Your pipe cleaning regimen

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28338
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:33 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:42 am
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:53 pm
I gave up cleaning them some time ago. I run a pipe cleaner through them now and then after smoking and wipe them off before putting them up.
Yep. Except for the wipe them off part. I'm a bit of a heathen like that.
Same. A pipe cleaner through the stem and sweep the bowl after every smoke, and then put it away. With the exception of trying to sell something, I never wipe down the outside of my pipes.
Do you use Jim's Patented broken sprinkler head immersion method for the outside?
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10576
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by A_Morley » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am

Any suggestions for cleaning tar and carbon from off the rim of the bowl? It's only rarely that I'll bother to do so, though I suppose I could afford to do so more. Rarely have I seen such accumulation.

What I'll usually do is scrape the tar and the like off the rim with a dull knife and then wipe off the excess staining with my own saliva on a cloth or a paper towel. I think that I've done this only two or three times with any of my pipes.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by Cleon » Wed May 24, 2017 11:42 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am
Any suggestions for cleaning tar and carbon from off the rim of the bowl? It's only rarely that I'll bother to do so, though I suppose I could afford to do so more. Rarely have I seen such accumulation.

What I'll usually do is scrape the tar and the like off the rim with a dull knife and then wipe off the excess staining with my own saliva on a cloth or a paper towel. I think that I've done this only two or three times with any of my pipes.
That's what I've done.

Spit and use panty hose as a scouring pad. Rub hard.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10576
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by A_Morley » Wed May 24, 2017 11:49 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:42 am
Spit and use panty hose as a scouring pad. Rub hard.
I could make that my new signature line, but I won't.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8380
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 24, 2017 11:56 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:49 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:42 am
Spit and use panty hose as a scouring pad. Rub hard.
I could make that my new signature line, but I won't.
That is funny

As far as the rim...
I have some cheap/course paper towels in the shop, so a quick dunk of the folded towel in the bourbon and that cleans the tar and gunk off the rim...I grab another towel and wipe down the interior of the bowl...let dry and smoke till the next time it needs some care.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8643
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by SlowToke » Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Saliva, paper towel, and elbow grease is what I use to remove rim tar when I bother to do so.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by John-Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:57 am

3-dot asked if I had any pipe cleaners she could have. Apparently some crafting is going on. As I was digging them out I decided I thought I'd run a few through the 3 pipes I've been rotating on my dog walk pipe smoking. The Canadian was particularly goopy (no offense Canadians).
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8459
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I usually run a pipe cleaner through the stummel and stem before I smoke a pipe. Once a month or so, I will add EverClear grain alcohol to that and also goop out the shank with a twisted paper towel dipped in EverClear. I'll then let the stummels sit out in the warm Arizona sun for a few hours to sweeten them up.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by John-Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 pm
I usually run a pipe cleaner through the stummel and stem before I smoke a pipe. Once a month or so, I will add EverClear grain alcohol to that and also goop out the shank with a twisted paper towel dipped in EverClear. I'll then let the stummels sit out in the warm Arizona sun for a few hours to sweeten them up.
Do you also run a pope cleaner through the stummel after you smoke a pipe? Or only before? If I use a pipe cleaner it's usually during, and sometimes after. And the occasional, I better use these on my pipes before someone turns them into snowflake crafts.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8459
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:26 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 pm
I usually run a pipe cleaner through the stummel and stem before I smoke a pipe. Once a month or so, I will add EverClear grain alcohol to that and also goop out the shank with a twisted paper towel dipped in EverClear. I'll then let the stummels sit out in the warm Arizona sun for a few hours to sweeten them up.
Do you also run a pope cleaner through the stummel after you smoke a pipe? Or only before? If I use a pipe cleaner it's usually during, and sometimes after. And the occasional, I better use these on my pipes before someone turns them into snowflake crafts.
I've gotten to be quite lazy about cleaning a pipe after smoking. Usually when I set it down it has some smoldering ember in it so I don't want to deal with that then. It would be better that I did clean after smoking rather than let any moisture and by-products seep into the briar.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 18172
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:26 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 pm
I usually run a pipe cleaner through the stummel and stem before I smoke a pipe. Once a month or so, I will add EverClear grain alcohol to that and also goop out the shank with a twisted paper towel dipped in EverClear. I'll then let the stummels sit out in the warm Arizona sun for a few hours to sweeten them up.
Do you also run a pope cleaner through the stummel after you smoke a pipe? Or only before? If I use a pipe cleaner it's usually during, and sometimes after. And the occasional, I better use these on my pipes before someone turns them into snowflake crafts.
I've gotten to be quite lazy about cleaning a pipe after smoking. Usually when I set it down it has some smoldering ember in it so I don't want to deal with that then. It would be better that I did clean after smoking rather than let any moisture and by-products seep into the briar.
Virtual fist-bump, Brother. I let my pipes dry outside for an hour or two on a sunny day, you have embraced the goop. Solidarity.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8459
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:34 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:26 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 pm
I usually run a pipe cleaner through the stummel and stem before I smoke a pipe. Once a month or so, I will add EverClear grain alcohol to that and also goop out the shank with a twisted paper towel dipped in EverClear. I'll then let the stummels sit out in the warm Arizona sun for a few hours to sweeten them up.
Do you also run a pope cleaner through the stummel after you smoke a pipe? Or only before? If I use a pipe cleaner it's usually during, and sometimes after. And the occasional, I better use these on my pipes before someone turns them into snowflake crafts.
I've gotten to be quite lazy about cleaning a pipe after smoking. Usually when I set it down it has some smoldering ember in it so I don't want to deal with that then. It would be better that I did clean after smoking rather than let any moisture and by-products seep into the briar.
Virtual fist-bump, Brother. I let my pipes dry outside for an hour or two on a sunny day, you have embraced the goop. Solidarity.
And I no longer soak my stems in Dawn.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
ryland
More of this
More of this
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Your pipe cleaning regimen

Post by ryland » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Once I'm done smoking I clean the ash out. I then take a pipe cleaner and clean through the stem. After that, I bend the pipe cleaner in half and wipe out the inside of the bowl.

About once a year I disassemble all my pipes and clean with liquor.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Post Reply