hugodrax wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:02 pm
bean_counter wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:51 pm
bean_counter wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Or a Lovat. Lord Lovat smoked one in combat.
Wrong Lovat, I think. It wasn't the commando known for the shape, but his father. Then again, he was also an officer.
May have been named after his father, not sure, but the commando Lord Lovat took the namesake pipe with him. Smoked it while walking behind his piper in Normandy.
You know, I'd love to have some proof of that. The only pipes I've ever seen him smoking were billiards. If you have a pic, I'd love to have a copy. He's a bit of a hobby of mine. I like eccentrics.
Read about it somewhere, made a mental note of it. I’ll see if I can dig it up.
Thanks, sir.
I’ll likely have to just stumble over it again. Just try googling Lovat and pipe(r).
I'm not sure your problems with others are because of them, if you follow me. You want to say something unsubstantiated, then back it up. Don't invite me to fact check you myself.
That was a sarcastic comment about googling, not an invitation to do it yourself.

Just trying to be helpful, but I guess I’m just not good enough for the exalted intellects around here. Yeah, I read it somewhere. Trying to figure out where. Tearing through my bookcases when I have more important things to do, looking for Scottish military and WWII histories, trying to be helpful, for you, but then what’s the point now?

You folks really need to get your panties untwisted. I’m not trying to prove I’m better than you or any body else. Coming to a correct conclusion should be a conversation and not a slap down.

And yes, I do serious primary document historical research, assisting the Mrs in researching for a book on western state abolitionism. I am aware of proper documentation but this is just a silly hobby board, not an academic environment. I said what I said in GOOD FAITH and if you can’t accept it, then I guess it’s not my problem, really.

I tried to come back, but it sure didn’t take long to see that I made a big, big mistake. Bye!
Wow. That's a whole bunch of weaksauce right there, tough guy.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Military Friend wants a pipe

Post by Cleon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 pm

kaydens wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:05 pm
It's hard to find a good middle ground between "Price doesn't matter" and "Fear of loss and destruction"

It'd be easier to have a range of budget that he's willing to spend.
It's more fun to cling to "price doesn't matter." Go wild. I know you've seen some doozies over the years.

Was it you that's handled a Nordh Rhamses?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:54 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm
bean_counter wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:31 pm
bean_counter wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:12 pm
bean_counter wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
bean_counter wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Wrong Lovat, I think. It wasn't the commando known for the shape, but his father. Then again, he was also an officer.
May have been named after his father, not sure, but the commando Lord Lovat took the namesake pipe with him. Smoked it while walking behind his piper in Normandy.
You know, I'd love to have some proof of that. The only pipes I've ever seen him smoking were billiards. If you have a pic, I'd love to have a copy. He's a bit of a hobby of mine. I like eccentrics.
Read about it somewhere, made a mental note of it. I’ll see if I can dig it up.
Thanks, sir.
I’ll likely have to just stumble over it again. Just try googling Lovat and pipe(r).
I'm not sure your problems with others are because of them, if you follow me. You want to say something unsubstantiated, then back it up. Don't invite me to fact check you myself.
That was a sarcastic comment about googling, not an invitation to do it yourself.

Just trying to be helpful, but I guess I’m just not good enough for the exalted intellects around here. Yeah, I read it somewhere. Trying to figure out where. Tearing through my bookcases when I have more important things to do, looking for Scottish military and WWII histories, trying to be helpful, for you, but then what’s the point now?

You folks really need to get your panties untwisted. I’m not trying to prove I’m better than you or any body else. Coming to a correct conclusion should be a conversation and not a slap down.

And yes, I do serious primary document historical research, assisting the Mrs in researching for a book on western state abolitionism. I am aware of proper documentation but this is just a silly hobby board, not an academic environment. I said what I said in GOOD FAITH and if you can’t accept it, then I guess it’s not my problem, really.

I tried to come back, but it sure didn’t take long to see that I made a big, big mistake. Bye!
Wow. That's a whole bunch of weaksauce right there, tough guy.
Whatever. I was being honest. I was going out of my way to find the source because you said you were interested.

I guess you set up a lawyerly trap, since I don’t have it at my fingertips. Nice Christian fellowship there, bud. Same problem I had with others here, if you get my drift.
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Cleon wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 pm
kaydens wrote:
It's hard to find a good middle ground between "Price doesn't matter" and "Fear of loss and destruction"

It's more fun to cling to "price doesn't matter." Go wild. I know you've seen some doozies over the years.

"Price doesn't matter" is a dangerous thought experiment that always seems to end with me spending money I haven't yet made. :lol:

Yes, handled as in "held in my hand for about 10 seconds". :D
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

"On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God."

~J. S. Bach

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 pm

kaydens wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 pm
Cleon wrote:
kaydens wrote:

"Price doesn't matter" is a dangerous thought experiment that always seems to end with me spending money I haven't yet made. :lol:

Oooh. And you didn't melt like wax in the hot sun? Was it really all that?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Cleon wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 pm
kaydens wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 pm
Cleon wrote:
kaydens wrote:

Oooh. And you didn't melt like wax in the hot sun? Was it really all that?
The craftsmanship/artisanry is amazing. But not a pipe I would ever smoke, even if price doesn't matter.

Back to the OP, if price really is no issue, something like this would work nicely, I think:
Image Image Image Image
Last edited by kaydens on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

"On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God."

~J. S. Bach

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
bean_counter wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
bean_counter wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:00 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:02 pm
Maybe a nice canadian or lumberman with the wider ova shank might be stronger?
Or a Lovat. Lord Lovat smoked one in combat.
If it were me, I'd get him a CPS-made pipe, like someone already suggested in one of the other posts. A Lovat, in fact.

Re the previous Lord Lovat "discussion", I can add the following: In the book Beyond Hill Country, Ernest Schwiebert talks about his remembrances of Gene Hill, and as usual he drops names all over the place. One of the names was Cornelius Ryan of The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far. Ryan is holding forth with WWII stories, "great tank battles that took place near St Petersburg and Moscow, at places like Demyansk and Smolensk and Kursk". Anyway, someone asked Ryan about D-Day, and "whether Lord Lovat had actually stood on Sword Beach with his bulldog ignoring the withering fire". Ryan apparently believed it was true, and included the story in The Longest Day. Of course, this could be referencing an actual dog.

Hope this helps to clear things up.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

bean_counter

Post by bean_counter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
nah. the whole exercise was to embarrass me.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:01 am

bean_counter wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Don’t let it get to ya brother, people are dumb, Christian or no, they can be good, and they can be stupid, and for my part I appreciated your contribution to the discussion. Hugo is a good guy, well intentioned, just gets a little to deep in the sarcasm sometimes. You also gotta remember people around here love a battle of wits and a good debate. Maybe it’s a pride issue or maybe it’s just fun. Either way, don’t let it get too ya, just brush it off and say something witty and move on. I gladly accept when anyone wants to make me look like a fool around here, because I already know I am one, so there is nothing to prove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:07 am

As for the CPS pipe idea, there is potential there, but for now I gotta get ready for work. More later

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:29 am

bean_counter wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Good gravy. The intention was to find your source on a subject that interests me. You’re going to have to take personal responsibility for any embarrassment you’ve caused yourself.

“Lawyerly trap.” “Nice Christian fellowship, bud.” A private apology followed by the above public post. Over Lovat pipes. What happens if someone disagrees with you over something important?

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:06 am

Peterson: Premier System Smooth (B42) P-Lip
Product Number: 002-029-35498
$196

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

bean_counter

Post by bean_counter » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:29 am
bean_counter wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Good gravy. The intention was to find your source on a subject that interests me. You’re going to have to take personal responsibility for any embarrassment you’ve caused yourself.

“Lawyerly trap.” “Nice Christian fellowship, bud.” A private apology followed by the above public post. Over Lovat pipes. What happens if someone disagrees with you over something important?
Point of order, the above post was before my apology. Sorry that the timing appeared otherwise, it was not the reality nor was it intended to be so. I'm truly sorry if you got the wrong impression. Not that it matters I guess, I'm not taken at my word anyway.

No agenda, not trying to be big man on CPS winning the Internet wars. Just trying to be. Just weary of the crap in life, and I don't need more.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 am

bean_counter wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:29 am
bean_counter wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Point of order, the above post was before my apology. Sorry that the timing appeared otherwise, it was not the reality nor was it intended to be so. I'm truly sorry if you got the wrong impression. Not that it matters I guess, I'm not taken at my word anyway.

No agenda, not trying to be big man on CPS winning the Internet wars. Just trying to be. Just weary of the crap in life, and I don't need more.
I know that feel. Sorry if I contributed to it. None of this matters and for my part, I understand I hurt you and I apologize. Not intending to isn't an excuse, either.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Military Friend wants a pipe

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 pm

The internet is a difficult place to communicate aye?

As for the idea of a CPS pipe he’s visiting me in May, I’ll check back and see what’s available for recommending then...

He’ll be looking to acquire it before he leaves in June.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:24 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:24 pm
Why not a Rhox, Mark Price, FredS or other CPS made pipe?
He gets quality and you get to help a brother out.
Indeed. But not the FredS pipe. Tell that Army sumbeach to take a number there. Me first.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 pm

I took a thick walled bent apple basket pipe to both Iraq and Afghanistan, and also a Savineli straight billiard to Afghanistan (didn’t own that one during my first deployment). The only one that came back was the Sav. I would go with a blast or rusticated finish as it won’t show dings and scratches as bad. I preferred the bent pipe as it was more out of the way when working. A bulldog or rhodie would work well with a bend in it.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 am

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 am

coco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 am
Teipen Heritage Series
FTW
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:15 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 am
coco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 am
Teipen Heritage Series
FTW
They do have nice proportions.

I still think old school Dunhill Bruyere is the way to go.

Alfred Dunhill wanted his pipes to be known around the world. WWI provided him the perfect opportunity to promote his product on an international scale. When an order was placed by an officer serving in Northern France, Alfred would send additional pipes with a note asking that they be distributed among his fellow officers. The pipes were sold not only to British officers but to Americans, French, Belgians and Canadians. By the end of the war the Dunhill Pipe, with its “white spot”, was known the world over.