New or Estate?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

New or Estate?

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 pm

How many New pipes vs Estate pipes when you acquired them, do you have in your pile? I got to looking the other night at my pile and counting. My first 2 pipes were new. Since then its been mostly Estate pipes that end up in my group, so I counted and its 2 Estate pipes for every New pipe. If I had thought about it without counting I would have guessed that it was about even but now that I have counted and am thinking about it, I rarely look at new pipes, most of the time I am looking at Estate pipes on the auction or...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: New or Estate?

Post by Cleon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm

Estate by far. IMO, you get better pipes at better prices that way. I have the added affliction that I like old make English pipes. Something about their shape and craftsmanship that I just love. I find pleasure in restoring them too.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm not certain, but I believe the majority of my pipes are estates. I know for sure the vast majority of the pipes I enjoy the most are estate pipes.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:23 pm

Estates
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:27 pm

Almost all estates. I prefer old English factory pipes.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Well my first three pipes were my Dad’s he gave me years back and were old when he gave them to me (thinking one was his durring WWII). That said, with recently picking them up and smoking them again I decided it was time for my own pipe. I looked and new and estate pipes and liked mentioned above looked more at estate because I could get a better pipe for my buck then new (and hey, none of my pipes were new anyway). Ended up buying an estate . . . Unsmoked, but an estate, lol. So I guess I just bought my first new pipe?
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:04 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm
Well my first three pipes were my Dad’s he gave me years back and were old when he gave them to me (thinking one was his durring WWII). That said, with recently picking them up and smoking them again I decided it was time for my own pipe. I looked and new and estate pipes and liked mentioned above looked more at estate because I could get a better pipe for my buck then new (and hey, none of my pipes were new anyway). Ended up buying an estate . . . Unsmoked, but an estate, lol. So I guess I just bought my first new pipe?
First, Welcome to CPS! Having your dad's pipes is a treasure. Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:44 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm
Welcome. Please post a bio. We'd like to razz you on general principles.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks and thanks. Once in a very rare occasion I will smoke a bowl of Golden Rod he had left in his tobacco canister. This has to be from the 90’s and in truth is to dry to be any good, but, it is special to smoke it while I remember him.

And he said to the man,

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:44 pm

Welcome. Please post a bio. We'd like to razz you on general principles.
Done and awaiting the razzing to commence. :chili:

And he said to the man,

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:45 pm

Welcome rg! You are very fortunate to have some of your dad’s pipes. (Love your avatar.)

BH - I’ve got a pretty even mix of pipes that were bought new and estates, and I’ve had really good luck finding unsmoked estates and estates that are barely smoked. I’ve stumbled into a fair number of them. The majority of my artisan pipes have been unsmoked or barely smoked estates with the occasional new pipe or commission.

I have enjoyed restoring a fair number of old estate Comoy’s, Orliks and Petes and a few estate Savinellis.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 pm

I'd say it's probably 10 to 1 in favor of estates. This will change as I thin the herd. Due to commence around spring time.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 am

Steverino wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 pm
I'd say it's probably 10 to 1 in favor of estates. This will change as I thin the herd. Due to commence around spring time.
Oooh. You have some nice Grabows!
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:12 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 am
Steverino wrote:
Agreed. Which is interesting when I think of my collection and the original question. The largest name (by number) is Peterson, with Grabow a surprising second. It's about 50/50 new to estate on the Peterson side, but every single one of my Grabows has been a new purchase. So now I might have to purchase some of Steve's estate Grabows to make up for that irregularity.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:13 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:12 am
Cleon wrote:
Steverino wrote:
Agreed. Which is interesting when I think of my collection and the original question. The largest name (by number) is Peterson, with Grabow a surprising second. It's about 50/50 new to estate on the Peterson side, but every single one of my Grabows has been a new purchase. So now I might have to purchase some of Steve's estate Grabows to make up for that irregularity.
You would be most welcome.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:17 am

Cleon wrote:
Steverino wrote:
Some of them may not fit the "nice" catagory but with few exceptions they are in good shape. I have a collection of Grabow Regals I may try to sell as a set. I think it's around 30 pipes and includes some shapes that are fairly rare for the Regal line. Then there are the Kaywoodies.