Anybody know anything about a pipemaker named Schmelzer?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Anybody know anything about a pipemaker named Schmelzer?

Post by Rusty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 pm
Rusty wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:05 pm
What else does your right hand do?
Nobody answer this question.
He's not nobody. And you do not know the answer. This is not unusual.

It could be that he is close to ambidextrous and that led to his choices. Most of us know that we need our master hand to do much of anything. So I think holding the pipe, when that is needed, is usually relegated to the other hand. But he didn't. Perhaps others do this too. In which case smoking is a different activity.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 pm
Del wrote:
Rusty wrote:

It could be that he is close to ambidextrous and that led to his choices. Most of us know that we need our master hand to do much of anything. So I think holding the pipe, when that is needed, is usually relegated to the other hand. But he didn't. Perhaps others do this too. In which case smoking is a different activity.
This will require some pondering.

It’s sort of like the man with the long beard who was asked whether he slept with his beard under or over his blankets.
Never having thought about it before, he became unable to sleep. I hope I’m still able to smoke.

I am fairly left hand dominant. I write and throw lefty.

But I shoot right handed, because right-handed guns were always available and left-handed guns weren’t. I can cast a fly rod with either hand. I use most tools with either hand, but some right-handed because some of them work better that way.
I eat like a European with the fork in one hand and the knife in the other.
I was neither-foot dominant as a soccer player; so naturally, I was always played on the left side.

Apparently I smoke like a right hander.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:09 pm
Rusty wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 pm
Del wrote:
Rusty wrote:

This will require some pondering.

It’s sort of like the man with the long beard who was asked whether he slept with his beard under or over his blankets.
Never having thought about it before, he became unable to sleep. I hope I’m still able to smoke.

I am fairly left hand dominant. I write and throw lefty.

But I shoot right handed, because right-handed guns were always available and left-handed guns weren’t. I can cast a fly rod with either hand. I use most tools with either hand, but some right-handed because some of them work better that way.
I eat like a European with the fork in one hand and the knife in the other.
I was neither-foot dominant as a soccer player; so naturally, I was always played on the left side.

Apparently I smoke like a right hander.

How interesting! I suppose it depends upon the right hander, when you say you smoke like one. I actually use my hands when smoking just as you do, so you're correct in this case. Which frees my dominant right hand for other things usually. And I am right handed. You use your dominant left hand on the pipe and leave your right hand to deal with tools. But I'd rather trust my left hand not to close the shank of a Canadian shape in the door when I'm going through it and closing the door behind. So if the pipe is in my hand then it's in my left hand and very rarely in the right hand. Of course if one clenches the pipe in the mouth then both hands are free for some period of time. It's my left hand that manipulates the pipe.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light