kaydens wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 am
coco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 am
Teipen Heritage Series
FTW
This.
That was actually the first place I looked, I’m definitely going to show him Wayne’s site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Re: Military Friend wants a pipe

Post by rgcurrey » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 am

I kept looking at the Heritage pipes, but, it seems you have to be quick as they are always sold out.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 am

Indeed

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:28 am

If it's only going to be "one" pipe and money is no object, it's going to have to be a mixture of aesthetics and practicality. I liked Kayden's suggestion, as in it should be sandblasted, for sure, and it needs to have a decent sized shank (for potential drops), as well as a medium sized bowl. I would suggest the lighter, the better, but you want to find something in the healthy medium (1.5-2.5 oz). Anything less gets a bit dainty and will suffer if neglected (say, it's dropped).

A heritage series pipe by Wayne is a good starter. They're cheap, but not too cheap, and made extremely well. I'd probably buy a Nate King or one of Wayne's higher end pipes if I were only going to buy one and money was no object. Chris Askwith is a possibility for me too, as they are classic shapes, nice sandblast, and light.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:59 am

A meer eagle claw... they come with cases
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Joshoowah wrote:If it's only going to be "one" pipe and money is no object, it's going to have to be a mixture of aesthetics and practicality. I liked Kayden's suggestion, as in it should be sandblasted, for sure, and it needs to have a decent sized shank (for potential drops), as well as a medium sized bowl. I would suggest the lighter, the better, but you want to find something in the healthy medium (1.5-2.5 oz). Anything less gets a bit dainty and will suffer if neglected (say, it's dropped).

A heritage series pipe by Wayne is a good starter. They're cheap, but not too cheap, and made extremely well. I'd probably buy a Nate King or one of Wayne's higher end pipes if I were only going to buy one and money was no object. Chris Askwith is a possibility for me too, as they are classic shapes, nice sandblast, and light.
I like where your head is at!

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:22 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:23 pm
Joshoowah wrote:If it's only going to be "one" pipe and money is no object, it's going to have to be a mixture of aesthetics and practicality. I liked Kayden's suggestion, as in it should be sandblasted, for sure, and it needs to have a decent sized shank (for potential drops), as well as a medium sized bowl. I would suggest the lighter, the better, but you want to find something in the healthy medium (1.5-2.5 oz). Anything less gets a bit dainty and will suffer if neglected (say, it's dropped).

I like where your head is at!

Smokingpipes has an Askwith billiard in the estate pipe section that would fit this for $200.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:22 am

So this same guy is stopping by tomorrow and we are getting brunch, Time is short, He wants a pipe for vacation in Spain with his wife, so I’m just gonna lend him one of mine and some various samples he can try if whatever I have on hand.

Long term though I think I’ll gift him a pipe, budget for it, maybe buy it around Christmas time or something. I really want to get him one of the cheaper Teipen pipes, I’ll have to message Wayne.

We’ve been friends since high school, he was in my wedding, and he is an awesome guy, has always pushed me to my limits, imagine Hercules hanging out with Sancho Panza and you’ve got a good mental picture, lol!