It happened at church this morning ...

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

It happened at church this morning ...

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm

1. This past weekend was "D-Now" (Disciple Now) for the youth, so there were videos and songs, and even some games and skits.
2. It was announced that $7400 was raised for youth camp in last Sunday's cake-n-pie auction.
3. A visiting youth pastor that helped out this weekend opened with prayer, then betrayed his being a so-called millennial by getting up on the top step of the choir loft and taking a selfie with the congregation in the background.
4. A missionary on furlough from The Philippines preached today, after performing some acrobatics on the stage, including climbing up a tall stack of folding metal chairs and doing a hand stand, mounting a 10' tall unicycle (from the stack of chairs) riding it around and doing a handstand on it, and (what really had me holding my breath) balancing himself straddled on a free standing 10' extension ladder.
5. He then preached from Acts:
... Acts 16, the Macedonian Call: sometimes our plans get changed, etc, for God's sovereign purpose
... Acts 22, Paul shares his testimony
... Acts 26, Paul shares his testimony
... (overall), God's call isn't for "places", but for people, and sometimes for just one person.

Oh yeah, and the young lady sitting in the pew in front of us breast fed her baby pretty much through the entire praise/singing time. I kept my eyes up on the screen, and sang louder than usual. Yes, I did. Really.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Re: It happened at church this morning ...

Post by JMG » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm

This post needs to marked in some what I can find it again down the road when I need to be cheered up. Though after reading this, it seems I really need to step up my game when I share at churches. The most entertaining thing I do is pray in the Hewa language from time-to-time.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:06 pm

JMG wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm
This post needs to marked in some what I can find it again down the road when I need to be cheered up. Though after reading this, it seems I really need to step up my game when I share at churches. The most entertaining thing I do is pray in the Hewa language from time-to-time.
Ha! Yep, he was an acrobat missionary. But he announced this mrng that it was his last performance. No more acrobatics, he said. He preached well, quoting much scripture entirely from memory. Preached the entire time without an open Bible, in fact. But he didn't speak Hewa, and had no harrowing stories to share.
So there you go.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

This pales in comparison....

But after Mass this morning, some guys from our Knights of Columbus hosted a chili cook-off for our little parish, instead of our usual coffee-&-donuts. We didn't actually vote on a winner, but my Kiss-Asterisk* Chili got a whole lot of compliments.
- Of course, everybody complimented Father's Holy Blazes Chili, even though it is just a lot of ground beef, sugar and ketchup.
- My favorite was an old military recipe known as Glen's "Green Floater" Chili

We made $157.75.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:51 pm

S&S, my man.

This sounds like a holy hoot to me.

onya
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:21 pm

The young man sitting in the pew in front of us had what appeared to be thin finish nails, 1" or perhaps 1-1/4" long, sticking through his ear lobes. The pointed ends were up against his neck. I gave him an "A" for originality, but was glad it was him wearing them and not me.

The substitute worship leader kept a capo on the 2nd fret of his guitar throughout the entire service. And I'm pretty sure every song we sang was in the key of "D". But, hey, I could very well be mistaken.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:21 pm
The young man sitting in the pew in front of us had what appeared to be thin finish nails, 1" or perhaps 1-1/4" long, sticking through his ear lobes. The pointed ends were up against his neck. I gave him an "A" for originality, but was glad it was him wearing them and not me.

The substitute worship leader kept a capo on the 2nd fret of his guitar throughout the entire service. And I'm pretty sure every song we sang was in the key of "D". But, hey, I could very well be mistaken.
I intended to add, the sermon was from Proverbs 3, which is becoming one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, regarding a well lived life here on Earth. It was a 37-point sermon, and we were out the door by noon.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

I intended to add, the sermon was from Proverbs 3, which is becoming one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, regarding a well lived life here on Earth. It was a 37-point sermon, and we were out the door by noon.
1) What is a "37-point sermon"?

2) Is "out by noon" early, or late? Sounds late. What time didja start?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:22 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

1) What is a "37-point sermon"?

2) Is "out by noon" early, or late? Sounds late. What time didja start?
1. Like a 37-slide presentation
2. Noon dismissal is typical. Service began at 10:40. Sermon began at abt 11.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 am

You might want to consider getting up a bit earlier and hitting the 9:00 service. Not only does it get you out and on the water earlier, there's not many young, and nursing, families there because it's difficult to wrangle a family to the car and on the road in time for the early service.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 am

Back in the Luv Ya Blue days our church changed the service times to allow people to get home in time for the Oilers games. I'm told attendance increased.
gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 am
Poor Brent.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun May 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Big crowd at church this morning. Sang Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, Revelation Song, and a resurrection song I'm not familiar with. The harmonica player was superb; I confess that I'd attend that church just to hear him play.
The pastor is still crowing about his 37 point sermon last week. Or was it a couple weeks ago? Anyway, Mother's Day is the 3rd largest attendance after Christmas and Easter, since guys attend church for their mothers. And since guys were there for Mother's Day, as a further gift to the mothers the pastor preached to the guys. 1st Peter 3:7. Just one verse. "Love your Children's Mother".
It had more than just one or two guys mumbling. Great sermon, though, and it had me thinking about my mom and dad, and how blessed I really am, and how I have no excuses.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 am

I noticed an uptick as soon as I pulled in to the lot yesterday morning. I used to get perturbed at those three-times-a-year-attenders, but now I understand the HS might use their presence, however forced it may be, to spark a little fire as long as I'm not a dick and don't scare them away. Also, as a guy who lost his mother almost 30 years ago, I say it's never a bad time to respect your mother (or yer mom) and show a little love back to her. It's a tough job. She deserves at least that much.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

It was a very good sermon yesterday on Ephesians 3:14-19. Before the sermon a pastor from a young church in Nigeria was introduced and interviewed about what's going on. He started by saying his name and said "I am not the one who sent you those emails." His comment was well received-- a very pleasant fellow.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning