Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Filtered or Unfiltered...Yes or no

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm
Unless I really like the shape, or it's a super deal, I pass on pipes made for filters. It's not a huge deal breaker, but I'd rather not have that empty chamber in the airway. We hear so much about precision engineered airways and an empty filter chamber just tosses the whole concept out the window. I'm interested in 'reverse calabash' pipes (and have designs in my sketchbook that I'll make some day), but I don't think the empty filter chamber is large enough to achieve the effect.

I recently bought a P. Piazzolla pipe from SmokingPipes.com and it has a stinger. I have a few others that I bought early in my pipe smoking career that I pulled the stingers out of just because everyone said that was the thing to do. I've left it in this new pipe to see how I like it. It smokes OK so I'll leave it for now. I don't clean my pipes much, but if/when this thing get's fouled I'll probably yank it out rather than try to clean it.
Hey Fred. I am looking at P. Piazzolla pipes as a gift for my pastor. I'm really digging the cut of French pipes nowadays and these look like a good value. How do you rate these in comparison to a regular old Grabow?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

424cat
Congregation
Congregation

Post by 424cat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm

I have two filtered pipes, both Rattray's. Both great smoking pipes with great draws using Stanwell 9mm filters
on bended knee

ScrumpyJack
Congregation
Congregation

Post by ScrumpyJack » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 pm

I general I don't look for filter pipes. However, I bought a Savinelli Bing about 6 months ago and It is an awesome pipe. I love it. I actually prefer to smoke it with the filter as opposed to using the adapter. Great pipe for an awesome price.

I can't speak to the stinger pipes.
SCRUMP