Your Favorite Pipe, & Why

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Your Favorite Pipe, & Why

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 am

Ah. You know, I thought maybe I'd seen that pipe before. Several times. In every thread he could post it in, every chance he gets. Now he's starting threads to post about his Preben Holm Ben Wade Bent Brandy.

It's a lot like today's temperature in Goose Gulch. You're going to hear about it whether you want to or not. J.M. Barrie would not have introduced him to the Arcadia Mixture.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:29 pm
Hmmm... favourite pipe. I have a bunch.

These two. Blatter & Calich. I'm smoking the Blatter now. The bigger writeup is at the following.
Both are straight grains.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30401&p=763732#p763732
Beautiful pipes and bound to be good smokers with that tight, straight vertical grain. I can see why they are favorites.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am

Because, Rusty, as you very well know, birds eye or guinea grain pipes just don't smoke as well.

We should start a thread to highlight questionable Goosinian theories.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am
Because, Rusty, as you very well know, birds eye or guinea grain pipes just don't smoke as well.
Well, I wouldn't say that. I have a lot of very nice cross-grains. I wouldn't suggest avoiding them.
Among mine is a very pretty Calich Liverpool with very dense birds eye on both sides...

The Calich Dublin was from 1979 and from my wife and it was my first Calich. I think it was a reward for being a good Calculus TA. She likes to say that. All the best things in life I owe to mathematics, even mathematics. 8)
I was only mildly disappointed that the other students didn't buy me pipes too. :lol:

The Blatter Dublin is from old vintage Algerian briar, which I've since learned is quite different than modern Algerian briar. The Blatters manage to find very old lots of briar periodically. So that's not standard production.

Here's another view of that pipe among some of his other straight grain brothers from Blatter...

Last edited by Rusty on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am
A plethora of beautiful bubble birds eye. Nice.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am
Rusty wrote:
Bubble? That's the outside of the briar burl which is usually present with plateau block. It's up to the pipe maker as to whether he preserves it as part of the shape. If he turns the block over 90 degrees then it's a cross grain and it's quite rare for the pipe maker to retain the rough outer surface of the burl in that case. Some lines of pipe brands had a lot of cross grain pipes, for example, cross grains occurred a lot within the Charatan Special line. That was one of their attractions.

Here's a Castello Old Antiquari Canadian shape that is a cross grain. And it should be evident from the pattern why the pipe maker decided to do that. So one should keep an open mind and not be too doctrinaire about these things.

If you use google to look at pics of plateau briar block you'll see it as it is before before being cut into a shape.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am
Rusty wrote:
Bubble? That's the outside of the briar burl which is usually present with plateau block.
There is just so much to still learn about pipes and tobaccos. Humbling.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:52 pm

This has become without a doubt my favorite pipe, a Teipen Billiard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:52 pm

This has become without a doubt my favorite pipe, a Teipen Billiard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful pipe and great shape too.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

Steve S
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Steve S » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm

I've got two favorites.

This is my go-to pipe, and I made it myself. The draw is just right. I could have done a little better on one or two details, but I find the size and overall shape pleasing to both eye and hand.

My other favorite is the pipe on top in this pic. It's a favorite more for sentimental reasons than anything else (though I do like churchwardens). Again, it's one I made myself, and I made both the pipes pictured as a set. They're cut from the same briar block. I kept the top one for myself and gave the bottom one to my oldest daughter (yes, she's old enough to smoke). We don't smoke a lot, but sometimes we just need to sit out on the porch with our pipes, have some father-daughter time, and talk things out.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Soooooo hard to pick just one, but maybe mine is this Teipen bent billiard:

For nostalgia, it would easily be the pipe I posted earlier in the thread, my first - given to me by my son decades ago, a Comoy’s bulldog.

If the choice somehow manages to avoid nostalgia and focuses simply on which pipe seems to be getting grabbed and smoked the most lately, it would be a tie between the Teipen and these two . . .

A Tinsky bent Dublin:

And a Pitenpauw author:

I’m gravitating toward smaller pipes, lately.

And dang it, having already posted way too many, I keep thinking of others I have left out, a Rad Davis Dublin, a Curt Rollar Horn, a Becker and Musico Liverpool . . .

Kinda like fly rods.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:08 pm

I have several in rotation and like all of them...but I have 3 that get smoked the most and they are all 3 from makers here. A turner, a Teipen and a FredS. All three are smoked regularly and I have to make myself pick up and smoke the others...I enjoy them, but those 3 are my favs!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:46 pm

I have an amazing, excellent beyond good smoker.. one so great that I've never experienced anything that smoked this good before. I've posted here about it many times before.

I may or may not post up a pic of the Ser Jacopo laters.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 am

I don't know if I have a favorite as much as I have a 'go to' pipe, which would be a straight billiard Savinelli 'second'.

That said, the other day I was perusing through my pipes in order to give one to a cousin in law who is just taking up the pipe and I found myself unable to part with almost all of them. There's the POY's that have been graciously gifted to me via the amazing generosity of CPS, there's my FredS pipe gifted to me at a Christmas get together with FredS and Zed. My Lord of the Rings-esque "Strider" pipe I bought from LushMojo, the churchwarden given to me as payment for officiating a wedding, etc. Most of my pipes could lay claim to being my 'favorite' for some reason or another.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis