How many pipes are in your rack?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
JerBear
Usher
Usher

How many pipes are in your rack?

Post by JerBear » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:00 am

This is not a thread for bragging... Ok, maybe it is, brag all you want. I have a humble collection of 5 pipes and want to buy my sixth pretty much right now. My wife thinks I'm losing it because I already have "so many". Hopefully, she will see this thread and realize that 6 pipes is not that much by comparison. So don't post if you only have one... You won't be helping my cause. :lol:
Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be 'til I die.

Shawn_M
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Shawn_M » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 am

296 or 297.

I have not been able to add to it lately but hopefully I will soon.
One day the beard will look up and whisper; "shave us". And I shall look down and whisper; "no".

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:11 am

Right now, four. I've got a few others, mainly souveniers or pipes
inherited (which I don't smoke but keep in reserve) in a cigar box
somewhere, but currently only four "smokers" in the rack. I have
had as many as fifteen though (I must be slowing down in my old
age! 8O )
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:14 am

I don't use a rack, but I have one. I should give the rack away.

:)

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:28 am

I guess it has been a while since this question was asked.

I just looked and I don't have any in the rack.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:37 am

None of my pipes are all that special (one Savinelli, a really cool Yello-Bole from the early 30s, an interestingly designed handcarved with indecipherable markings I call "The Unknown Handcarved" and a couple other cool but inexpensive pipes like my Jobey Stromboli author and a meerschaum churchwarden), and I do have one pipe rack and one really cool tobacco-cabinet with racks on either side, but the actual count of my smokeable pipes (I have a couple more I could clean up with some hard work, like I did with that old Yello-Bole) is 23.

Actually, I forgot to count the Day & Night churchwarden (anyone heard of that brand?) that just sits on top of my tobacco cabinet, so I have 24 smokeable pipes.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:59 am

I've been thinking of starting a similar thread for a while. I know the subject has been done a few times in the past, but more pipe talk would certainly be welcome. Last Christmas Mrs. Gabriel took a gamble on an Ebay lot and so my pipe collection more than doubled. I keep meaning to take some pics. Once I do I'll post them to this thread.

As far as pipes I regularly smoke, I'm thinking... <edit> Wow. I've done some brainstorming and, counting pipes i don't really smoke much if at all (some clays, collectibles, an unsmoked cob, etc, etc) I come up with around 15 or so.

I regularly smoke about 7 of them.

Pics and details, folks! Lets actually talk pipes for a bit. :D
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:21 am

There's always room for just one more.

I haven't updated my spreadsheet in a while, but it should be around 100. I've given some away and have about 20-30 more that need to go to good homes. I intended to decrease the quantity as I increased the quality of my collection, but haven't been keeping up.

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:26 am

I've got about 40 but try to keep my smoking rotation down to 9. Though lately these 3 have been seeing the most action.

I'm a nerd. I like numbers and order. My main "smoking" rack is a 9 pipe rack with a glass jar in the middle. It's broken down into three sections each holding 3. I have 3 "different" shapes in one section, the ones shown above, 3 traditional briars and 3 cobs on the rack. I try to keep them in some order. Again, I'm a nerd.
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:29 am

I was supposed to stop at 26. I still have slots for 3 more, but the last 6 bang upright rack was supposed to be used for the ones that needed cleaning.

Oh wait, I forgot. Just got number 34 - N8's Real McCoy. See now, that's a little guy that needs its own single pipe rest. It's sitting in the one I have on the desk, but that supposed to be for immediate use.

It's not that I have too many pipes; I just don't have enough racks and stands.

Oh the CPS POY '12 will be 35, if I don't get any more this year.

I consider this a modest collection.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:30 am

Gabriel wrote:but more pipe talk would certainly be welcome...

Pics and details, folks! Lets actually talk pipes for a bit. :D
Hear, hear! :pipe2:
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32 am

FlyCruiser wrote:I've got about 40 but try to keep my smoking rotation down to 9. Though lately these 3 have been seeing the most action.

I'm a nerd. I like numbers and order. My main "smoking" rack is a 9 pipe rack with a glass jar in the middle. It's broken down into three sections each holding 3. I have 3 "different" shapes in one section, the ones shown above, 3 traditional briars and 3 cobs on the rack. I try to keep them in some order. Again, I'm a nerd.
ain't nuthin' nerdy 'bout it. I got my segregated as well. Now that aughtta scare ya
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:48 am

DepartedLight wrote:ain't nuthin' nerdy 'bout it. I got my segregated as well. Now that aughtta scare ya
I'm from Alabama, I'm used to it!
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

bryanlefever
Pastor
Pastor

Post by bryanlefever » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 am

Im pretty sure I have 15 scattered about. Some in my man cave, some in my smoking table, a few on racks one in my glovebox of my work truck and the rest in my pipe messenger bag that I take with me everywhere. Almost positive a friend had at least one.
"A Pipe Gives A Wise Man Time To Think, And A Fool Something To Stick In His Mouth"

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:38 am

In a rack? None. In socks or cases all 158.
Now you should ask how many racks I have.

But really it's not the absolute number that your wife should be judging.

If she wants to judge it's pipes per year acquired. 40 years pipe smoking for me. 158 pipes/40 years ~ 4 pipes/year.

Of course there are many more expensive hobbies. And pipes helps us to avoid some of the worst of these. It's a money saver for the household. So I really think we should get a credit of 2 pipes per year, as a thank you, for each expensive hobby avoided. I personally avoided 12m ocean yacht racing. Plus I don't have a Titan-Mercury launch vehicle in any barn nearby. Nor did I take up sailplanes nor spelunking. It was close in the case of sailplanes. It's rather easy to build up a good credit rating that allows a modest number of new pipes per year.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:40 am

Rusty wrote:But really it's not the absolute number that your wife should be judging.

If she wants to judge it's pipes per year acquired. 40 years pipe smoking for me. 158 pipes/40 years ~ 4 pipes/year.

Of course there are many more expensive hobbies. And pipes helps us to avoid some of the worst of these. It's a money saver for the household. So I really think we should get a credit of 2 pipes per year, as a thank you, for each expensive hobby avoided.
A hearty +100 here!
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:07 am

In my household we actually discussed pipe-$/year. And it was tied to disposable hobby income. But these are things a couple can agree upon. There will be years when you buy no pipes and there will be years when the PAD demon urges you on.

If you keep track of pipe purchases then you can calculate the instantaneous PAD moment dP/dt. And of course there is the second order d^2P/dt^2 that measures something like the acceleration in PAD. It can be scary. I've resisted developing Rusty's pipe mechanics.

More practical I actually have a graph of number pipes purchased over each year of the 40 years. So I can tell when the PAD demon relented vs. applied his little urges. And I know when each and every pipe was purchased and that's interesting because themes and variations in collecting appear.

Some wives are inured to math (esp if you just happened to have been her TA in 1st year calculus) so don't lean on that one too heavily.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JerBear
Usher
Usher

Post by JerBear » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 am

FlyCruiser wrote:I've got about 40 but try to keep my smoking rotation down to 9. Though lately these 3 have been seeing the most action.

I like the style of that black one. What kind of pipe is that?
Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be 'til I die.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:23 am

JerBear wrote:

I like the style of that black one. What kind of pipe is that?
That's PAD rearing its ugly head. And in a thread about pipe numbers, that you plan to parade in front of your wife to demonstrate your self discipline, you shouldn't do that.

It's Danish as are the rest of his shapes shown. Stanwell makes things like that. Do you want the Stanwell shape number?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

graperonto
Usher
Usher

Post by graperonto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

OK, this is my first ever attempt to post a picture...