P-lip or Fishtail?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Re: P-lip or Fishtail?

Post by Joshoowah » Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 pm

I've got one P-lip, and it's an old one so it's a little different than the modern ones. It's easy to clean and I can tell no difference, really, between it and my other pipes. I doubt I'll get another either way.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 pm
I've got one P-lip, and it's an old one so it's a little different than the modern ones. It's easy to clean and I can tell no difference, really, between it and my other pipes. I doubt I'll get another either way.
I bought a Peterson on line with bad pics (have scored some great stuff that way), it came in with a P-Lip....I tried it for a while but didn't care for how it fit my teeth in a clinch so I sold it. Most likely won't buy another.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Right now, as of this time and date, there are a few P-lip Peterson Systems for sale under $100:

$65

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/esta ... _id=255034
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Thu May 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Works pretty good if you have dentures. Otherwise, I don't think it makes that much of a difference.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 pm

I decided I’m going to hold off. I have a bad case of PAD and need to learn to be content. I have three pipes that I think are really cool and I’m going to spend a few months getting to know them.
"You can call me, Al" - Me

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am

I have never had a P-lip because I think they look phallic, so I can't tell you anything about the merits or demerits of how they function. I just don't want to put one in my mouth based on how they look. That's my personal take on them.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:18 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am
I have never had a P-lip because I think they look phallic, so I can't tell you anything about the merits or demerits of how they function. I just don't want to put one in my mouth based on how they look. That's my personal take on them.
Well that just happened.
"You can call me, Al" - Me

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am

arank87 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Well that just happened.
Just calling it like I see it. :wink:

I'll admit that the look of a pipe is really important to me. If I don't like the way a pipe looks, regardless of how it functions, I most likely would never smoke it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 pm

The P-lip is crap, unless you like the roof of your mouth and upper gums scorched.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat May 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 pm
The P-lip is crap, unless you like the roof of your mouth and upper gums scorched.
I've told you already. Middleton Cherry in a P-Lip is Bakkytown's version of stuffing a lit acetylene welding torch in yer yap.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

driftedshank
Congregation
Congregation

Post by driftedshank » Sun May 27, 2018 12:59 pm

A P-lip can work nicely as long as the draw is open. I've experienced P-lips that were tight, perhaps by design, which contributed to some awful smokes. Combine a tight P-lip with a draft hole that's drilled high ( not unusual for Petersons) and you have a prescription for disaster.

Opening up a P-lip is not easy, I would think. Much easier to do with a fishtail stem.

Fred S - I miss Rusty too. He certainly knew beans from borscht when it came to pipes, tobaccos and much more. He had several Pete systems including a huge bent house pipe. All had P-lips if I'm not mistaken. Would have liked Rusty to weigh in on this.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sun May 27, 2018 10:44 pm

I have p-lip pipes I adore and some that I merely find neutral, no better nor worse than a fishtail. With some, like my XL90 and my 80s, i find that little extra bend makes it a little more difficult to run a pipe cleaner through them.

In the end, you just have to try one. If I'm not mistaken, if it turns out you just hate p-lips, with a system pipe, you can get a replacement stem at a reasonable price, so to my mind, your only real risk is the price of a stem.

I like my Petersons. My 306 smokes as well as anything else I own, including the Upshall and the Tilsheads, despite a more restricted draw. I have no idea why this should be so, but it is.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am
arank87 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:18 am
Cleon wrote:
Well that just happened.
Just calling it like I see it. :wink:

I'll admit that the look of a pipe is really important to me. If I don't like the way a pipe looks, regardless of how it functions, I most likely would never smoke it.
Someone had to say it.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa