Cob/Missouri Meer Recommendation

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Cob/Missouri Meer Recommendation

Post by StoicDetective » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 am

I know this is going to stir the pot here at CPS (based on past history).

But, I am at an impasse; I broke a pipe the other day and wanting to replace it. Trolling around the internet and here at CPS, I have started to look at cob/mm pipes. These style of pipes are definitely new to me; never have owned or smoked one.

I like the pricing of cob/mm, but I am wondering about how well this style of pipes burn and effect the taste of the tobacco.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Re: Cob/Missouri Meer Recommendation

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:30 am

I'm bias so keep that in mind.
I like the taste of a cob.
It does take 3 or 4 smokes to break in.
The draw backs to cobs are small bowls and cheap stems.
The deluxe cobs have bigger bowls than the cheaper ones.
If you order a pipe(s) get a couple of extra stems, they are 50 cents each I think.
Clear finger nail polish is needed to coat the stems when they get loose.
Try them, it's not like you are making a large investment.
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am

no
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 am

I'm going to call him "Excitable Mall Cop."
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 am

I like the smoking quality of a cob. Most of them offer an open draw and burn well to the bottom. They are light, clenchable for long periods of time, and you're not out much dinero if run over them with a lawn mower or drop them over the side of the boat. On the negative, smoking to the bottom can yield a burned wood taste if you scorch the wooden stem. Also, and I truly hate when this happens, a poorly assemble cob will have glue residue that tastes and smells bad when it gets burned. I can only assume burning glue would give off fumes you don't want, too. I kind of like the burning corn smell/taste you can get while breaking in a cob. For the cost, I'd say give it a shot. While some may not smoke well, I've never had one that smokes bad enough to throw it away.

Oh, and cobs also make you look like a hick, but that's a badge of honor for some of us.

I own a few that I'm happy with, but don't seem to reach for them very often anymore. Not really sure why.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:17 pm

hugodrax wrote:I'm going to call him "Excitable Mall Cop."
"Shots fired!" .... Oh wait nevermind comment was made by an attorney. Show me back in service. No report required.

Hugodrax, a good amount of harmless banter between an attorney and a LEO is always welcome. Keeps ... my mall cop skills sharp. Lol.

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:52 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:17 pm
"Shots fired!" .... Oh wait nevermind comment was made by an attorney. Show me back in service. No report required.

Hugodrax, a good amount of harmless banter between an attorney and a LEO is always welcome. Keeps ... my mall cop skills sharp. Lol.

Sent via telegraph
I'm a defense attorney. I get along with almost every LEO I know. I've even stood godfather once and a while.

Btw--Thanks for keeping my family safe from my clients.

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:02 pm

hugodrax wrote:
StoicDetective wrote:

Sent via telegraph
I'm a defense attorney. I get along with almost every LEO I know. I've even stood godfather once and a while.

Defense is just as important as prosecution. Upon, retirement I'd entertain defense investigations to ensure the State has got their stuff right and didn't miss anything. Personally, I am one of those weird LEOs that is a die hard 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 10th guys.

Sent via telegraph

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:09 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:02 pm
hugodrax wrote:
StoicDetective wrote:

Sent via telegraph

Defense is just as important as prosecution. Upon, retirement I'd entertain defense investigations to ensure the State has got their stuff right and didn't miss anything. Personally, I am one of those weird LEOs that is a die hard 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 10th guys.

Sent via telegraph
They're out there. Usually over a certain age. Young guys, whether defense, prosecution, or LEO, tend to be true believers. Older I get, the more convinced I am that there is no black and white in the world.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Right now the Blackhawks are up 1-0 over the Leafs and I am having McCl 2010 w. 14% added Latakia. I like this mix. And it sings in my solo cob.

It’s the new MM Devils Anise sort of shape. The stem on it is far better than other MM’s i’ve Had in the past.

Denis likes cobs too. Just sayin’

Enjoy your cob, mate.
Last edited by DepartedLight on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Yeah, buy a cob. Look to make sure it isn't badly glued. First couple of bowls should be a quick burning ribbon. Then, when that hardwood insert from the stem is good and charred, back it off with a pen knife and smoke her till she turns black. If the bowl cracks, use Elmer's glue to fill.

Pay no attention to to the self-loathing hillbillies. Sam Clemens smoked a cob and he was nature's own gentleman.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 pm

If you're seriously considering getting an MM, you might want to consider their 10 pipe grab bag of smokable seconds. For the price of a briar basket pipe, you get a pretty good sampling of the cobs available.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Waste of time and money. Only as Jim said, fine if you are working in the yard or cutting grass. I don't do either. That is what cash and teenagers are for.

I have tried them, just not my choice.

That said, no one could tell me either. I had to try it myself. That's part of the fun of pipe smoking is discovery.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 pm
Yeah, buy a cob. Look to make sure it isn't badly glued. First couple of bowls should be a quick burning ribbon. Then, when that hardwood insert from the stem is good and charred, back it off with a pen knife and smoke her till she turns black. If the bowl cracks, use Elmer's glue to fill.

Pay no attention to to the self-loathing hillbillies. Sam Clemens smoked a cob and he was nature's own gentleman.
That’s a mighty fancy cob pipe break in process you got go going there, Pittsburgh. Are you sure you’re not a little more east of Pittsburgh? Maybe closer to the Alabama area?
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:16 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:

That’s a mighty fancy cob pipe break in process you got go going there, Pittsburgh. Are you sure you’re not a little more east of Pittsburgh? Maybe closer to the Alabama area?
Positive. That's Thunktank territory.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:16 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:

Positive. That's Thunktank territory.
Not, of course, that I'm saying he's a hick. I grew up close to the Ohio line.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:38 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:52 pm
Thanks for keeping my family safe from my clients.
:rotfl:
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

CupOjoe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by CupOjoe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:00 pm

The Little Devil Anse MM pipes are nice. Just recently got one and I’m shocked how much I liked it. They also look a little more “classy” with the dark stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:14 pm

COCO!

We need you here.
Sola Deo Gloria

winter_hunt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by winter_hunt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 am

I got my redneck friend a cob. His first pipe and he loves it.
I do like grabbing mine for a casual smoke... I feel like I can just stuff a bit in, and go out for a decent (and generally shorter) smoke without feeling guilty for not putting all the ritual time in...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk