Out Here in the Middle

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Out Here in the Middle

Post by FredS » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:31 pm

Galatians 6:7-10 7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Pay attention to verse 9.

We love to celebrate beginnings and ends. Kids get excited at the beginning of the school year and at the end. But February? Mmmm not so much.

Marathon or NASCAR race? We enjoy the beginning and end but we nap during the middle.

Marriage? We don't even need to go there.

Remember how jacked you were as a new Christian? "This is the greatest thing ever and life will be smooth sailing from here on." Only it isn't. Here in the middle it gets hard. It gets lonely. It gets boring. It gets messy. But the middle is where we live most of our days. It matters.

Next time you hear or read Galatians, remember that Paul isn't just saying "be a good boy" or "eat your beans so you can have dessert". He's saying stick with it. Don't grow weary out here in the middle.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Out Here in the Middle

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:01 pm

"Your message contains 4 characters.
You need to enter at least 5 characters"

OK THEN

AMEN
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:52 am

Good thoughts, Fred. I like verse 9, and keep it handy.

Building on what you've already said: Philosophically, one doesn't always know that they're in the "middle". One never really knows how close to the end they are.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:08 am

sweetandsour wrote:Good thoughts, Fred. I like verse 9, and keep it handy.

Building on what you've already said: Philosophically, one doesn't always know that they're in the "middle". One never really knows how close to the end they are.
That's the truth!
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:42 am

sweetandsour wrote:Good thoughts, Fred. I like verse 9, and keep it handy.

True enough, but 'the middle' isn't just found on a linear timetable. On the church calendar we call it Ordinary Time. John of the Cross called it the Dark Night of the Soul. Fr Thomas Greene calls it Drinking From a Dry Well. It's all those days and years when we're just plodding along. When we're low we pray our guts out. When we're high we party and praise. But when we're in the middle we just kinda roll along. It's easy to forget to pray when we have no urgent needs. It's easy to go all day without even thinking of God. It's easy to take a little short cut at work. It's easy to take our spouse for granted. It's easy to let up a little on our charity. It's easy to get bored and buy a speed boat, or have a fling, try a new drug to add a little spice to life. Paul is saying JUST SAY NO. Don't get weary when you're in the middle.

If I may add a rabbit trail to my own post. . .This is why it's so important to regularly attend a local church. It reminds us - if only for an hour or two - that there's a porpoise. There's God. And He's there even when we forget.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 am

Amen... thank you for the encouragement.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:36 am

FredS wrote: It reminds us - if only for an hour or two - that there's a porpoise.
Amen

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:25 am

Thank you FredS, I need this right now.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:27 pm

The dude has some wisdom in that noggin.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Ether wrote:Thank you FredS, I need this right now.
+me
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Out Here in the Middle of the Sonoran Desert nuclear war could have begun and we'd not know it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis