Mercy! I just bought another pipe!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15064
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Post by Cleon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:22 am

Irish-Dane wrote:Pulling up a chair and getting ready for round two. Wos, you making the popcorn?
:D

I am covered with work! I really shouldn't have poked the bear today because I really don't have the time to shoot it.

Rusty is sport enough. And patient. We'll see what he comes up with.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Post by Rusty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:56 am

Speak of the devil! See Fiddlestix? Just as I have foretold. Voila the Cleon!

LOL!

You'll also note that folks almost never change their mind. Where would be the fun in that? We could rehash the whole discussion but he's simply insensitive to bottoms. But we can each agree on the following statement and we both say it.

"I'm right and he's wrong."

The thread he ref'ed is good reading. You'll note that he went away in confusion and even Pease saw his question as heretical.

BTW this is not an element of faith or scripture in the Rustinian Order. We prefer the discussion to the heavy-handed doctrinal approach. So you can make up your own mind. My view seems to be same as the old line & modern British manufacturers but there are exceptions. GBD tended to oscillate back and forth on this. One can find examples where they agree with Cleon others where they agree with me. But this is one of the interesting parts of pipe collecting.

Some of mine...
Image
There is one Rhodesian in that lineup. And in this case Cleon's definition comes to the same answer as my definition but look at the bowl bottoms.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:10 am

Rusty wrote:The thread he ref'ed is good reading.
It was indeed.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4893
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:26 am

I still can't get into Peterson's...and that makes me sad because I think I should. Maybe I just haven't found that one I like.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15064
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Post by Cleon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Rusty wrote:Speak of the devil! See Fiddlestix? Just as I have foretold. Voila the Cleon!

LOL!

You'll also note that folks almost never change their mind. Where would be the fun in that? We could rehash the whole discussion but he's simply insensitive to bottoms. But we can each agree on the following statement and we both say it.

"I'm right and he's wrong."

The thread he ref'ed is good reading. You'll note that he went away in confusion and even Pease saw his question as heretical.

BTW this is not an element of faith or scripture in the Rustinian Order. We prefer the discussion to the heavy-handed doctrinal approach. So you can make up your own mind. My view seems to be same as the old line & modern British manufacturers but there are exceptions. GBD tended to oscillate back and forth on this. One can find examples where they agree with Cleon others where they agree with me. But this is one of the interesting parts of pipe collecting.

Some of mine...
Image
There is one Rhodesian in that lineup. And in this case Cleon's definition comes to the same answer as my definition but look at the bowl bottoms.
Oh, c'mon. More dogma! Less fluff! Tell him what to believe.

As always, nice pipes!
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24528
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Post by Hovannes » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Joshoowah wrote:I still can't get into Peterson's...and that makes me sad because I think I should. Maybe I just haven't found that one I like.
It took me a long time to appreciate Petersons---the Irish Seconds/Shamrock line first(because they were inexpensive and famous for being very good smokers,) then the Systems.

In the 70's my friends and I would go into the Tinderbox at the mall and shake our heads at the Peterson Systems---what kind of funky junk was this? Danish Free hands were all the rage then and the antiquated Peterson Systems looked old! We thought Peterson would surely be run out of business before too long!

Now I've got three of those Systems!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by fiddlestix » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Rusty wrote:Speak of the devil! See Fiddlestix? Just as I have foretold. Voila the Cleon!

LOL!

You'll also note that folks almost never change their mind. Where would be the fun in that? We could rehash the whole discussion but he's simply insensitive to bottoms. But we can each agree on the following statement and we both say it.

"I'm right and he's wrong."

The thread he ref'ed is good reading. You'll note that he went away in confusion and even Pease saw his question as heretical.

BTW this is not an element of faith or scripture in the Rustinian Order. We prefer the discussion to the heavy-handed doctrinal approach. So you can make up your own mind. My view seems to be same as the old line & modern British manufacturers but there are exceptions. GBD tended to oscillate back and forth on this. One can find examples where they agree with Cleon others where they agree with me. But this is one of the interesting parts of pipe collecting.

Some of mine...
Image
There is one Rhodesian in that lineup. And in this case Cleon's definition comes to the same answer as my definition but look at the bowl bottoms.
Well, now I guess I nave my reading lined up for the evening. In the mean time, I would like to propose that any pipe that cannot be agreed upon as definitively a bulldog or definitively a rhodesian be heretofore referred to simply as a "rhode-dog".

Seriously though, I am wanting to try my hand at pipe making in the not too distant future and the first pipe that I am envisioning is somewhere in that grey area and if I get really gutsy, it's going to be a very petite "rhode-dog" with a bamboo shank. Don't know if I'm bold enough to attempt that for my first go at pipe making or not, but you never know...

