"Reverse" Calabash Pipes

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

"Reverse" Calabash Pipes

Post by joegoat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm thinking about making a reverse calabash pipe to try out. If I think it's worth any extra effort, I might make more. Some are ugly as sin, but others are uniquely attractive. I'd love to hear an input at all y'all have on them. I also have a few more specific questions on them.

First off, what on earth makes the so "reverse?" The components are in the same order as a traditional gourd calabash. The tobacco burns in the tobacco chamber. The smoke is drawn into the cooling/drying chamber. After a few seconds swirling in there, it is drawn through the stem to the smoker's palate.
Second, do they work? Does the same tobacco taste or smoke differently in a reverse calabash than it does in a traditional pipe design?
Third, is there a science? Is there some magical ratio of cooling chamber to bowl size?

Thank you for any input at all you may have!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: "Reverse" Calabash Pipes

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Calabash:

Reverse Calabash:

On the calabash, the bowl rests in the cooling chamber. On the reverse, the cooling chamber is in the shank.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:54 pm
Calabash:

Reverse Calabash:

On the calabash, the bowl rests in the cooling chamber. On the reverse, the cooling chamber is in the shank.
Still in the same order though. The bottle stopper is clever!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:54 pm
Calabash:

Reverse Calabash:

Still in the same order though. The bottle stopper is clever!
The "reverse" is that the cooling chamber is facing backwards. That's all.

I have this one and it is a spectacular smoker:
Teipen Audrey 2

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm with Bob - the 'reverse' name has been applied because the cooling chamber is in the shank not the bowl. I've sketched some up but haven't got around to making any yet. One thing I've noticed on every RC pipe I've seen is that there's a bushing inserted in the briar mortise. I'm not sure why, but I suppose it's because the stummel (like all woods) changes size at different temperatures and relative humidity levels and a larger diameter mortise changes relatively more than a smaller mortise and the fit with the stem is loosened.

I agree with Joe that many reverse calabash's are ugly and that's what prompted me to tinker with the idea on paper. I'm a big fan of Vladimir Grechukhin and I think you could hide a cooling chamber nicely in some of his heavy-shanked designs. I don't know what sort of engineering principles - size/volume ratios in particular - should be applied to effectively cool the smoke. Of course anything is better than nothing, but a noticeably cooler smoke is the point of the whole exercise and I think it will take some experimenting to find when/if that happens. I've looked around the net a bit and not found anything illuminating. Then again, I often complain that the google machine has harmed the tinkerer because it's too easy to see what other folks have done instead of going to the shop and doing your own experiments.

Last edited by FredS on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:45 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:36 pm
I'm with Bob - the 'reverse' name has been applied because the cooling chamber is in the shank not the bowl. I've sketched some up but haven't got around to making any yet. One thing I've noticed on every RC pipe I've seen is that there's a bushing inserted in the briar mortise. I'm not sure why, but I suppose it's because the stummel (like all woods) changes size at different temperatures and relative humidity levels and a larger diameter mortise changes relatively more than a smaller mortise and the fit with the stem is loosened.

I agree with Joe that many reverse calabash's are ugly and that's what prompted me to tinker with the idea on paper. I'm a big fan of Vladimir Grechukhin and I think you could hide a cooling chamber nicely in some of his heavy-shanked designs. I don't know what sort of engineering principles - size/volume ratios in particular - should be applied to effectively cool the smoke. Of course anything is better than nothing, but a noticeably cooler smoke is the point of the whole exercise and I think it will take some experimenting to find out. I've looked around the net a bit and not found anything illumination. Then again, I often complain that the google machine has harmed the tinkerer because it's too easy to see what other folks have done instead of going to the shop and doing your own experiments.

That is interesting (I like the 1st and 3rd in the first graphic) but, if these are RC pipes, do you consider the Peterson System a RC?

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:56 pm

System pipes certainly work on the same principle of an expansion chamber that changes the velocity of the smoke stream so moisture can fall out. It's also like smoking a filter pipe sans filter. What I don't know though, is at what point we'd actually notice a cooler smoke. I have no idea if my doodlings would produce anything of significance, but surely there has to be a sweet spot between a corn c0B pipe with the filter removed and one of those Russian bumble bee pipes.

I wonder now, is there any reason we can't say that the Peterson system pipes were, in fact, reverse calabash pipes before anyone ever dreamed up the term. [snipped from Pipedia] the Peterson System smokes dry, cool and sweet, thanks to the scientific effectiveness of the original design. The heart of the System is the unique graduated bore in the mouthpiece. This makes the suction applied by the smoker 15 times weaker by the time it reaches the tobacco chamber. The result is that all the moisture flows into the reservoir and, thus cannot reach the smoker's mouth. [/snip]
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:56 pm
System pipes certainly work on the same principle of an expansion chamber that changes the velocity of the smoke stream so moisture can fall out. It's also like smoking a filter pipe sans filter. What I don't know though, is at what point we'd actually notice a cooler smoke. I have no idea if my doodlings would produce anything of significance, but surely there has to be a sweet spot between a corn c0B pipe with the filter removed and one of those Russian bumble bee pipes.

I wonder now, is there any reason we can't say that the Peterson system pipes were, in fact, reverse calabash pipes before anyone ever dreamed up the term. [snipped from Pipedia] the Peterson System smokes dry, cool and sweet, thanks to the scientific effectiveness of the original design. The heart of the System is the unique graduated bore in the mouthpiece. This makes the suction applied by the smoker 15 times weaker by the time it reaches the tobacco chamber. The result is that all the moisture flows into the reservoir and, thus cannot reach the smoker's mouth. [/snip]
Hmm... good points.

You know, some folks would smoke a calabash after packing the chamber with cotton balls to get the filter effect. I wonder how a RC would/should/could smoke with cotton balls or some other filter?

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:46 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm
FredS wrote:

Hmm... good points.

You know, some folks would smoke a calabash after packing the chamber with cotton balls to get the filter effect. I wonder how a RC would/should/could smoke with cotton balls or some other filter?
Hmm . . .I feel an experiment brewing here. I have rum and I'm sure Mrs FredS has some cotton balls around here someplace. Of course, I'm just one step away from a bong at that point.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Meh.

They've never particularly appealed to me. Don't know exactly why, but I'm guessing it's the proportions. That bloated stem.

But a large, hollow stummel with a bowl insert, on the other hand, seems to allow more traditional, flowing lines; therefore, a briar Calabash is another story. I love them.

I only have one, but I'd have a lot more if I could afford it. I think they're beautiful, and with a bowl made from a separate piece of briar (or some other wood) the aesthetic possibilities are endless. You can make them with interchangeable bowls and have a very impressive set.

Mine is an inexpensive HS Studio pipe:

A few others I admire:

Ser Jocopo

Il Duca

BriarWorks

Roman Kovalev
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:08 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:36 pm

I agree with Joe that many reverse calabash's are ugly and that's what prompted me to tinker with the idea on paper. I'm a big fan of Vladimir Grechukhin and I think you could hide a cooling chamber nicely in some of his heavy-shanked designs. I don't know what sort of engineering principles - size/volume ratios in particular - should be applied to effectively cool the smoke. Of course anything is better than nothing, but a noticeably cooler smoke is the point of the whole exercise and I think it will take some experimenting to find when/if that happens. I've looked around the net a bit and not found anything illuminating. Then again, I often complain that the google machine has harmed the tinkerer because it's too easy to see what other folks have done instead of going to the shop and doing your own experiments.

Dang Fred! Your drawings are art in and of themselves. I started thinking on this subject after doing an inspection on a 767 cooling pack system water separator. It works really well, just stand under the drain on a hot humid day. I had to use a mirror to peer around the corner of the duct just to see if the nose cap was still on the vanes, but from what I could see, it is no more than a bulge in a duct with four perpendicular guide vanes in the bulge.
I don't want to go backwards to the 70's where every brand had to claim that their science, engineering, or voodoo magic produced a cool, dry smoke. There must be a science to the cooling/drying chamber though. It's all about using Venturi's principal to it's fullest. I know I love my gourd calabash, especially the looks I get when I smoke it in the car.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 am

UncleBob wrote:
FredS wrote:

Hmm... good points.

I was recently reading about Tyrolean pipes. I can't remember why, but I was struck by how they reminded me of the system pipes. Some of them even have removable caps at the end of the shank extension to clear the condensed moisture.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:08 am
Dang Fred! Your drawings are art in and of themselves.
Thanks. Drawing lines and circles is what I'm paid for at my day job. Mostly on the computer, but once in a while I get to do some conceptual stuff with pencil and eraser. Lots of eraser.

When I was a boy I drew cars in class. That was my passion. Now it's more about pipes and fly fishing. I go through periods where all I can think about is pipes for a week or so and when I can't be in the shop making them (which is most of the time), I draw them.

Show us what you come up with if you decide to make some RC's.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:10 pm

It's odd how much of my real life fits the nooks at CPS. As I watched a video about Cancong Chen this evening I noticed a sketch on the wall of his studio showing a concept for a combo calabash/reverse calabash pipe. I didn't notice the actual pipe anywhere in the video, just the sketch. Kinda cool.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 am
UncleBob wrote:
FredS wrote:

Hmm... good points.

I was recently reading about Tyrolean pipes. I can't remember why, but I was struck by how they reminded me of the system pipes. Some of them even have removable caps at the end of the shank extension to clear the condensed moisture.
The moisture clearing during smoking is something I've pondered. The reverse calabash just needs enough storage space for the separated moisture. I had a bad habit early in my pipe smoking to blow moisture down into the bowl. It didn't really solve anything at all. The Tyrolean design would function very well if the cap and threads at the bottom of the cooling chamber were made of a stable material that wouldn't swell when wet so it could be unscrewed and blown out during smoking.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm

joegoat wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
FredS wrote:

Hmm... good points.

The moisture clearing during smoking is something I've pondered. The reverse calabash just needs enough storage space for the separated moisture. I had a bad habit early in my pipe smoking to blow moisture down into the bowl. It didn't really solve anything at all. The Tyrolean design would function very well if the cap and threads at the bottom of the cooling chamber were made of a stable material that wouldn't swell when wet so it could be unscrewed and blown out during smoking.
How about a tapered, friction fit chunk of ebonite like a cork? No screwing around.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm
joegoat wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
FredS wrote:

Hmm... good points.

How about a tapered, friction fit chunk of ebonite like a cork? No screwing around.
It could work. A ferrule would then be needed for strength. Six of one half a dozen of the other.