: we are called to aspire to be like Christ, however, due to the fall we are all born sinners, hence everything that we do is tainted in some way. the only one who has ever been sinless since the fall of man was Christ, that is why He was able (and willing) to be our Saviour. that being said i do like this saying: "before i was saved i was a sinner, now that i am saved i am a saint who occasionally sins."
Exactly what I meant but Chazman says it much better. Sorry for causing any confusion.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Chico
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chico » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm not a saint and I don't regard myself a sinner. I'm an honest man who chooses to smoke. The devil doesnt make me do it and I'll take the consequences for partaking. I'm sure God does not care either way. Thinking yourself as a sinner because one smokes is petty.
Last edited by Chico on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
We pray for balance and exchange.
Balance us like trees. As the roots of a tree
shall equal its branches so must the inner
life be equal to the outer life. And as the leaves
shall nourish the roots so shall the roots
give nourishment to the leaves.

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:21 am

chazman wrote:i can't think of any benefits other than i enjoy relaxing with my pipe, i enjoy the scent of good tobacco and it gives me time to sit and contemplate and pray without much in the way of distractions.
Anything that does this is a good thing