Regardless, I'd like to know what to call it and now I know I'll be wrong either way. :D

User avatar
fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by fiddlestix » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:43 pm

BTW, nice pipes Rusty! The one on the bottom, especially!!

User avatar
fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by fiddlestix » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:I still can't get into Peterson's...and that makes me sad because I think I should. Maybe I just haven't found that one I like.
It took me a long time to appreciate Petersons---the Irish Seconds/Shamrock line first(because they were inexpensive and famous for being very good smokers,) then the Systems.

In the 70's my friends and I would go into the Tinderbox at the mall and shake our heads at the Peterson Systems---what kind of funky junk was this? Danish Free hands were all the rage then and the antiquated Peterson Systems looked old! We thought Peterson would surely be run out of business before too long!

Now I've got three of those Systems!
Image
This is the only Peterson that I have owned. Got it for $7.00 at a flea market. It didn't particularly ring my bell, so I traded it in at JFH for an Acorti, which I I recently traded, along with a couple of other flea market pipes, for a Ser Jacopo. I would like to try one of the system pipes sometime.

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Oh dear, that's a pretty Pete. You made my heart bleed a little saying you got it for $7 and then again when you said you didn't like it. I don't know that I'm the resident Peterson expert on CPS, but I know based on other threads that I at least have as many as anyone else (that has shared). Anyway, that at least was a nice pipe you had.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by fiddlestix » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:Oh dear, that's a pretty Pete. You made my heart bleed a little saying you got it for $7 and then again when you said you didn't like it. I don't know that I'm the resident Peterson expert on CPS, but I know based on other threads that I at least have as many as anyone else (that has shared). Anyway, that at least was a nice pipe you had.
I didn't care for the bright red color and it had some very visible fills that bugged me. With the red color, the fills looked bright pink. If it wouldn't have been for those two issues, Ida kept it.

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 17006
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:45 pm

I enjoy my Peterson's. Very solid pipes, but I'm not a fan of the P-Lip.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15064
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Post by Cleon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 pm

fiddlestix wrote:
Rusty wrote:Speak of the devil! See Fiddlestix? Just as I have foretold. Voila the Cleon!

LOL!

You'll also note that folks almost never change their mind. Where would be the fun in that? We could rehash the whole discussion but he's simply insensitive to bottoms. But we can each agree on the following statement and we both say it.

"I'm right and he's wrong."

The thread he ref'ed is good reading. You'll note that he went away in confusion and even Pease saw his question as heretical.

BTW this is not an element of faith or scripture in the Rustinian Order. We prefer the discussion to the heavy-handed doctrinal approach. So you can make up your own mind. My view seems to be same as the old line & modern British manufacturers but there are exceptions. GBD tended to oscillate back and forth on this. One can find examples where they agree with Cleon others where they agree with me. But this is one of the interesting parts of pipe collecting.

Some of mine...
Image
There is one Rhodesian in that lineup. And in this case Cleon's definition comes to the same answer as my definition but look at the bowl bottoms.
Well, now I guess I nave my reading lined up for the evening. In the mean time, I would like to propose that any pipe that cannot be agreed upon as definitively a bulldog or definitively a rhodesian be heretofore referred to simply as a "rhode-dog".

Seriously though, I am wanting to try my hand at pipe making in the not too distant future and the first pipe that I am envisioning is somewhere in that grey area and if I get really gutsy, it's going to be a very petite "rhode-dog" with a bamboo shank. Don't know if I'm bold enough to attempt that for my first go at pipe making or not, but you never know...

Regardless, I'd like to know what to call it and now I know I'll be wrong either way. :D
If you stick some bamboo in the shank then yer gonna have to call it a Rhodesian unless you can find square bamboo.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4880
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Post by nosferatu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Rusty wrote:
nosferatu wrote:The link you posted was to a 302... I have yet to get the 303 still but want a P-lip 303 quite badly.
That's Erwin Schrodinger, theoretical physicist, Nobel laureate, creator of the wave equation now called Schrodinger's equation and resident pipe smoker of Dublin from 1939 until he retired in the mid 50's. He was a Peterson fan. I think he's holding a 303 in the pic above. It's not quite big enough to be a 302. There are quite a few pics of him smoking Peterson's and because the pipes are so readily identifiable he's one of the few for whom we know the pipe. So we can wonder about the shape instead.

Image
Which shape is he smoking here?
I am familiar with Schrodinger... he had a cat, right? :P

Shape looks similar to a 314 or a 317. The size makes me think 317.

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:23 am

nosferatu wrote:
Rusty wrote:
nosferatu wrote:The link you posted was to a 302... I have yet to get the 303 still but want a P-lip 303 quite badly.
That's Erwin Schrodinger, theoretical physicist, Nobel laureate, creator of the wave equation now called Schrodinger's equation and resident pipe smoker of Dublin from 1939 until he retired in the mid 50's. He was a Peterson fan. I think he's holding a 303 in the pic above. It's not quite big enough to be a 302. There are quite a few pics of him smoking Peterson's and because the pipes are so readily identifiable he's one of the few for whom we know the pipe. So we can wonder about the shape instead.

Image
Which shape is he smoking here?
I am familiar with Schrodinger... he had a cat, right? :P

Shape looks similar to a 314 or a 317. The size makes me think 317.
He asserts that he had a cat until he looked. He also had that equation, which I enjoy. And he had two wives at any given time or maybe it was only wife that was delocalized? I'll leave it as an odd domestic arrangement.

I'm a bigger Pete System fan. That's not necessarily a bigger fan than anyone else particularly but rather I prefer the bigger shapes. Wasn't much attracted to the wee ones. I have a thing for the 307 shape. So in honour of Schrodinger I'll illustrate the wave nature of a macroscopic object with a photograph of my Pete System pipes rather than show an imaginary 303 or 317. It's also an example of the superposition principle.

Image

Top 2: early 70's #312 System Std, 1981 XL02 Burgundy Silver Mount
Middle 3: 1997 Pete House Pipe, early 70's pair of #307 System Std's
Bottom one: 1979 Pete Deluxe System 9S

The big House pipe is showing its wave nature and is actually a little indistinct because it's delocalized. But in fact this is one of its better days. The beast does that as does everything else... sorta. Some days it appears even less distinct and I've determined that it is in fact smeared over a number of places all due to superposition. If you ever see it looking ghostly in your pipe rack just leave it and it'll vanish a little later. It's just occupying my rack and yours... Both are solutions to the Schrodinger equation.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:33 am

Rusty wrote:Some of mine...
Image
Rus, is the black one a Sherlock?
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:19 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:Some of mine...
Image
Rus, is the black one a Sherlock?
Yes, that's a Sherlock Holmes Baker Street in Ebony finish. That series really shines in the Ebony (dress) finish with the wide sterling band for contrast. Quite elegant pipes. I like the Bulldog bowl proportions on that model (and it's Kinsale line cousin) over those of the Peterson's 150 shape. It also exhibits the classic Bulldog proportions overall compared to the rest in the pic which have longer shanks than the classic proportions. The Brigham sitting next to it is from a grade that Brigham, in the past, often used for intentional variations on classic shapes like a longer shank or a bit more cant to the bowl etc in addition to better grain. All the rest are hand made.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:35 am

Rusty wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:Some of mine...
Image
Rus, is the black one a Sherlock?
Yes, that's a Sherlock Holmes Baker Street in Ebony finish. That series really shines in the Ebony (dress) finish with the wide sterling band for contrast. Quite elegant pipes. I like the Bulldog bowl proportions on that model (and it's Kinsale line cousin) over those of the Peterson's 150 shape. It also exhibits the classic Bulldog proportions overall compared to the rest in the pic which have longer shanks than the classic proportions.
I have the same pipe but in a red/brown stain color. And you are right in saying it is an elegant pipe. I take it out of its sock every once in awhile just to look at it. It certainly doesn't see the rotation time as some of my other Pete's, but it is one of the sharpest looking ones I own.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:39 am

Irish-Dane wrote:content snipped...
Mine was a gift so I don't want to say I like the Ebony finish better, but...
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:content snipped...
Mine was a gift so I don't want to say I like the Ebony finish better, but...
You can always add to the heap. :D

I have a Watson in the red/brown clear finish and I think adding an Ebony finished one is fine. I haven't but if I saw one at a good price I probably would. They're different creatures in Ebony. It's hard to explain until one is face-to-face with one and then it's manifestly obvious. But the ebony version doesn't replace the clear finished one either. The curious thing is that it's not just simple repetition of the same pipe. I really like the series. It's a terribly great and enjoyable reason for PAD. Then there's the Darwin - I like that one in it's deluxe dress and I think it might also make a great ebony dress pipe.

My Baker Street gets quite a bit of use. All of them in that pic are almost permanently in the rotation. I can't remember the last time that I rested any of them.

The other quite different series that I have a weakness for are the Savinelli Collectors. Despite the fiddly filter plumbing I smoke all mine quite a bit. I enjoy the shapes here too but there is less variation in any given year or shape. They're roughly the size of the Pete Homes series too.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Post Reply