The Falcon Pipe, A Threaded Aluminum Bowl/ Stem Pipe

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Re: The Falcon Pipe, A Threaded Aluminum Bowl/ Stem Pipe

Post by CW Spook » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:52 pm

Goose55 wrote:Thanks, CW, for that advise on cleaning the FALCON. I had read today, on some forum, the stem should never be removed. So, your direction on running a pipe cleaner through it stem to bowl seems right. Had also read that washing the entire aluminum "chassis" of the Falcon, in lukewarm water is good.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Lukewarm water is fine. Don't put the stems in the dishwasher. The hot water takes the 'shiny' off the aluminum. Don't ask me how I know this.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:07 pm

CW Spook wrote:I have 14 Falcons and a half dozen extra bowls. The pipes include 2 bents, 2 quarter-bents, and straight stems with standard, multi-purpose and dental stems. My Falcon dress pipe is all black with a smooth black meerschaum-lined bowl, and I have one all-brown version with the rare leather covered bowl, both of which I purchased from a dealer in England. I like them all and as I'm on the road for the next 4 days am smoking Falcons exclusively until I get home. They make great travel pipes. I'd recommend you read the book "Back from the Ashes"', the history of the pipe's inventor and the company.
My library search for Back From The Ashes, as well as an internet search was not too fruitful. Not available through Pima Co Library and Amazon shows it is out of print.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:35 am

Goose55 wrote:
CW Spook wrote:I have 14 Falcons and a half dozen extra bowls. The pipes include 2 bents, 2 quarter-bents, and straight stems with standard, multi-purpose and dental stems. My Falcon dress pipe is all black with a smooth black meerschaum-lined bowl, and I have one all-brown version with the rare leather covered bowl, both of which I purchased from a dealer in England. I like them all and as I'm on the road for the next 4 days am smoking Falcons exclusively until I get home. They make great travel pipes. I'd recommend you read the book "Back from the Ashes"', the history of the pipe's inventor and the company.
My library search for Back From The Ashes, as well as an internet search was not too fruitful. Not available through Pima Co Library and Amazon shows it is out of print.
Here's where I got mine...
http://www.amazon.com/Back-Ashes-Uncove ... +the+Ashes
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:14 pm

My new, first Falcon pipe came in yesterday's mail, with a beautiful rusticated dark Briar bowl. This is a straight pipe. I also have a new bent Falcon coming in today's mail, with 2 bowls.

I've smoked the straight one several times already, being careful to puff very slowly, with just a 1/2 bowl, to build up cake at the bottom. The pipe smokes heavenly. Cool, and dry, and no tongue bite at all. And such a breeze to keep clean.

Happy hour on my front patio, watching the brick lights come on, will never be the same!

I owe many thanks to our poster, Hugodrax. Who knows how long I would have been deprived of the Falcon had not he told me about it here in CPS.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Glad you like it, but I was only preaching the Gospel as laid down by our own JimVH. I thought they were the ugliest things, but Jim, through his quiet decency, just put the idea in my head to try one. Wish I had earlier.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Does anyone happen to know which is the deepest Falcon bowl with the widest inside diameter?

I ask because I have a Billiard and it is attractive, but wished it held more tobacco.

I have been looking and some of the measurements given vary--for the same bowl.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Don't purchase the Falcon bent pipe. One can;t hold it in the mouth evenly with the bowl tipping up, and the goo in the "humidone" draining into the stem.

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:24 pm

Get a green Shillelagh stem and then get a meerschaum bowl from 4noggins. Trust me on that one ;)

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:22 pm

nosferatu wrote:Get a green Shillelagh stem and then get a meerschaum bowl from 4noggins. Trust me on that one ;)
The first one I got was the green Shillelagh stem and I love it. Curious as to why green, though. There are many colors available in the Shillelagh

Also, I have a meerschaum lined Falcon bowl, but not full meerschaum.

How does a full meerschaum affect the pipe smoking?

huddsbaggie
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by huddsbaggie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:35 am

The Falcon International bent is a thing of beauty and function. Like a sten gun with brio. It looks trad cos it doesn't have the (any) exposed cooling tube. It is hollow stem (detachable) for the use (or not) of a filter.

No charge.
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:22 am

Del wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:Nope not my wife, his, my great Aunt.
Misread - mea culpa.
She still doesn't sound so great to me.

I see what you did there...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:33 am

huddsbaggie wrote:The Falcon International bent is a thing of beauty and function. Like a sten gun with brio. It looks trad cos it doesn't have the (any) exposed cooling tube. It is hollow stem (detachable) for the use (or not) of a filter.

No charge.
Whoa! Hudds? what the heck brings you around?
Sola Deo Gloria

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:50 pm

It's Spring (nearly)
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:33 pm

I had been wondering why the clean, fresh smoke pleasure from my new Falcon had deteriorated. Until I realized I had not been cleaning the exterior bottom of the bowl--the part that is a "roof" to the humidome. I am using a sanitizing alcohol hand gel to clean that, the humidome, and the stem.

Now the smoking is pleasant again.
______________________________________________________________________________________

This year It's been Spring here in southern Arizona for too long. Weeks of temps 10-15 degrees above normal. So warm I did not go to the first baseball Spring Training game in Scottsdale. But next week a Pacific storm system will come over the area and cool things down.

I sure hope this unusually high temps in February are not a precursor of what summer is going to be like.

I may not have a chance to post much for the next week - week and a half. My brother is visiting and after that I am having a screened Arizona Room added to the back of my home.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Goose55 wrote:I had been wondering why the clean, fresh smoke pleasure from my new Falcon had deteriorated. Until I realized I had not been cleaning the exterior bottom of the bowl--the part that is a "roof" to the humidome. I am using a sanitizing alcohol hand gel to clean that, the humidome, and the stem.

Now the smoking is pleasant again.
______________________________________________________________________________________

This year It's been Spring here in southern Arizona for too long. Weeks of temps 10-15 degrees above normal. So warm I did not go to the first baseball Spring Training game in Scottsdale. But next week a Pacific storm system will come over the area and cool things down.

I sure hope this unusually high temps in February are not a precursor of what summer is going to be like.

I may not have a chance to post much for the next week - week and a half. My brother is visiting and after that I am having a screened Arizona Room added to the back of my home.
Carry pipe cleaners and pocket tissues. Wipe out the entire humidor and plug. Run pipe cleaner. Smoke. Go back to counting angels on the hEads of pins.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:28 pm

I got my Falcon today. Smoking H&H Anniversary Kake in it now :o
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:11 pm

CW Spook wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Thanks. I checked the link, Spook, but it appears there is only a Kindle version of the book. Not a hard copy. Unless I missed something

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Goose55 wrote:
CW Spook wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Thanks. I checked the link, Spook, but it appears there is only a Kindle version of the book. Not a hard copy. Unless I missed something
No, you are correct, but you don't have to have a Kindle to read it. You can download the Kindle Cloud Reader and read it on your PC, iPad or phone.

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: RE: Re: The Falcon Pipe, A Threaded Aluminum Bowl/ Stem Pipe

Post by nosferatu » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:58 pm

Goose55 wrote:
nosferatu wrote:Get a green Shillelagh stem and then get a meerschaum bowl from 4noggins. Trust me on that one ;)
The first one I got was the green Shillelagh stem and I love it. Curious as to why green, though. There are many colors available in the Shillelagh

Well admittedly I am biased on this one:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: RE: Re: The Falcon Pipe, A Threaded Aluminum Bowl/ Stem Pipe

Post by Goose55 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:33 pm

nosferatu wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Well admittedly I am biased on this one:

That is a nice big meerschaum bowl for the Falcon. About how wide and deep is it? Do you remember the name of of the bowl