Mercy! I just bought another pipe!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 am

I have envy of Rusty's bulldogs.

I will smoke my 999 today, in honor of this discussion.

It has a Donegal Rocky finish (my favorite of the Pete rustications), a silver band and a p-lip. I bought it from Nosferatu.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 am

Rusty wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:content snipped...
Mine was a gift so I don't want to say I like the Ebony finish better, but...
You can always add to the heap. :D

I have a Watson in the red/brown clear finish and I think adding an Ebony finished one is fine. I haven't but if I saw one at a good price I probably would. They're different creatures in Ebony. It's hard to explain until one is face-to-face with one and then it's manifestly obvious. But the ebony version doesn't replace the clear finished one either. The curious thing is that it's not just simple repetition of the same pipe. I really like the series. It's a terribly great and enjoyable reason for PAD. Then there's the Darwin - I like that one in it's deluxe dress and I think it might also make a great ebony dress pipe.

My Baker Street gets quite a bit of use. All of them in that pic are almost permanently in the rotation. I can't remember the last time that I rested any of them.
I have two ebony finish Petes and I would tend to agree that all Pete lines are not just different shapes with the same paint... there is a decided difference from one to other, even with the same finishes. As for smoking preferences, the Baker Street is a larger bowled pipe and I tend to gravitate to a slightly smaller bowl like, say, the couple Pre-Republic billiards that see regular use in my rotation.

I like this discussion.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am

Del wrote:I have envy of Rusty's bulldogs.

I will smoke my 999 today, in honor of this discussion.

It has a Donegal Rocky finish (my favorite of the Pete rustications), a silver band and a p-lip. I bought it from Nosferatu.
Don't have envy. Instead buy more. You have a lifetime so there is no hurry except for picking out the ones that really talk to you. The latter always seem to be time sensitive. But like trains they come along regularly.

If I photographed the entire Bulldog/Rhody bunch (some 19 or 20 pipes) & posted it you would be in shock. Either that or you'd say "I've met mania and that's it!" I have a hard time looking at them all so I'm careful not to shock the rest of you. There seems to be some critical mass involved and I'm well over that. 8)

The really odd thing is that I was generally unaware that they were accumulating. It's a hormonal thing maybe.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:58 am

Rusty wrote:Don't have envy. Instead buy more. You have a lifetime so there is no hurry except for picking out the ones that really talk to you.
Serious question Rusty: What is your after-life plan for your pipes? Pass on to relatives? If so, is that in your Will? Or did you leave specific instructions for your wife to sell, fund her retirement, something else? I'm seriously asking.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Rusty wrote:All the rest are hand made.
By whom?

Del

Post by Del » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Rusty wrote:The really odd thing is that I was generally unaware that they were accumulating. It's a hormonal thing maybe.
I had the same experience. One day, I was looking at my pipes (collected over time and at various places) and noticed that more than half of them sport a ring around the middle.

That's when I realized that I love bulldogs.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Del wrote:That's when I realized that I love bulldogs.
+1
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Rusty wrote:
nosferatu wrote:
Rusty wrote:
nosferatu wrote:The link you posted was to a 302... I have yet to get the 303 still but want a P-lip 303 quite badly.
That's Erwin Schrodinger, theoretical physicist, Nobel laureate, creator of the wave equation now called Schrodinger's equation and resident pipe smoker of Dublin from 1939 until he retired in the mid 50's. He was a Peterson fan. I think he's holding a 303 in the pic above. It's not quite big enough to be a 302. There are quite a few pics of him smoking Peterson's and because the pipes are so readily identifiable he's one of the few for whom we know the pipe. So we can wonder about the shape instead.

Which shape is he smoking here?
I am familiar with Schrodinger... he had a cat, right? :P

Shape looks similar to a 314 or a 317. The size makes me think 317.
He asserts that he had a cat until he looked. He also had that equation, which I enjoy. And he had two wives at any given time or maybe it was only wife that was delocalized? I'll leave it as an odd domestic arrangement.

I'm a bigger Pete System fan. That's not necessarily a bigger fan than anyone else particularly but rather I prefer the bigger shapes. Wasn't much attracted to the wee ones. I have a thing for the 307 shape. So in honour of Schrodinger I'll illustrate the wave nature of a macroscopic object with a photograph of my Pete System pipes rather than show an imaginary 303 or 317. It's also an example of the superposition principle.

Top 2: early 70's #312 System Std, 1981 XL02 Burgundy Silver Mount
Middle 3: 1997 Pete House Pipe, early 70's pair of #307 System Std's
Bottom one: 1979 Pete Deluxe System 9S

The big House pipe is showing its wave nature and is actually a little indistinct because it's delocalized. But in fact this is one of its better days. The beast does that as does everything else... sorta. Some days it appears even less distinct and I've determined that it is in fact smeared over a number of places all due to superposition. If you ever see it looking ghostly in your pipe rack just leave it and it'll vanish a little later. It's just occupying my rack and yours... Both are solutions to the Schrodinger equation.
:lol: that's brilliant. I too like larger Petes. I currently have six Petes; four are bigger: an ebony 302, a sandblasted 309, a smooth 2007 POY, and a smooth Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker. The two smaller ones are a rusticated 313 and a smooth 314, which serve me well when I do not have an extravagant amount of time to smoke. The 302 is to me as the 307 is to you. I love that shape.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Re: Mercy! I just bought another pipe!

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 am

I have a developing case of PAD with a bulldogish/Rhodie emphasis. My wife, God love her, immunized me a few years back and I've been PAD free since. I must need a booster now. A small, straight, pencil shanked Rhodesian sounds mighty good.

Look at these:
Oh. Just, oh.

Also, I miss Rusty. The only PM disagreement/argument that I recall was with Rusty over the bulldog shape.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Mercy! I just bought another pipe!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:43 am

This thread is too cool to let die after a year of idle repose!

I still enjoy my Petersons

The venerable old Shamrock has been semi retired as it's threatening to burn out, so saved for camping, fishing,and other potential suicide missions
The 301 is held in reserve
The brace of plucky little 303s serve in rotation
The elegant straight Bulldog for special occasions.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."