Joshoowah wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:28 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:48 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:24 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:52 pm
So, all else being equal, a tighter pack leads to less heat in the chamber, as opposed to a looser pack?
Not in my experience, Judge. But what do I know?
I have a few pipes that heat up rather quickly, a couple of them gifts that I would like to smoke in regular rotation, so I hope this discussion brings more ideas.
What type of cut are you using in those pipes? Different cuts require different packs.
Honestly when it comes down to it each pipe has a different personality, so to speak, and has to be treated accordingly. Some smoke hot, others cool, some have an easy draw and others more difficult. You add those variables along with the tobacco variables of cut, leaf varietal and moisture content and you've entered into a world of infinite variation which is precisely the reason we all enjoy this hobby so much.
So, "all else being equal" must be discarded. Sort of a Kobayashi Maru approach.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Re: Thoughts on Pipe Packing

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:26 am

Joshoowah wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
So, all else being equal, a tighter pack leads to less heat in the chamber, as opposed to a looser pack?
I have a few pipes that heat up rather quickly, a couple of them gifts that I would like to smoke in regular rotation, so I hope this discussion brings more ideas.
What type of cut are you using in those pipes? Different cuts require different packs.
Varied, but generally flakes, usually with something similar to the Das Twist, Josh.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:34 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:26 am
Joshoowah wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Varied, but generally flakes, usually with something similar to the Das Twist, Josh.
Some pipes just can't handle flakes, at least in my experience. I have like 4-5 out of the 20 or so I use that can handle them and the rest burn hotter than I care for them to. Those pipes could be golden with a thinner ribbon or cube cut perhaps?
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Flake takes some care in my opinion. I like to fold it and pack the pipe very loosely and then light tamping as it heats up and swells. If I rub it out I tend to pack it too tight. Kakes are another type of tobacco that I have to be careful with. But Prince Albert, I guess it's ribbon cut, is the easiest to pack in my opinion. You almost can't pack it wrong unless you use a C clamp and crush it to a brick.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Flakes are outstanding when done right. My problem is that I miss more than I hit when it comes to packing them well. I've gotten to where I just rub everything and smoke it the way I know how.

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:41 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:38 pm
Flakes are outstanding when done right. My problem is that I miss more than I hit when it comes to packing them well. I've gotten to where I just rub everything and smoke it the way I know how.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:22 pm

"It all depends on how much you drive and how big your tank is!"
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:49 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2009 8:15 am
I was contemplating the universe the other night, 20 May 2009 09:15 CPS Standard Time, precisely. while smoking and my thoughts strayed towards packing my pipe and how I do it a little differently for each pipe that I own. I know all of us have had trouble in the past with packing a pipe especially when we first began That's rather presumptuous. I'm happy to see you have matured in the last decade. Depending on the cut or form of the tobacco we all like to experiment although I've had good luck with the Frank method Frank Schpank when it comes to ribbon or crimp cuts. Flakes, ropes and plugs are a whole different ball game Ball game? Why were you so anti-hockey so long ago? so I won't be covering those here. In any case I like my pipes to have a very free draw with no constriction. I do have one pipe which is a Bjarne bent acorn that has a mildly restricted flow What does this have to do with anything?. This happened to be the pipe I was smoking when my thoughts came to pipe packing Oh. I guess this. I noticed that with the slightly restricted draw that the pipe wasn't as warm to the touch as my other pipes get and I was sipping the smoke more slowly than I do with my open draw pipes. Sooooo, Broski. Tens years back you were into mushroom tea?

This is what came out of that contemplation:

1. With a free draw I noticed I tended to heat up the pipe since it was much easier to take a deeper draw to the temperature of molten lava.

2. If I pack my free draw pipes a little heavier than usual and *slightly* restrict the flow I sip a little slower and the pipe doesn't get anywhere near as hot; Just like a furnace fan in Phoenix Arizona..

3. As an added benefit I've noticed lighter flavors that were meant to come out of the tobacco and weren't "washed out" by the heat generated in the pipe. You were fairly metro back in the day, huh?

Hardly earth shattering revelations but I thought I'd share them with you guys in case there are any new smokers that might find this helpful. Oh. I feel a little dorkly now. Also, remember that it's just as easy to over pack your pipe and completely shut off your draw so that you're having to relight frequently. OK. You just cleared out those points and we've back to even. Luv Luv, if you will.

For me pipe smoking has been a journey of self discovery and a delicate art as well. As an analytical person by trade it's actually nice to step away from "hard science" and enter in a hobby that I truly consider an art since each pipe smoker has different tastes and habits that cannot be covered at all by a single set of instructions. And then one day some dork "gifted" you some Burley & Barf and it forever changed your view on life.
Good talk. Stay in touch.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

7formy1911
Colt = PERFECTION
Colt = PERFECTION

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:09 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:49 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2009 8:15 am
I was contemplating the universe the other night, 20 May 2009 09:15 CPS Standard Time, precisely. while smoking and my thoughts strayed towards packing my pipe and how I do it a little differently for each pipe that I own. I know all of us have had trouble in the past with packing a pipe especially when we first began That's rather presumptuous. I'm happy to see you have matured in the last decade. Depending on the cut or form of the tobacco we all like to experiment although I've had good luck with the Frank method Frank Schpank when it comes to ribbon or crimp cuts. Flakes, ropes and plugs are a whole different ball game Ball game? Why were you so anti-hockey so long ago? so I won't be covering those here. In any case I like my pipes to have a very free draw with no constriction. I do have one pipe which is a Bjarne bent acorn that has a mildly restricted flow What does this have to do with anything?. This happened to be the pipe I was smoking when my thoughts came to pipe packing Oh. I guess this. I noticed that with the slightly restricted draw that the pipe wasn't as warm to the touch as my other pipes get and I was sipping the smoke more slowly than I do with my open draw pipes. Sooooo, Broski. Tens years back you were into mushroom tea?

This is what came out of that contemplation:

1. With a free draw I noticed I tended to heat up the pipe since it was much easier to take a deeper draw to the temperature of molten lava.

2. If I pack my free draw pipes a little heavier than usual and *slightly* restrict the flow I sip a little slower and the pipe doesn't get anywhere near as hot; Just like a furnace fan in Phoenix Arizona..

3. As an added benefit I've noticed lighter flavors that were meant to come out of the tobacco and weren't "washed out" by the heat generated in the pipe. You were fairly metro back in the day, huh?

Hardly earth shattering revelations but I thought I'd share them with you guys in case there are any new smokers that might find this helpful. Oh. I feel a little dorkly now. Also, remember that it's just as easy to over pack your pipe and completely shut off your draw so that you're having to relight frequently. OK. You just cleared out those points and we've back to even. Luv Luv, if you will.

For me pipe smoking has been a journey of self discovery and a delicate art as well. As an analytical person by trade it's actually nice to step away from "hard science" and enter in a hobby that I truly consider an art since each pipe smoker has different tastes and habits that cannot be covered at all by a single set of instructions. And then one day some dork "gifted" you some Burley & Barf and it forever changed your view on life.
Good talk. Stay in touch.
I’ve got love! Which I believe means nothing...
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."