Page 1 of 1

Reed stem cobs

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 pm
by micah
Anyone tried them?
I'm about to order a couple from Jerry Riggs and was wondering....

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:45 pm
by mountainman
I have a reed stemmed clay that I like very much.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:16 pm
by Del
A classic pipe. Mark Twain enjoyed a reed-stemmed cob among his collection.

Can you give us a link? I'd like to see one.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:19 pm
by mountainman
AFAIK Riggs doesn't have a web site, all is through the mail.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 pm
by tuttle
mountainman wrote:I have a reed stemmed clay that I like very much.
I saw a reed stemmed clay at Missouri Town today (MO Town is a small town in a park recreating Missourah livin in 1855...)

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:10 pm
by mountainman
tuttle wrote:
mountainman wrote:I have a reed stemmed clay that I like very much.
I saw a reed stemmed clay at Missouri Town today (MO Town is a small town in a park recreating Missourah livin in 1855...)
The bowl I have was made around the turn of the century, and sold through www.pipeshoppe.com. You just have to make sure that the stem is in there tight or the bowl might fall off. Though if you do break one replacing it isn't a bit deal, they're all of $10.00

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 pm
by micah
I'll take a pic of the brochure when I get home and post it here.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:05 pm
by micah
Sorry for the quality. Pics were taken with my phone.
I don't know if the reed will offer any more "quality" to the smoke, but maybe a little more authenticity. If nothing else, they look better with the cob, IMO, than the yellowish stem.
Image
Image

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:20 pm
by Del
So.... sticking reeds into Missouri Meerschaum bowls!!!!!

Cute. but I'll stick with my lucite Forever Stem.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:43 pm
by Jocosoe
I can't relate™.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:48 am
by micah
Jocosoe wrote:I can't relate™.
We aren't allowing new people to register because of trolls, but this is tollerated? Someone can't delete this moron?
If you don't have something to add to the thread that isn't anything more than a three year old would do, please get lost.
Ya, I know you will probably just post that again... You might want to go take a look at yourself in the mirror and repeat.... moron, moron, moron

Now for the ones that have reached puberty. Yep. The forever stems are supposed to be awesome. I hope to get one someday. I just thought this might give a person a little more of a feel of how it was to smoke a cob from years ago. Gonna give it a try. I kinda like the looks as well. I can just see my great, great grandfather sitting around the campfire after whooping some yankee's butt and reliving the battle with his Confederate brothers.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:37 am
by mountainman
micah wrote:I can just see my great, great grandfather sitting around the campfire after whooping some yankee's butt and reliving the battle with his Confederate brothers.
I like this. My great great grandpa would have been right there with yours!

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:50 am
by FlyCruiser
I have made a few reed stemmed corn cob pipes and do enjoy them. it took all of ten minutes sitting by the wood burning stove in the hunting cabin. I just need to find some bigger cobs next time. The one i made smokes half a flake just fine.

How does one get in touch with that guy selling them? I like the country gentleman pipe he is selling.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:17 am
by nosferatu
I am curious about these myself!

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:44 pm
by dennisthemenace
My younger son and I each have a couple of his Missouri Pride bowled reed stemmed pipes. We both really like the way they smoke. Jerry is also a heck of a nice guy.

Re: Reed stem cobs

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:34 pm
by A_Morley
All of the reed stems I've encountered were of bamboo. What I would like to know is if there are any other suitable reeds for pipe stem fabrication? What would be your nominations?

Re: Reed stem cobs

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:13 pm
by dennisthemenace
Jerry's corn cob pipes have bamboo reed stems. I think that the clays I've seen have river reed stems. I have one stuck in the bowl of my Mr Brog Old Army model that the plastic mouthpiece broke. I was too cheap to have one made that would've been more $ than the pipe cost.

Re:

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:43 pm
by Jocosoe
micah wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:48 am
Jocosoe wrote:I can't relate™™.
We aren't allowing new people to register because of trolls, but this is tollerated? Someone can't delete this moron?
If you don't have something to add to the thread that isn't anything more than a three year old would do, please get lost.
Ya, I know you will probably just post that again... You might want to go take a look at yourself in the mirror and repeat.... moron, moron, moron

Now for the ones that have reached puberty. Yep. The forever stems are supposed to be awesome. I hope to get one someday. I just thought this might give a person a little more of a feel of how it was to smoke a cob from years ago. Gonna give it a try. I kinda like the looks as well. I can just see my great, great grandfather sitting around the campfire after whooping some yankee's butt and reliving the battle with his Confederate brothers.
I can't relate™.