2018 CPS POY Brain Stormin' Thread

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Re: 2018 CPS POY Brain Stormin' Thread

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:49 pm

"Working as intended" -- Pepik

This is the typical discussion I've seen in the past with POY. To me it always seems a tad more cantankerous than necessary but maybe that too is part of the process.

As for me, I like the idea of a Canadian shape (in reference to Rusty and his passing). Stamping: CPS POY 2018 like we traditionally do.

Heck, I had to look up Canadian shape. In my little collection I'll know what it means. No need for "in memoriam".

I request we have a slight donation option above as we send in the amount that can go toward Rusty's family or donation efforts. That is, if I send in 100 (as an example) that 20 will be collected with any other excess collected and the total sent toward an agreed upon goal. However, my request on this is only as a simpler means of collecting and distributing and by no means would be tied into the pipe price.

I'd be looking for a seconded and confirmed --- or the leader of the POY 2018 to just say "Eyup.. cando".

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:55 pm

I did not know Rusty very well but I see nothing unusual or wrong with honoring him in this way. My journey into piping is relatively new and my few nice pipes are all CPS POYs. The photos you folks have been posting of the Blatter Canadian are quite impressive.

It has been my experience that slightly bent pipes work much better than straight, for me. I do not suppose that there is such a thing as a bent Canadian pipe? If such a style existed I would like to explore the possibility of ordering either straight or bent. I understand that is not very likely and if it were it might make the process too complicated. But I mention it just in case....

They should be laser engraved with at least "CPS POY 2018". "In honor of Rusty" (or similar) is a nice touch and is fine with me.

I am still getting to know you all but I have learned a few things. The members of CPS love their pipes. Are quick to humor. Don't hold back with opinions and even a bit of ribbing now and again. But I sense an overall feeling of Christian love here. If any of us do not "get" honoring Rusty in this way that is fine. There is no reason not respect both sides on this issue.

I am in for however this evolves. (Unless it goes totally weird.)

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 am
You’d have to calculate the value of the entire collection and divide it or just post pics and have someone claim each one and pay whichever price or how would that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What subject do you teach?
Spanglish

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:22 pm
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 am
You’d have to calculate the value of the entire collection and divide it or just post pics and have someone claim each one and pay whichever price or how would that work?

What subject do you teach?
Spanglish

:) bless you, sir.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 pm

FredS wrote:Seemingly sarcastic? I think Bob was being full on sarcastic.

Engraving a dead guys name and bookend dates on a pipe seems odd to me. But so do those 'In Memory Of. . .' decals on the back windows of cars. I'd certainly buy that pipe, chip in for one for the family, and maybe even sponsor a brother here who can't afford one. But I was thinking just 'CPS 2018'.
Yes I think the tradition should be upheld, pipefish, CPS POY 2018 if you wanna put IMO Rusty on there too go for it, but I think personally doing a Canadian Pipe, knowing that we are giving one to his family, that’s enough for me. It will have meaning because we all know it does, not because we’ve turned the pipe itself into a tombstone. I like were we are headed, but I don’t think Rusty would at us to compromise our longstanding tradition for him either. I could be wrong.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 pm
calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm
What the hell is going on, here? Is this a CPS POY or a Franklin Mint Rusty pipe?
Can you clarify you're seemingly sarcastic question?
I liked Rusty. I did. But this seems more like trading on his memory than a CPS POY.

What's next? A genuine pipe tamper carved from one of his fingers?
OK CPS'ers.....time to "pipe up" and let us all know what you'd like to have happen. It appeared to me that there was enough interest in dedicating this year's POY in dedication of Rusty. From the second post in this thread on.

To my mind, you can have a generic CPS POY of some pipe or other.....or you could still have a CPS POY that for 2018 might have more meaning for others.

I will let this discussion flow a bit before I come back to respond. If no one wants this to happen, that's fine too. Those who wanted to honour Rusty could simply contact me to obtain information about receiving one of his pipes from his collection before they're sent off to be sold.

I'm easy either way. Over to you now. I'm reminded about why I left the church politic again......

E
Yes, it's difficult to realize the place isn't a church.
True true

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 pm

What fresh hell is this?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 pm

hugodrax wrote:
calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm
calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm
So how about this then. Since we're brainstorming....

Keep this thread about the CPS POY 2018

Start another thread about those who are interested in having a Canadian shaped Blatter pipe commissioned by Patrick Blatter.

We can separate the discussions and go from there. That way, those who simply want a POY without any 'Rust" on it can have/order one.

Good idea? :D
Why? Why not just sit back and see what happens? It sounds like this is working out pretty much how you want, maybe we should relax a minute and see what works out.

From a distance, by the small amount of authority around here granted to me by foolish men, I'm going to issue a ukase in the name of Monarchist, on whom be peace unto the ages of ages:

The Rev Mr Thom shall be in charge of coordinating with Blatter and Blatter regarding the 80 dollar Canadian pipe.

Let's see what they say before moving to step two, shall we? See if we can get the pipe at a fair price before moving on to engraving.
Um....I've already said that I was in contact with RevThom and Patrick Blatter who will be making the pipes and all that remains is the go-ahead from this group. I've mentioned the steps above with regards to the process I proposed. RevThom received the ball from the scrimmage line and threw it to me. Are you asking me to throw the ball back?

To be clear, what we have on the table for discussion is that Patrick Blatter has agreed to make 20 - 25 pipes in the Canadian shape (as found in the photos). That's it. There's been no contract signed or anything. No stamping decided on yet. Nothing. This can all be undone. No problem. If you'd like RevThom continue with this I can step away as well. Just let me know what you guys would like.
I thought I had. Didn't I?
I personally think we all need to take a breather here, it seems to me like if we all just stop slinging mud we can come together. Calvinistanglican, correct me if I’m wrong, but the Rusty engraving is just an idea you had, if people just wanted to keep it as a traditional POY even though it’s an homage to a lost comrade, you’d be ok with it, yes? The man just had an idea and all of a sudden everyone is attacking each other. Not Cool friends... we can put the engraving to a vote in a few days, as long as Calvinistanglican is cool with following the forums group decisions I don’t see why he need step back, if not he can make that choice himself. Does that sound ok?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Skip wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 pm
What fresh hell is this?
Tamped down, that's what kind. Move along, folks, nothing to see here. :D

Other than, of course, pipers pontificating pipe preferences.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 pm
Skip wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 pm
What fresh hell is this?
Tamped down, that's what kind. Move along, folks, nothing to see here. :D

Other than, of course, pipers pontificating pipe preferences.
you missed "pissy" and "politicking."
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Skip wrote:What fresh hell is this?
Dung berry flavored...

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 pm

Is there possibly a new Morley Award waiting herein?

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:01 pm

It seems one of my post was deleted. I ask that whoever did so PM me and explain why. Regardless, I stand by it.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Well then. I think in haste this morning I explained poorly to CA how this process usually goes. He was excited about the possibility and I told him if he has direct contact with the company to contact them and report his findings to everyone. I know we still have some way to go before making final decisions. We haven't even had a poll yet for goodness sakes!

But he has reported his findings. A Canadian shape for $65 USD. Dang son. That's a good deal.

Other suggestions? Should we make a poll with some of the previously suggested makers and shapes as well? Just wait a bit?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:28 pm

I believe the Council of Hats - with input from the Council of Elders - should consider this topic.

:twisted:

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Skip wrote:I believe the Council of Hats - with input from the Council of Elders - should consider this topic.

:twisted:
Forsooth

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 pm

ReverendThom wrote:Well then. I think in haste this morning I explained poorly to CA how this process usually goes. He was excited about the possibility and I told him if he has direct contact with the company to contact them and report his findings to everyone. I know we still have some way to go before making final decisions. We haven't even had a poll yet for goodness sakes! Image

But he has reported his findings. A Canadian shape for $65 USD. Dang son. That's a good deal.

Other suggestions? Should we make a poll with some of the previously suggested makers and shapes as well? Just wait a bit?

What he said....thanks Rev. I will wait for direction from you moving forward in this process. I will order a pipe for me and one for Mrs Rusty. I’ll leave it to you guys to hash out your process.

And for the record, Rusty is not some dead guy....he is a dear friend of mine.

Thank you everyone. I look forward to being at your service.

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

2018 CPS POY Brain Stormin' Thread

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote: Calvinistanglican, correct me if I’m wrong, but the Rusty engraving is just an idea you had, if people just wanted to keep it as a traditional POY even though it’s an homage to a lost comrade, you’d be ok with it, yes?
Yes, that is correct.
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote: The man just had an idea and all of a sudden everyone is attacking each other. Not Cool friends... we can put the engraving to a vote in a few days, as long as Calvinistanglican is cool with following the forums group decisions I don’t see why he need step back, if not he can make that choice himself. Does that sound ok?
Again, yes, and RevThom is spearheading this effort now. If he would like some help, I’ll be here to assist him in any way I can.

Thank you.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:42 am

Beyond the Rusty factor - a Blatter Canadian is just a straight up nice pipe. And for $65 bucks? Woah. If they can produce 20-25 identical club pipes in that shape for that price, well that's amazing. Not every block can be turned into a Canadian.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 am

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote: Calvinistanglican, correct me if I’m wrong, but the Rusty engraving is just an idea you had, if people just wanted to keep it as a traditional POY even though it’s an homage to a lost comrade, you’d be ok with it, yes?
Yes, that is correct.
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote: The man just had an idea and all of a sudden everyone is attacking each other. Not Cool friends... we can put the engraving to a vote in a few days, as long as Calvinistanglican is cool with following the forums group decisions I don’t see why he need step back, if not he can make that choice himself. Does that sound ok?
Again, yes, and RevThom is spearheading this effort now. If he would like some help, I’ll be here to assist him in any way I can.

Thank you.

Um-- I sent my PM to you on interest and personal contact info. Was I supposed to shift and send it to RevThom?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning