Pipe and other hardware related discussions
CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Re: RE: Re: The Falcon Pipe, A Threaded Aluminum Bowl/ Stem Pipe

Post by CW Spook » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:30 am

nosferatu wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
nosferatu wrote:Get a green Shillelagh stem and then get a meerschaum bowl from 4noggins. Trust me on that one ;)
The first one I got was the green Shillelagh stem and I love it. Curious as to why green, though. There are many colors available in the Shillelagh

Also, I have a meerschaum lined Falcon bowl, but not full meerschaum.

How does a full meerschaum affect the pipe smoking?
Well admittedly I am biased on this one:

That meerschaum has really colored up nicely; a lovely pipe indeed. I'm smoking some OGS in one of my Falcon bents as I type.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: The Falcon Pipe, A Threaded Aluminum Bowl/ Stem Pipe

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Anyone experience any problems with mounting new meershuam bowls on Falcon pipes?

I ask because I just received a new meershuam bowl and no matter how patently and gently I try to get it to mount on the humodome, it just will not seat/ seal.

If you have experienced this, is there a fix?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:28 pm

1) They're all the same. I think that their Hyperbole model is particularly hideous, but that's just my opinion.

2) No.

3) Back in my day, I was able to buy specially made Falcon chamber absorbent rings. I haven't seen them for sale in years. This doesn't matter all that much in that I never noticed as they made a damn bit of difference.

I think that I've had my Falcon longer than any other pipe I own. I smoke it once or twice per week. I am now on my third interchangeable bowl in these many decades.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Goose55 wrote:Anyone experience any problems with mounting new meershuam bowls on Falcon pipes?

I ask because I just received a new meershuam bowl and no matter how patently and gently I try to get it to mount on the humodome, it just will not seat/ seal.

Is it a Falcon Bowl? There are a few others out there. If it won't work, call the place you purchased it from and return it.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:49 pm

A_Morley wrote:3) Back in my day, I was able to buy specially made Falcon chamber absorbent rings. I haven't seen them for sale in years. This doesn't matter all that much in that I never noticed as they made a damn bit of difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FALCON-DRY-RING ... 1879734890

http://www.4noggins.com/falcon-pipe-cle ... rings.aspx

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/falcon-dry- ... e-filters/

I've been making my own with thin pipe cleaners and some needle-nose plyers.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:50 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Goose55 wrote:Anyone experience any problems with mounting new meershuam bowls on Falcon pipes?

I ask because I just received a new meerschaum bowl and no matter how patently and gently I try to get it to mount on the humodome, it just will not seat/ seal.

Is it a Falcon Bowl? There are a few others out there.
Yes, I am assuming it is a Falcon bowl. I have 5 briar bowls for the falcon (including one meerschaum lined one) I have bought at 2 or 3 different places. None of the bowls have marked on them "Falcon." But, they all fit perfectly.Now you have me wondering. Do Falcon bowls have their name on them?

This is the bowl I am having trouble seating/ sealing. ...

http://www.4noggins.com/Falcon-Meerscha ... o-144.aspx

I purchased it from 4Noggins, but right afterwards, the site said "out of stock," so I may have gotten the last one. I liked it because it has the largest bowl of any Meerschaum on the 4Noggins site. Richard says to pick out another, but they are all smaller.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:00 pm

Sure have been liking the ease of cleaning the Falcon pipe and bowls.

I love that the bowls are so easy to clean. With the large hole at the bottom, there is no airway to get gunked up and cleaned out. The bowls also dry out and with not as much need to "rest" as a traditional briar pipe

The all metal chassis/ stem is a breeze to wash up and dry with a pipe cleaner.

Everything stays sweet and clean.

I wonder if there will ever be a need to do the 100% grain alcohol and salt soak on these bowls

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Pepik wrote:I've been making my own [Falcon dry ring filters] with thin pipe cleaners and some needle-nose plyers.
I am doing the same. Can make 4 out of a regular length thin Dill's pipe cleaner

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:31 am

Goose55 wrote:Sure have been liking the ease of cleaning the Falcon pipe and bowls.

I love that the bowls are so easy to clean. With the large hole at the bottom, there is no airway to get gunked up and cleaned out. The bowls also dry out and with not as much need to "rest" as a traditional briar pipe

I wonder if there will ever be a need to do the 100% grain alcohol and salt soak on these bowls
I've never had to with any pipe, but the Falcons definitely stay sweet and clean. I love them, and truth be known, prefer their smoking qualities and flavor.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:58 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:Sure have been liking the ease of cleaning the Falcon pipe and bowls.

I've never had to with any pipe, but the Falcons definitely stay sweet and clean. I love them, and truth be known, prefer their smoking qualities and flavor.
A traditional pipe, with it's bowl, airway, and shank, has a lot to dry out between smokes. I guess that is why most recommend resting the traditional pipe for at least a day before smoking again. But that it is not necessary with the falcon bowls, which have neither airway nor shank. In a well ventilated area, I think they dry out within a matter of hours

The Falcon pipe & bowls are a great thing.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed May 18, 2016 11:11 am

French mathematician André Lichnerowicz seemed to have been quite the Falcon enthusiast. Nearly every picture of him has him smoking a pipe, and that pipe is nearly always a Falcon.Image
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:54 am

A_Morley wrote:French mathematician André Lichnerowicz seemed to have been quite the Falcon enthusiast. Nearly every picture of him has him smoking a pipe, and that pipe is nearly always a Falcon.Image
I purchased a Falcon and some bowls early on in this still very new re-adventure in pipe smoking. But lately ,as I've been coming to enjoy flake tobaccos like Orlik Golden Slice and Dunhill Flake, I have not smoked the Falcon much at all,... preferring instead the hand made roughly rusticated old Stanwell on found on Ebay. I did try smoking flake in one of the small Falcon bowls, but it was not nearly as pleasurable.

I gently rub out the flake and lengthwise twist the long strands clockwise into the Stanwell and this seems to work very well in that pipe and to me, provide a nice slow, sweet even burn. The Falcon bowls I think are too small for this. The Falcon bowls I think are well suited for the Frog Morton blends of which I have two 3.5 ounce tins "cellared." I have too many OTC tobaccos opened right now to open the Frog.

RAStewart
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RAStewart » Wed May 18, 2016 12:47 pm

bean_counter wrote:In '81-82, my brief time as an engineering major at the U of Illinois, the engineering dept was infested with Falcon smoking grad students. Seemed like all of them smoked Falcons, and a lot of them Three Star Blue

Ah, memories. Of a fun but academically disastrous time
Three Star Blue? Iwan Ries 3 Star Blue? Memories, indeed!

(To clarify, I didn't go to U of I, and for me to have attempted an engineering major would have been true academic disaster and no fun at all. But I do remember those IRC blends!)

~Rich
I'm always amazed when people say, "I'm a Christian." I think, "Already?" —Maya Angelou

RAStewart
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RAStewart » Wed May 18, 2016 12:51 pm

I have one estate Falcon that I got, I guess it's last year some time. I like it, but I think it is missing an O-ring (not the pipe-cleanerish sump ring, but a little gasket for the junction of bowl and body), because it leaks air a little.

I have some of the Falcon absorbent rings, but find they do evil things to the draw, so I don't use them.

It's odd-looking, but in a way I like. Great pipe for knocking around in the yard and such. Would make a fine fishing pipe, I think, if I ever get back to fishing again.

~Rich
I'm always amazed when people say, "I'm a Christian." I think, "Already?" —Maya Angelou

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:
A_Morley wrote:French mathematician André Lichnerowicz seemed to have been quite the Falcon enthusiast. Nearly every picture of him has him smoking a pipe, and that pipe is nearly always a Falcon.Image
I purchased a Falcon and some bowls early on in this still very new re-adventure in pipe smoking. But lately ,as I've been coming to enjoy flake tobaccos like Orlik Golden Slice and Dunhill Flake, I have not smoked the Falcon much at all,... preferring instead the hand made roughly rusticated old Stanwell on found on Ebay. I did try smoking flake in one of the small Falcon bowls, but it was not nearly as pleasurable.

I gently rub out the flake and lengthwise twist the long strands clockwise into the Stanwell and this seems to work very well in that pipe and to me, provide a nice slow, sweet even burn. The Falcon bowls I think are too small for this. The Falcon bowls I think are well suited for the Frog Morton blends of which I have two 3.5 ounce tins "cellared." I have too many OTC tobaccos opened right now to open the Frog.
Now that is finding your own tastes. Most people would prefer the smaller bowl of the Falcon for flakes. Why, I'd wager they eat a lot of flake in England. But they don't work for your style.

This is true of all pipes smoking. You have to figure a lot out for yourself
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed May 18, 2016 2:11 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Now that is finding your own tastes. Most people would prefer the smaller bowl of the Falcon for flakes. Why, I'd wager they eat a lot of flake in England. But they don't work for your style.

True dat. By my experience, Falcons are ideal flake pipes.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Hallelujah! A new revelation!

Found that the Philtpads work really great up-side-down in the Falcon bowls. Keeps the bowl to humidome area free of bits of baccy, and also keeps the humidome from getting hot at the end of the smoke.

They cost about $2 for a pack of 10, but can be used, dried, and re-used over and over and over.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 pm

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:26 pm

JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

True dat. By my experience, Falcons are ideal flake pipes.
Yep. Smoking MB Navy Flake in one of my Falcons when I saw this.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:51 pm

Did I ever tell you about the falcon pipe I lost in the desert during a dune buggy expedition? There isn't much to tell, but I still miss that pipe.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS