2018 CPS POY Brain Stormin' Thread

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Re: 2018 CPS POY Brain Stormin' Thread

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Good ideas coming forth. Personally, I think that if we can get Blatter & Blatter to make a pipe in an agreed upon shape (Canadian, Bulldog, Rhodesian) and it could be made for around $80.00 or so, that would be the way to go. I like someone's suggestion of having something engraved onto the pipe(s). That would have to be explored as well.

Choosing a pipe from Rusty's collection would cost some folks more than $80.00 and therefore making a POY out of reach and that's not fair. As well, the orderly Anglican in me sees some merit in us all having a similar pipe to smoke in honour of Rusty - it kind of points to the uniqueness of CPS, his contribution and participation, and you're collective acceptance of him (though not always what he posited)! lol

Thoughts? I like the discussion, let's keep it moving and I'd like to hear from more folks too.

E

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:12 am

The Blatter standard Canadian.
A lovely pipe, currently priced at $80 online

I would be happy to see a Blatter smooth Canadian in honor of Rusty as the POTY.
The discussion effectively ended here. If B&B won't coordinate a run and sell for us, we can raise up someone here to collect the monies and place a large order (I'd expect this run to be 20-25 pipes), and send them to our friend in Indy for the POY engraving, before distributing them among buyers. I understand this is not attractive work so having B&B coordinate the deal would be best. Let's see what the good ReverendThom finds out.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:35 pm

The Blatter standard Canadian. A lovely pipe, currently priced at $80 online. I would be happy to see a Blatter smooth Canadian in honor of Rusty as the POTY.

The discussion effectively ended here. If B&B won't coordinate a run and sell for us, we can raise up someone here to collect the monies and place a large order (I'd expect this run to be 20-25 pipes), and send them to our friend in Indy for the POY engraving, before distributing them among buyers. I understand this is not attractive work so having B&B coordinate the deal would be best. Let's see what the good ReverendThom finds out.

OK....consensus time. I have (with RevThom graciousness) made contact with Patrick Blatter and he is willing to do this for us. I showed him the photo of the pipe above and that will be the shape we're ordering. I asked for 20 - 25 pipes to be made. I'm working out the final price with him (just waiting for confirmation) but the pipes will most likely be $65.00 US per pipe (or $80.00 Cdn) plus shipping from Canada to wherever you live.

Tragicalien and I will be buying a pipe for Mrs. Rusty, but if you'd like to contribute towards this pipe, just add some extra to your order and that will go towards the pipe. If we ordered 20 pipes and each pipe ordered had $4.00 added, then the pipe would be paid for. Nevertheless, Tragicalien and I will ensure she receives one from CPS.

If we all think this should proceed, the first step would be for you to send me a PM with your first and last name, full mailing address, phone number, and email address. That will be for me and my eyes only. I will then send you an email address with the steps for you to send me the money for the pipe(s) you order.

Once I have all the money (or the order by date has been met), I will then drive to Montreal and meet with Patrick to pay him. He will then begin fulfilling our order.

Once the pipes have been completed, I will drive up to Montreal again to collect them. This is where we need more help. Someone mentioned having them sent somewhere to be engraved. I'm wondering if there is something that we can do here locally or something? This would save having the pipes shipped here and there and everywhere. Or, they simply remain un-engraved? Thoughts?

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:38 pm

A Canadian shaped cps poy with "Rusty" engraved thereon? I'm pretty well hooked and ready for reeling in.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:38 pm
A Canadian shaped cps poy with "Rusty" engraved thereon? I'm pretty well hooked and ready for reeling in.
Yeah, me too. Something like:

"Rusty"
1955 - 2017

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm

What the hell is going on, here? Is this a CPS POY or a Franklin Mint Rusty pipe?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm
What the hell is going on, here? Is this a CPS POY or a Franklin Mint Rusty pipe?
Can you clarify you're seemingly sarcastic question?

Tragicalien
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Tragicalien » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:00 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:38 pm
Yeah, me too. Something like:

"Rusty"
1955 - 2017
Perfect.... I'm most definitely in!

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 pm
UncleBob wrote:
I liked Rusty. I did. But this seems more like trading on his memory than a CPS POY.

What's next? A genuine pipe tamper carved from one of his fingers?

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 pm
calvinistanglican wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I liked Rusty. I did. But this seems more like trading on his memory than a CPS POY.

OK CPS'ers.....time to "pipe up" and let us all know what you'd like to have happen. It appeared to me that there was enough interest in dedicating this year's POY in dedication of Rusty. From the second post in this thread on.

To my mind, you can have a generic CPS POY of some pipe or other.....or you could still have a CPS POY that for 2018 might have more meaning for others.

I will let this discussion flow a bit before I come back to respond. If no one wants this to happen, that's fine too. Those who wanted to honour Rusty could simply contact me to obtain information about receiving one of his pipes from his collection before they're sent off to be sold.

I'm easy either way. Over to you now. I'm reminded about why I left the church politic again......

E

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Seemingly sarcastic? I think Bob was being full on sarcastic.

Engraving a dead guys name and bookend dates on a pipe seems odd to me. But so do those 'In Memory Of. . .' decals on the back windows of cars. I'd certainly buy that pipe, chip in for one for the family, and maybe even sponsor a brother here who can't afford one. But I was thinking just 'CPS 2018'.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:11 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm
UncleBob wrote:
calvinistanglican wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

OK CPS'ers.....time to "pipe up" and let us all know what you'd like to have happen. It appeared to me that there was enough interest in dedicating this year's POY in dedication of Rusty. From the second post in this thread on.

To my mind, you can have a generic CPS POY of some pipe or other.....or you could still have a CPS POY that for 2018 might have more meaning for others.

I will let this discussion flow a bit before I come back to respond. If no one wants this to happen, that's fine too. Those who wanted to honour Rusty could simply contact me to obtain information about receiving one of his pipes from his collection before they're sent off to be sold.

I'm easy either way. Over to you now. I'm reminded about why I left the church politic again......

E
Yes, it's difficult to realize the place isn't a church.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:13 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm
UncleBob wrote:
calvinistanglican wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

E
Yes I am reminded here of why some Christians can be annoying. First, they always want to sell you something. Second, they get butt-hurt when anyone questions what is going on. Third, they often make it about religion when it isn't.

This is the brain-storming thread--nothing was or has been decided. This is where it all gets hashed-out. Yes, I think it is weird that the POY is getting hijacked in Rusty's name and it is even weirder that those doing it get all pissy when someone goes, "Hey now. Wait a second here." Ultimately it isn't up to any one person--you, me, or Goose.

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Engraving a dead guys name and bookend dates on a pipe seems odd to me. But so do those 'In Memory Of. . .' decals on the back windows of cars.
I only put that forward as that was what was done in another group for someone who had passed on there too. Peter WD along with his dates. We all received a Peterson 12S or 9S pipe and this was engraved onto the silver mounting. It was tasteful in my mind.

The pipe doesn't need to have Rusty on it, or dates, but I thought it fitting.

And I'm not getting 'pissy' - UncleBob, it's the pejorative word use you're employing.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:21 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm
FredS wrote:

Engraving a dead guys name and bookend dates on a pipe seems odd to me. But so do those 'In Memory Of. . .' decals on the back windows of cars.
I only put that forward as that was what was done in another group for someone who had passed on there too. Peter WD along with his dates. We all received a Peterson 12S or 9S pipe and this was engraved onto the silver mounting. It was tasteful in my mind.

And I'm not getting 'pissy' - UncleBob, it's the pejorative word use you're employing.
calvinisanglican wrote:I'm easy either way. Over to you now. I'm reminded about why I left the church politic again......

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm

So how about this then. Since we're brainstorming....

Keep this thread about the CPS POY 2018

Start another thread about those who are interested in having a Canadian shaped Blatter pipe commissioned by Patrick Blatter.

We can separate the discussions and go from there. That way, those who simply want a POY without any 'Rust" on it can have/order one.

Good idea? :D

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm
FredS wrote:

I understand you think it fitting and that's why you proposed it. I'm not fond of the idea. Two minds, two opinions. Nothing more or less between you and I. It seems like we're zeroing in on this pipe as the 2018 POY, and the shape and maker are certainly in honor of Rusty whether it's so engraved or not. We still have a ways to go in this process and we'll have opportunities for the group's input. These things are never unanimous, so we'll put it to a vote when the time is right.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm

Start another thread about those who are interested in having a Canadian shaped Blatter pipe commissioned by Patrick Blatter.

We can separate the discussions and go from there. That way, those who simply want a POY without any 'Rust" on it can have/order one.

Why? Why not just sit back and see what happens? It sounds like this is working out pretty much how you want, maybe we should relax a minute and see what works out.

From a distance, by the small amount of authority around here granted to me by foolish men, I'm going to issue a ukase in the name of Monarchist, on whom be peace unto the ages of ages:

The Rev Mr Thom shall be in charge of coordinating with Blatter and Blatter regarding the 80 dollar Canadian pipe.

Let's see what they say before moving to step two, shall we? See if we can get the pipe at a fair price before moving on to engraving.

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm
calvinistanglican wrote:

Why? Why not just sit back and see what happens? It sounds like this is working out pretty much how you want, maybe we should relax a minute and see what works out.

From a distance, by the small amount of authority around here granted to me by foolish men, I'm going to issue a ukase in the name of Monarchist, on whom be peace unto the ages of ages:

The Rev Mr Thom shall be in charge of coordinating with Blatter and Blatter regarding the 80 dollar Canadian pipe.

Let's see what they say before moving to step two, shall we? See if we can get the pipe at a fair price before moving on to engraving.
Um....I've already said that I was in contact with RevThom and Patrick Blatter who will be making the pipes and all that remains is the go-ahead from this group. I've mentioned the steps above with regards to the process I proposed. RevThom received the ball from the scrimmage line and threw it to me. Are you asking me to throw the ball back?

To be clear, what we have on the table for discussion is that Patrick Blatter has agreed to make 20 - 25 pipes in the Canadian shape (as found in the photos). That's it. There's been no contract signed or anything. No stamping decided on yet. Nothing. This can all be undone. No problem. If you'd like RevThom continue with this I can step away as well. Just let me know what you guys would like.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm
calvinistanglican wrote:

Um....I've already said that I was in contact with RevThom and Patrick Blatter who will be making the pipes and all that remains is the go-ahead from this group. I've mentioned the steps above with regards to the process I proposed. RevThom received the ball from the scrimmage line and threw it to me. Are you asking me to throw the ball back?

To be clear, what we have on the table for discussion is that Patrick Blatter has agreed to make 20 - 25 pipes in the Canadian shape (as found in the photos). That's it. There's been no contract signed or anything. No stamping decided on yet. Nothing. This can all be undone. No problem. If you'd like RevThom continue with this I can step away as well. Just let me know what you guys would like.
I thought I had. Didn't I?