If you were going to have the mortise and draught hole drilled....

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
arank87
Congregation
Congregation

If you were going to have the mortise and draught hole drilled....

Post by arank87 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Where would you send it? Am I opening a big can of worms here? I'm interested in having a pipe opened up a-la Rick Newcombe.
Alex "You can call me, Al" Rank

Munkey
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Re: If you were going to have the mortise and draught hole drilled....

Post by Munkey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 pm

You're asking the wrong question. Exhibit A:
arank87 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:25 pm
I hope to one day try my hand at making pipes.
Welcome to the start of your journey. Just to make sure I'm not committing malpractice here, what is the pipe in question? Do you have a picture?

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Well just the fact that you feel the need to ask gives me reason to pause...this may not be the answer to my problems. The pipe is a Stanwell 217. It has a slight whistle on the draw when empty and I was wondering if opening it would make it smoke better. I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself and should just try to learn to be a better smoker before spending money having a pipe altered. I tend to get ahead of myself anyway.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Try your hand at it, just go easy. I've opened up many pipes with a drill bit turned with only my fingers.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Munkey wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 pm
arank87 wrote:
Welcome to the start of your journey. Just to make sure I'm not committing malpractice here, what is the pipe in question? Do you have a picture?
So after thinking about your comment I realized I may have misread it. Are you suggesting I do it myself? I'm considering getting a Bruyere St. Claude small Canadian or billiard because I often don't have a lot of time to smoke. That being said I've read they may be a little restricted but at $35 they could be a good pipe to try on. What tool/s would you use to do it? Would you use something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M35LDZ/re ... rd_w=FUnjx ? Or a gimlet maybe?

Munkey
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post by Munkey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 pm

arank87 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:42 pm
Munkey wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 pm
arank87 wrote:
So after thinking about your comment I realized I may have misread it. Are you suggesting I do it myself? I'm considering getting a Bruyere St. Claude small Canadian or billiard because I often don't have a lot of time to smoke. That being said I've read they may be a little restricted but at $35 they could be a good pipe to try on. What tool/s would you use to do it? Would you use something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M35LDZ/re ... rd_w=FUnjx ? Or a gimlet maybe?
Yeah, this kind of a modification is a good learning experience toward pipe making.

What's your current DIY situation - do you have a drill press or a cordless drill or something? Do you have drill bit set, including a 5/32" bit? Heat gun, by chance?

Don't rush into taking your drill to your stem until we talk this out a little bit further (you'll want to straighten the stem), but drilling out the draught hole in the stummel is pretty easy. The key thing there is to make sure you've got a good grip on everything when the bit catches, and make sure you stop just as the bit enters the chamber so you don't damage the opposite side of the bowl, or worst case drill a hole through the front of your pipe. If you have a drill bit set, you can slowly work your way up in size until you get to 5/32" as you get a feel for things with less risk of disaster.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue May 01, 2018 8:01 am

Chances are, the whistle is coming from a restricted airway in the stem the last 3/4" at the bit end. That's not a fix most can do themselves because it takes special tools. You'll need a slot saw, a 1/16" diamond file, a tapered flat micro file, red tripoli buffing compound, a heat gun, and a mold to make sure you get the bend back the same. If you want to send it to me, I'd be glad to fix it for the cost of shipping. It would take me about 15 minutes to straighten the stem, open it up, polish the airway, then rebend the stem. I'm a Stanwell guy for my everyday smokers and I do this to all of my Stanwells. The newer Italian made ones are worse than the older Danish made ones but it's a simple fix and I have all the tools.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue May 01, 2018 8:17 am

arank87

Welcome to CPS. You should for sure hook up with SlowToke and accept his very generous offer. Wayne is a Pipe Master. If he imparts some of his magic on your pipe, it will be the better for it.

Scott
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:46 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:01 am
Chances are, the whistle is coming from a restricted airway in the stem the last 3/4" at the bit end. That's not a fix most can do themselves because it takes special tools. You'll need a slot saw, a 1/16" diamond file, a tapered flat micro file, red tripoli buffing compound, a heat gun, and a mold to make sure you get the bend back the same. If you want to send it to me, I'd be glad to fix it for the cost of shipping. It would take me about 15 minutes to straighten the stem, open it up, polish the airway, then rebend the stem. I'm a Stanwell guy for my everyday smokers and I do this to all of my Stanwells. The newer Italian made ones are worse than the older Danish made ones but it's a simple fix and I have all the tools.
Wayne, thank you very much for your offer! I would be most grateful for your help! Please let me know how I can send it to you and I will get it in the mail straightaway.