Pipe Cake

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Pipe Cake

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 pm

I have a question about building up cake in a pipe and then switching over to another blend. Some people like to "break in" a new pipe and build up cake then switch to another blend. Others prefer to smoke a new pipe with only one blend, build up the cake and never switch to another blend in that specific pipe. My question is this: is there any conventional wisdom about the cake in a pipe and switching to other blends? Specifically, is there too much flavor carry over from one blend to another? I'm sure the answer is far more convoluted that I want to know about since it probably depends on the strength of the blend but let's just assume that we're working within blend "families" such as burley, virginia, VAPER and English.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Speaking of pipe cake, I forgot again to send you some Red Cake. Will do tomorrow. I'm going to get it now.
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Pipe Cake

Post by wosbald » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:50 pm

+JMJ+
I break in with whatever tobacco I intend to smoke in the pipe. BTW, the flavor is not in the cake (which is primarily carbon) but is, rather, in the wood.

The "common wisdom" really depends on A) how particular or sensitive are your tastes or B) whether you enjoy cross-flavored pipes.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:55 pm

I let the wimmin build the cake. Then I eats it.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:58 pm

Popular wisdom says to build cake with a neutral blend, usually a burley. Leaves no ghost and quickly builds cake. Though I tend to break in a pipe with whatever type of blend I will smoke in that pipe.

If you break in a pipe with let's say a latakia heavy blend it may take a while before the latakia ghost to disappear if you switch blends. So yes you tend to have carry over. As a general rule more carry over with latakia blends and aromatics and less so with VAs and burleys.

Though I sometimes don't mind cross flavors, smoking an english blend in my aromatic pipe or vice versa.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:29 am

Thanks for the replies so far. I was just curious about it since I don't really smoke aromatics or anything with a large amount of latakia. I might just break in all my pipes with Prince Albert to build up some cake. I've noticed that I've had some pipes that smoke hot and wet until it's got a nice cake on it and then it's a whole new animal. The only ghost I've really encountered so far has been from Escudo.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 am

FlyCruiser wrote:Speaking of pipe cake, I forgot again to send you some Red Cake. Will do tomorrow. I'm going to get it now.
I figured the Postman smoked it all up since I didn't see it in the mail :wink:

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:16 am

I dedicate certain blends to some pipes, and smoke many different blends in others. Don't really ever notice much in the way of ghosts or crossover, but then I smoke mostly Virginia and burley. And have bad sinuses.

If you know what you are going to want to smoke in a new pipe (i.e., what you are "dedicating" to it) then fine, break it in with that tobacco. I can't imagine knowing this about every new pipe though, so I break it in with whatever I'm smoking that day. Then whatever the next day, etc. They eventually get broken in and generally smoke great.

All the new pipes I've bought had a coated bowl anyway, so breakin really hasn't been an issue.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:46 am

If you are in God's will, no task is trivial.

“Whoever knows what is right to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin” (Jas 4:17).

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 am

Steverino wrote:I dedicate certain blends to some pipes, and smoke many different blends in others. Don't really ever notice much in the way of ghosts or crossover, but then I smoke mostly Virginia and burley. And have bad sinuses.

If you know what you are going to want to smoke in a new pipe (i.e., what you are "dedicating" to it) then fine, break it in with that tobacco. I can't imagine knowing this about every new pipe though, so I break it in with whatever I'm smoking that day. Then whatever the next day, etc. They eventually get broken in and generally smoke great.
+1
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:08 am

AlwaysLearning wrote:Image
Is that pepper or fruit flies coming out of that pipe?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:16 am

AlwaysLearning wrote:Image

That's very realistic! Like somebody just sneezed the pipe out of his mouth, and it landed on a cake.....
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re:

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:29 am
Thanks for the replies so far. I was just curious about it since I don't really smoke aromatics or anything with a large amount of latakia. I might just break in all my pipes with Prince Albert to build up some cake. I've noticed that I've had some pipes that smoke hot and wet until it's got a nice cake on it and then it's a whole new animal. The only ghost I've really encountered so far has been from Escudo.
I have been painstakingly building cake in the pipe our Joe Goat recently made for me w/ Prince Albert as well. For nearly two weeks now. Because I have heard that Prince Albert builds cake quickly. Probably at least 20 bowls of P.A. now.

After nearly two years of pipe smoking can you believe this is my first new pipe that I really wanted? And, so, that it why it's "painstaking." I want to take good care of this pipe.

I am only just now finding that the cake appears to be acting as a heat sink, or shield, distributing hot spots away from any one spot the ember is close to. I am really happy about seeing this particular result of patience. Soon I can begin to smoke in it some of the favorite VaPers I love.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 pm
I have a question about building up cake in a pipe and then switching over to another blend. Some people like to "break in" a new pipe and build up cake then switch to another blend. Others prefer to smoke a new pipe with only one blend, build up the cake and never switch to another blend in that specific pipe. My question is this: is there any conventional wisdom about the cake in a pipe and switching to other blends? Specifically, is there too much flavor carry over from one blend to another? I'm sure the answer is far more convoluted that I want to know about since it probably depends on the strength of the blend but let's just assume that we're working within blend "families" such as burley, virginia, VAPER and English.
I'm interested. I usually break in with Prince Albert and then smoke whatever I like--vapers, virginias, and scented flakes--and don't much notice. That said, when I have a pipe "sour" or just no longer taste right, I've found that a good reaming is usually the answer. I think the cake itself can sour.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
I'm interested. I usually break in with Prince Albert and then smoke whatever I like--vapers, virginias, and scented flakes--and don't much notice. That said, when I have a pipe "sour" or just no longer taste right, I've found that a good reaming is usually the answer. I think the cake itself can sour.
I was mildly disappointed reading this. It's like believing newby tales. I thought you were a matured smoker. You and I smoke every day so cake is a maintenance problem and not something that requires a special blend. We'll put anything that burns in a our pipes too. So being picky about crossover flavours isn't something that we pay much attention to. It's more like a voyage of discovery. With people who don't smoke very much I can understand cake being a challenge requiring incantations and special blends, but you? It's shocking.

What causes cake?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 am
hugodrax wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
I was mildly disappointed reading this. It's like believing newby tales. I thought you were a matured smoker. You and I smoke every day so cake is a maintenance problem and not something that requires a special blend. We'll put anything that burns in a our pipes too. So being picky about crossover flavours isn't something that we pay much attention to. It's more like a voyage of discovery. With people who don't smoke very much I can understand cake being a challenge requiring incantations and special blends, but you? It's shocking.

What causes cake?
Hmmmm... considering that this question was asked over 8 years ago I think that this a moot point. My experience tells me that all you need to do is experiment with each pipe and just enjoy the hobby whether broken in or not.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 pm
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:

What causes cake?
Hmmmm... considering that this question was asked over 8 years ago I think that this a moot point. My experience tells me that all you need to do is experiment with each pipe and just enjoy the hobby whether broken in or not.
I just asked the question this morning. And you, sir, are ducking a pipe discussion. :D

If folks are going to mention special blends for building cake then I think we should ask what is going on that makes them special.

Here's an interesting piece of advice concerning breaking in new pipes (the bold emphasis is my addition):
SM Frank wrote:Break in Your Pipe without Hurry or Haste

To Savior Full Flavor And Rich Mellow Taste, Break In Your Pipe Without Hurry Or Haste. Actually, there are only two things you must do: Fill the pipe and light it. If it’s a new pipe, fill it about a third full. Pack it a little looser than usual. Smoke it to the bottom. Do this five or six times. Repeat this half full and three-quarters full so that the pipe will start caking from the bottom to the top.
http://www.smfrankcoinc.com/home/?page_id=81

Is he right, will the cake build up from bottom to top?
Has anybody done this? I have. I used to do this with every new pipe when I was much younger and I puzzled over where the cake formed. It's not what he describes. Sometimes I'd smoke it well beyond just 5 or 6 bowls at 1/3 level just to make it very obvious. It's true that the bottom 1/3 of the bowl will season but where is the cake?
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:

What causes cake?
What the heck are you yammering about, old timer?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:21 pm
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:

What causes cake?
What the heck are you yammering about, old timer?
I'm trying to get a pipe discussion started and apparently most are shy. I'm curious about the special blend for breaking in pipes. People have made claims about PA for building cake. Now I don't mind at all if folks just like PA but that it aids in building cake (over many other blends) is a suspicious claim. Seems like a good point for discussion. Where do we get cake on the chamber wall and why? Are there 'better' blends for making a coating of cake reasonably evenly distributed over the chamber walls, and what might be the blend characteristics?
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 pm
SM Frank wrote:
Break in Your Pipe without Hurry or Haste

To Savior Full Flavor And Rich Mellow Taste, Break In Your Pipe Without Hurry Or Haste. Actually, there are only two things you must do: Fill the pipe and light it. If it’s a new pipe, fill it about a third full. Pack it a little looser than usual. Smoke it to the bottom. Do this five or six times. Repeat this half full and three-quarters full so that the pipe will start caking from the bottom to the top.

http://www.smfrankcoinc.com/home/?page_id=81

Is he right, will the cake build up from bottom to top?
If done that way it would seem so. For cake is carbonized sugars, from the tobacco.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis