Visible Faces

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Visible Faces

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:11 pm

I get this concept from my Pastor - It's not groundbreaking, but it causes me pause. . .

I imagine heaven as a see of faces. Faces as far as I can see.

One says to me "You might not remember me, but you gave me a fiver once when I was strung out."

The next one says "You might not remember me, but you used to mow the vacant lot next to my house in the slum."

The next one says "You might not know me but I know you bought books for the library in my neighborhood in Anapra Mexico."

The next one says "You might not remember me, but you gave me a blanket after my apartment burned."

The next one says "You might not know me, but you sent medical supplies to Liberia that made my life-saving surgery possible."

The next one says "You might not know me, but you supported the underground Bible school that my brother went to before he taught me about Jesus Christ."

The next one says "You might not remember me, but I remember seeing you clean the toilets every week before I went to Sunday school."

The next one says "You might not remember me, but you gave me a cup of coffee and a donut when I showed up in the alley behind your church."

Then Jesus walks by and gives me a wink and a nod and says "I told you. 'The least of these.'"
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Re: Visible Faces

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:11 pm
I get this concept from my Pastor - It's not groundbreaking, but it causes me pause. . .

I imagine heaven as a see of faces. Faces as far as I can see.

One says to me "You might not remember me, but you gave me a fiver once when I was strung out."

The next one says "You might not remember me, but you used to mow the vacant lot next to my house in the slum."

The next one says "You might not know me but I know you bought books for the library in my neighborhood in Anapra Mexico."

The next one says "You might not remember me, but you gave me a blanket after my apartment burned."

The next one says "You might not know me, but you sent medical supplies to Liberia that made my life-saving surgery possible."

The next one says "You might not know me, but you supported the underground Bible school that my brother went to before he taught me about Jesus Christ."

The next one says "You might not remember me, but I remember seeing you clean the toilets every week before I went to Sunday school."

The next one says "You might not remember me, but you gave me a cup of coffee and a donut when I showed up in the alley behind your church."

Then Jesus walks by and gives me a wink and a nod and says "I told you. 'The least of these.'"
Sounds like a variation on the song "Thank you" by Ray Boltz.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 pm
Sounds like a variation on the song "Thank you" by Ray Boltz.
Perhaps it is. But honestly, I couldn't make it past the 20 second mark of the song you linked so I'll never know.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm

If heaven is a place focused on my good deeds... I'll be shocked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Even if it isn't, it's probably a good thing to remember that your actions can lead others to heaven anyway. That the donut from the church goer can lead to a man getting his life back on track, that a kind word can lead someone to faith.

Heck, if there's any justice in this I'm just gonna be digging a hole and filling it back in like Cool Hand Luke.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Hear, hear!

No. It's not based on good deeds, but the imitation of Christ...and He certainly loved on others. We are to be the "fragrance of Christ". I've always thought of that as how the smell of my mom's fried chicken brought me out of my bedroom to wherever the chicken was. We should be like that, drawing others to Christ. Not a pile of poop, that you smell before you see and walk around to avoid.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:09 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 pm
Even if it isn't, it's probably a good thing to remember that your actions can lead others to heaven anyway. That the donut from the church goer can lead to a man getting his life back on track, that a kind word can lead someone to faith.

Heck, if there's any justice in this I'm just gonna be digging a hole and filling it back in like Cool Hand Luke.
Get that dirt out of boss keans ditch, boy.

WRT FredS post, yep, wer'e all sowing seeds. A Gideon I know tells a story about giving a new testament to a kid that tossed it into a dumpster but missed. Another kid walked by, saw it on the ground and picked it up. The 2nd kid was reading it as he walked away. No telling how that story ended, or if we'll ever know.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Visible Faces

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 am

Yes I like the verse with the aroma metaphor, used it in house church service last week. I think the way you guys were talking about it, it just sounded like you were expecting a big ol' atta boy, but I get what you're saying now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis