gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:14 pm

BubbaJack wrote:
gravel wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Biker_Piper wrote:[img]pic%20of%20pipes[/img]
Great photo (except there's a vegetable on the table.... not sure that classifies as a pipe :) )!!
Those look mahogany to me.
Ummm, might 2x7 have been referring to the Cob rather than the gourd style pipes?
Possibly.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:16 pm

gravel wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
gravel wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Biker_Piper wrote:[img]pic%20of%20pipes[/img]
Great photo (except there's a vegetable on the table.... not sure that classifies as a pipe :) )!!
Those look mahogany to me.
Ummm, might 2x7 have been referring to the Cob rather than the gourd style pipes?
Possibly.
This brings up an interesting point which probably deserves it's own thread.

Is a calabash pipe a cob-like vegetable creature? Or in view that the actual firebox is meerschaum, does that make it a meerschaum with a vegetable "overcoat?"
What if, perchance some entrepenuer lined a cob with meerschaum? Does that make it less a cob?
Inquiring minds want to know!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Personally, I count a calabash as a meer because of the insert. The gourd is just a handle.
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Hovannes wrote:This brings up an interesting point which probably deserves it's own thread.

Is a calabash pipe a cob-like vegetable creature? Or in view that the actual firebox is meerschaum, does that make it a meerschaum with a vegetable "overcoat?"
What if, perchance some entrepenuer lined a cob with meerschaum? Does that make it less a cob?
Ever smoked one? I mean a gourd calabash with a meerschaum cup. If not then all this pronouncing on their nature sort of misses the point.

They're quite worthwhile and last a lot longer than one might presume. They absorb copious quantities of tar, nicotine, and flavour when new and as a consequence the flavour you get is quite light. So you can smoke stronger tobaccos at the beginning. With use the tobaccos strengthen and they resonate strongly with the blends one smokes. If you have a habit of smoking one then most everything will be flavoured with that.

Mine still tastes like Sobranie smoking mixture. All I have to do is put just about any English in and I get Sobranie out. Not a bad deal when one wants that.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:40 pm

I need a good pipe rack. Saw 2 or 3 today in an antique shop, all were priced at ~$30 ea; but I just couldn't decide, so I didn't even try to bargain.
Last edited by sweetandsour on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:This brings up an interesting point which probably deserves it's own thread.

Ever smoked one? I mean a gourd calabash with a meerschaum cup. If not then all this pronouncing on their nature sort of misses the point.

They're quite worthwhile and last a lot longer than one might presume. They absorb copious quantities of tar, nicotine, and flavour when new and as a consequence the flavour you get is quite light. So you can smoke stronger tobaccos at the beginning. With use the tobaccos strengthen and they resonate strongly with the blends one smokes. If you have a habit of smoking one then most everything will be flavoured with that.

Mine still tastes like Sobranie smoking mixture. All I have to do is put just about any English in and I get Sobranie out. Not a bad deal when one wants that.
I do have a Pioneer Calabash purchased in the 70's at a Tinderbox and did put quite a few enjoyable bowls through it over time, however it is a pipe to savor in a Chesterfield with a thick book (or at least in a junior faculty office furnished with prison built institutional furniture, with a big thick book) rather than whilst walking milady's terriers or mowing the South 40, and since I don't smoke inside, my trusty 'bash has been at rest in a cigar box with other specimens collected over time.
But it is mostly a "vegetable" like a cob, which is why I brought up the question.

I like Rainman's answer "a calabash is a meer because of the insert. The gourd is just a handle."
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:10 pm

I still say cobs smoke pretty well for a vegetable, with certain tobaccos and in the right setting/mood. I think I broke mine (don't remember the circumstances, but I think I was trying to use the stem to refurbish another cheap Ebay pipe, and failed in the attempt). I might buy another just for fun, and smoke some PA in it sometime. They are certainly a cheap pleasure! (And an American Icon!) :lol:
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:37 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:I still say cobs smoke pretty well for a vegetable, with certain tobaccos and in the right setting/mood. I think I broke mine (don't remember the circumstances, but I think I was trying to use the stem to refurbish another cheap Ebay pipe, and failed in the attempt). I might buy another just for fun, and smoke some PA in it sometime. They are certainly a cheap pleasure! (And an American Icon!) :lol:
:thumbsup:

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Hovannes wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:I still say cobs smoke pretty well for a vegetable, with certain tobaccos and in the right setting/mood. I think I broke mine (don't remember the circumstances, but I think I was trying to use the stem to refurbish another cheap Ebay pipe, and failed in the attempt). I might buy another just for fun, and smoke some PA in it sometime. They are certainly a cheap pleasure! (And an American Icon!) :lol:
<redacted_emoji> One might conclude that you folks have smoked tobacco in a wide variety of vegetables so that your judgment on these matters actually was insightful. Who knew Christians did this?

What happened to your calabash?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
<redacted_emoji> One might conclude that you folks have smoked tobacco in a wide variety of vegetables so that your judgment on these matters actually was insightful. Who knew Christians did this?
I don't know. In my early 20s I smoked something that wasn't tobacco out of an apple with a "bowl" and hole cut in it. Didn't really work as well as it was touted to.

Now of course, an apple is a fruit, not a vegetable...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

JerBear
Usher
Usher

Post by JerBear » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:44 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
I don't know. In my early 20s I smoked something that wasn't tobacco out of an apple with a "bowl" and hole cut in it. Didn't really work as well as it was touted to.

Smoking things that are not tobacco often seems to lead to smoking out of things that are not pipes. I know this firsthand, unfortunately.

On a related note, did you know that smoking out of a beer can could potentially increase your risk of Alzheimer's? Or so I've heard.
Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be 'til I die.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:47 pm

JerBear wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

Smoking things that are not tobacco often seems to lead to smoking out of things that are not pipes. I know this firsthand, unfortunately.

On a related note, did you know that smoking out of a beer can could potentially increase your risk of Alzheimer's? Or so I've heard.
Now, even 20 years ago, I was smart enough to find something better than a beer can!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

gravel

Post by gravel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 am

Ok, I'm sitting here with my shoebox filled with pipe socks. Inside those pipe socks are pipes.

My pipe rack

3 Cobs
1 Unappealing Meer
1 Churchwarden
24 Briars

1 CPS 2012 POY incoming.

Pictures of what is inside can be found here.
Last edited by gravel on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:59 am

gravel wrote: 3 cOBs
Have you no shame?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

gravel

Post by gravel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:00 am

Jocose wrote:
gravel wrote: 3 cOBs
Have you no shame?
I dance like a fool with my 5 and 7 year old daughters. I have no shame.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:47 pm

xxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 am

MrPiper wrote:Just counted...

I have an antique "J.C.Penny" Sherlock Holmes Pipe rack that has 8 assorted briars and a meer in it.

A 4 spot old "Decatur Industries" with a tobacco jar. 3 Briars there.

1 "Savoy" 4 pipe leather case containing 4.

a Dog Urinating on the Pipe pipe stand with 1.

16 Total.
<snip>
Can we see a picture of that?

pscharnett
Usher
Usher

Post by pscharnett » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:29 pm

4 total.

1 beautiful SMS Bacchus meer
1 excellent-smoking Erik Nording freehand
1 super-light Georg Jensen billiard
1 corncob

Perhaps I haven't gotten into pipes enough or I just haven't gotten a chance to enjoy them enough. Always room for more!
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. -Proverbs 3:5-6

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 pm

xxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 am

How funny!