Your pipe cleaning regimen

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by A_Morley » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Tell me all about your pipe cleaning practices and preferences. Go nuts, people.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:35 pm

I use ever clear and pipe cleaners and q-tips as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:53 pm

I gave up cleaning them some time ago. I run a pipe cleaner through them now and then after smoking and wipe them off before putting them up.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:24 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:53 pm
I gave up cleaning them some time ago. I run a pipe cleaner through them now and then after smoking and wipe them off before putting them up.
This...until they get clogged...then strip and clean to the wood and smoke some more.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:49 am

After I finish smoking a pipe, I let it cool. Then, I will run a bristled cleaner around the bowl, making sure the cake is even; second, I'll run a cleaner from the stem to the bowl, removed stem, bend pipe cleaner, and run that through the shank, to prevent gunk and what not; lastly, I take a microfiber cloth and wipe the pipe off -- a mini polish, I guess. That's it really. I rarely do more.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:27 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:24 pm
JimVH wrote:
This...until they get clogged...then strip and clean to the wood and smoke some more.
That's about all I do, assuming I have pipe cleaners about my person at the time.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:37 am

hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:
That's about all I do, assuming I have pipe cleaners about my person at the time.
I keep pipe cleaners in my den at home, in my truck, in my desk at work, and in the padfolio I take to meetings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:53 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:37 am
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:
I keep pipe cleaners in my den at home, in my truck, in my desk at work, and in the padfolio I take to meetings.
I usually grab pipe cleaners when I grab my pipe, but I forget some times. So, I bought a pack at Milans's, wrote my name in Sharpie on the pack and they keep them in a drawer behind the counter; so I always have pipe cleaners when I need them if I am smoking there.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:17 am

Good ideas. I tend to keep them at home and clean afterwards

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm

JimVH wrote:
Yep. Except for the wipe them off part. I'm a bit of a heathen like that.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:32 am

JimVH wrote:
Similar. I run a pipe cleaner after the bowl is smoked and before putting back in the rack. Once clogged, I break out the big guns of an airline single of JD and dip pipe cleaners in and slosh in the liquid goodness liberally. If needed, and rarely, ream. Never back to the wood, however.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:32 am
JimVH wrote:
Similar. I run a pipe cleaner after the bowl is smoked and before putting back in the rack. Once clogged, I break out the big guns of an airline single of JD and dip pipe cleaners in and slosh in the liquid goodness liberally. If needed, and rarely, ream. Never back to the wood, however.
I've found that it's usually, at least for me, the cake that goes sour. Ream an 1/8th of an inch or so back and it's back to sweetness. I agree with you on the "never back to bare wood."

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am

What is this 'regimen' thing you speak of?

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:37 am

If I can't get a good draw with it empty, I pull the stem and stick the pointy part of my Czech tool into its spot and give it a twirl. Then I run a pipe cleaner in a few times. Then I bend a pipe cleaner in half and swirl it around the Peterson reservoir. After that I tip the bowl over and dump out whatever I've knocked loose. I finish off with a few pipe cleaners through the stem.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:19 pm

For my part, after I've removed the ash and dottle with the pick of my Czech pipe tool, I run a pipe cleaner from stem to bowl without removing the stem and then turn the pipe cleaner around and do the same with the other end. That's about all I do. I have a few pipes where the pipe cleaner will not pass all the way through to the bowl. This annoys me as I will usually have to disassemble the stem from the bowl in order to get the cleaner all the way through.

I'm not too particular about the kind of pipe cleaners I use. Sometimes they're soft, sometimes bristled. I've been using bristles cleaners more often if only because the head shop, if you will, up the street from me where I buy pipe cleaners only carries the bristled kind.

Now with my Falcons and Peterson Systems, I disassemble those without the slightest compunction and wipe out the reservoirs with a paper towel and run a pipe cleaner through the air passages. Where the Falcons are concerned, I even clean the threads of the screw in bowl and stem portion with a doubled over pipe cleaner and scrape out the air passage at the bottom of the screw in bowl the the shovel of the Czech tool.

Before I put any pipe back in the rack, I will usually give the outside a once over with a microfiber cloth.

I almost never clean the rim of the bowl and there is all manner or tar and cake accumulation to be seen on the rims of all of my pipes. I might use a reamer on a pipe once every two years are so. I probably had a thicker cake in all of my pipes that would be thought seemly.

Only two or three times have I seen fit to subject a pipe to the much debated salt and alcohol treatment, though I've always gotten good results from it. I've a Peterson Canadian that had gotten into all sorts of a funk and I simply couldn't get a good smoke out of anymore. I filled the bowl with sea salt and saturated the salt with Bulleit bourbon and let it sit for forty eight hours or so. After wiping out the bowl and scrubbing the stem with bristle cleaners, I can say that that pipe now smokes as good as any I've had.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Every few years I'll take a few down to the buffer and shine them up.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm

By happenstance I noticed several of pipes in the rack in need of a little TLC.

My usual spit scrub on the rim. Ask anyone, I am hard on rim char.

Ream with an old bullet device.

JD soaked pipe cleaner on all interior surfaces.

The new item is hand rubbing the finished pipe with olive oil.

I like it.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:37 am
If I can't get a good draw with it empty, I pull the stem and stick the pointy part of my Czech tool into its spot and give it a twirl. Then I run a pipe cleaner in a few times. Then I bend a pipe cleaner in half and swirl it around the Peterson reservoir. After that I tip the bowl over and dump out whatever I've knocked loose. I finish off with a few pipe cleaners through the stem.
Pretty much what I do, too. Except I usually wait till the end of the month and do all my most-smoked pipes in a cleaning frenzy near the bathroom sink. I also got one of those Decatur reamer kits and if the cake is getting out of hand, give it a bit of a ream. Blow out the crud into the toilet. Done!
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:31 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm
By happenstance I noticed several of pipes in the rack in need of a little TLC.

My usual spit scrub on the rim. Ask anyone, I am hard on rim char.

Ream with an old bullet device.

JD soaked pipe cleaner on all interior surfaces.

The new item is hand rubbing the finished pipe with olive oil.

I like it.
Oh, yes. Forgot that part. I do occasionally give my stems an oxyclean bath. I then rub a little olive oil on the stem and bowl. Really helps retard oxidation.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:42 am

SlowToke wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm
JimVH wrote:
Yep. Except for the wipe them off part. I'm a bit of a heathen like that.
Same. A pipe cleaner through the stem and sweep the bowl after every smoke, and then put it away. With the exception of trying to sell something, I never wipe down the outside of my pipes.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton