The Falcon Pipe, A Threaded Aluminum Bowl/ Stem Pipe

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: The Falcon Pipe, A Threaded Aluminum Bowl/ Stem Pipe

Post by nosferatu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Onyx wrote:
Cleon wrote:I'm going to give a dissenting opinion. I don't like Falcons. I think they're ugly. They look like a bud pipe and have too many parts. I've only smoked a Grabow Viking...once...not a Falcon. It gurgled a lot. And did I mention it was ugly? :lol:

There. I said it. :twisted:
To me, it looks like the 1970s. Like modern, for the 1970s. Like what a NASA engineer or a Led Zeppelin management executive would smoke. In the 1970s.
See to me they are reminiscent of the Art Deco era, which actually makes sense considering they are originally a product of the 1930s.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:36 pm

Goose55 wrote:
nosferatu wrote: You might also consider trying an H.Wiebe Radiator Pipe as well.

I just now looked at the H.Wiebe Radiator Pipe and will investigate further. Thank you

First impression: WoW. What a huge, tall Briar bowl

I very much like your quote on what grace is, BTW

Here is a link to a H.Wiebe Radiator Pipe I looked at:

http://www.hwiebepipes.com/store/p5/Stubby_Bent.html
I think he's a canuck in Winnipeg MB. Now Rev Thom will go looking for him. "Hey Hecthor can you make an Author?"

Is that a CPS POY that he's smokin'?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Cleon wrote:I'm going to give a dissenting opinion. I don't like Falcons. I think they're ugly. They look like a bud pipe and have too many parts. I've only smoked a Grabow Viking...once...not a Falcon. It gurgled a lot. And did I mention it was ugly? :lol:

There. I said it. :twisted:
It's ok. You're just expressing your taste in pipes. That's not hatin'. I agree with you.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:14 pm

One of my favorite pipes is a Grabow Viking.

It smokes like a champ.

I've smoked nearly 4 oz of EMP that J-B sent these last few days.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:31 pm

Jocose wrote:One of my favorite pipes is a Grabow Viking.

It smokes like a champ.

EMP? Did somebody tell you that stands for Electromagnetic Pulse? It's a morning mixture for Latakiaholics.

Alright, who are you and what did you do with our Nic loving Jocose?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:02 pm

Rusty wrote:
Jocose wrote:One of my favorite pipes is a Grabow Viking.

It smokes like a champ.

EMP? Did somebody tell you that stands for Electromagnetic Pulse? It's a morning mixture for Latakiaholics.

Alright, who are you and what did you do with our Nic loving Jocose?
I do branch out a bit from the old standbys (sic)

I don't detect any Lat in this EMP, but then again I have been sick lately.

I smoked the baggie that JB sent, I didn't want to let it go to waste or jar it up and risk not smoking it for many moons. It smoked fine, very easy going, I can see why so many like this blend.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:56 am

I have 14 Falcons and a half dozen extra bowls. The pipes include 2 bents, 2 quarter-bents, and straight stems with standard, multi-purpose and dental stems. My Falcon dress pipe is all black with a smooth black meerschaum-lined bowl, and I have one all-brown version with the rare leather covered bowl, both of which I purchased from a dealer in England. I like them all and as I'm on the road for the next 4 days am smoking Falcons exclusively until I get home. They make great travel pipes. I'd recommend you read the book "Back from the Ashes"', the history of the pipe's inventor and the company.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:17 am

Onyx wrote:
To me, it looks like the 1970s. Like modern, for the 1970s. Like what a NASA engineer or a Led Zeppelin management executive would smoke. In the 1970s.
In '81-82, my brief time as an engineering major at the U of Illinois, the engineering dept was infested with Falcon smoking grad students. Seemed like all of them smoked Falcons, and a lot of them Three Star Blue

Ah, memories. Of a fun but academically disastrous time
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:17 am

JimVH wrote:
CW Spook wrote:I'd recommend you read the book "Back from the Ashes"', the history of the pipe's inventor and the company.
+me

It's a good read.

My first attraction to the Falcon/Viking was because it was the pipe I most associated with my grandpa. He smoked a Viking (he would NEVER have spent that much on a Falcon) almost exclusively.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:55 pm

CW Spook wrote:I have 14 Falcons and a half dozen extra bowls. The pipes include 2 bents, 2 quarter-bents, and straight stems with standard, multi-purpose and dental stems. My Falcon dress pipe is all black with a smooth black meerschaum-lined bowl, and I have one all-brown version with the rare leather covered bowl, both of which I purchased from a dealer in England. I like them all and as I'm on the road for the next 4 days am smoking Falcons exclusively until I get home. They make great travel pipes. I'd recommend you read the book "Back from the Ashes"', the history of the pipe's inventor and the company.
CW, who is the author of Back from the Ashes?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Goose55 wrote:
CW Spook wrote:I have 14 Falcons and a half dozen extra bowls. The pipes include 2 bents, 2 quarter-bents, and straight stems with standard, multi-purpose and dental stems. My Falcon dress pipe is all black with a smooth black meerschaum-lined bowl, and I have one all-brown version with the rare leather covered bowl, both of which I purchased from a dealer in England. I like them all and as I'm on the road for the next 4 days am smoking Falcons exclusively until I get home. They make great travel pipes. I'd recommend you read the book "Back from the Ashes"', the history of the pipe's inventor and the company.
CW, who is the author of Back from the Ashes?
KA Worth

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:14 pm

I wanted to get a pipe to commemorate my getting a new job with the lab here in NM since most of the pictures of the scientists in the past included at least one smoking a pipe. I thought a metal pipe would be a cool symbol since there is a lot of machining, testing, and just all kinds of awesomeness going on here. I narrowed it down to either a Falcon or an estate Kirsten. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Falcon when I got an email from a estate pipe seller saying he had an unused Kirsten for sale. I bought that but plan on getting a Falcon in the near future.

By the way, through all this process I found out that Kirsten is making pipes again.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Has anyone had one of these Falcon bent stem pipes with what they call a "dental" bit? I have already discovered those wonderful little soft (rubber) bits that slide over the end of the stem, and have plenty on hand. Just wondering how any folk like these "dental" stems?

This link will take you to a where it can be looked at in 4 different views, seeing this "dental" bit stem ...

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/falcon-brow ... pipe-stem/

Also, I was wondering, from those who know this "bent" stem Falcon pipe, how easy it is to clean.

Seems like a very good price on this pipe (w/o bowl) for $28 U.S.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:Has anyone had one of these Falcon bent stem pipes with what they call a "dental" bit? I have already discovered those wonderful little soft (rubber) bits that slide over the end of the stem, and have plenty on hand. Just wondering how any folk like these "dental" stems?

This link will take you to a where it can be looked at in 4 different views, seeing this "dental" bit stem ...

Also, I was wondering, from those who know this "bent" stem Falcon pipe, how easy it is to clean.

Do you have dentures?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Goose55 wrote:Has anyone had one of these Falcon bent stem pipes with what they call a "dental" bit? I have already discovered those wonderful little soft (rubber) bits that slide over the end of the stem, and have plenty on hand. Just wondering how any folk like these "dental" stems?

I have a couple of the dental bit stems. They are pretty good if you are a clencher (I am), but otherwise the standard bit is fine. All Falcons are very easy to clean...just unscrew the bowl, wipe out the humidome, wipe off the bottom of the bowl, and run a pipe cleaner through it, pulling it out from the bowl end.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks, CW, for that advise on cleaning the FALCON. I had read today, on some forum, the stem should never be removed. So, your direction on running a pipe cleaner through it stem to bowl seems right. Had also read that washing the entire aluminum "chassis" of the Falcon, in lukewarm water is good.
________________________________________________________________________________________

No, Hugo, no dentures yet. Falcon's, I see, actually come with 3 different stem bit ends. I am just amazed at the thoughtfulness that goes into the latest designs.

This one here, is the one I would get for myself. A close look reveals some designed indentations at the bit end, for a more comfortable hold. Especially with those soft rubber slide on things...

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 am

You need a Falcon Shillelagh:

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:28 am

UncleBob wrote:You need a Falcon Shillelagh:

I had the new green one in my cart the other day and was THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Pepik wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:Nope not my wife, his, my great Aunt.
Misread - mea culpa.
She still doesn't sound so great to me.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:45 pm

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:You need a Falcon Shillelagh:

I had the new green one in my cart the other day and was THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger.
Well, you need it too.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain