Nording Freehand issue - Need some opinions...

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Nording Freehand issue - Need some opinions...

Post by Adam Z » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:52 am

Anybody here have any experience buying (and returning) pipes purchased from TobaccoPipes.com? I had a bunch of Amazon credit and I ordered this beautiful Nording Freehand (sold by TobaccoPipes via Amazon), but I'm very disappointed with what I received. I didn't think that rustication was supposed to include cracks in the shank. These cracks actually extend into the shank/mortise. This was not apparent to me in the photos. I'm concerned about how this may effect the pipe over time - particularly the fit of the tenon into the mortise. I don't think I would have bought this had I seen it in person - looks like something they shouldn't have been selling, IMO.

The packaging is fantastic, so I can't attribute this to poor S&H.

Am I being paranoid and making a bigger deal of this than it is? Should I just smoke it, or am I right to want to return it? This is my 4th briar pipe, and only the 2nd that I've bought online, so I'm not highly experienced at this.

Thoughts?

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: Nording Freehand issue - Need some opinions...

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Seems like shenanigans to me. But, I do take medication to make sure I don't stab random people in the head with a Taco Bell spork. 26 months, 18 days without an "incident" so, there's that.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Yeah, I'd return the pipe. They shouldn't balk at that at all.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Never saw anything like that on a new pipe before. At least if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing. A little surprised Nording let it out the door. I would be asking for an exchange. I've a Nording that's one of my favorites.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:22 pm

The only issue I see here is that that's an ugly pipe.

Contact the seller. They'll most likely take it back. Easy peasy.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 am

FredS wrote:The only issue I see here is that that's an ugly pipe.
Beauty is subjective, and I LOVE the look of the pipe, which makes it all the more disappointing that I have to return it, as it's a unique piece. No option for a swap that is virtually identical as would be the case with other factory pipes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Steve S
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Steve S » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm

So what happened with this pipe? Did you end up returning it or just smoking it?

From what I can see, there were obvious flaws pretty deep in the briar from the start. It looks like maybe they used a fill in the cracks? Depending on what you use for fill, cracks can be stabilized pretty effectively, but that still should have been disclosed from the start. It's a pity, as that's a really cool looking pipe. But with a flaw like that, it should have been sold at a deep discount as a "second," if at all.

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:29 pm

I ended up returning it to the seller, then I bought a Savinelli Oceano 311 (poker) instead. I still really want a danish freehand, but it has to be the right one - not just any will do.

I don't think that particular pipe should have been sold.

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 pm

As a Newbie I bought a freehand Nørding pipe. I remember it was $75.00 back in 2003 or so. It was a really nice pipe and I was quite proud of it's freehand shape and colour.

In any case, it too, had a crack in the shank right where the stem fits into the mortise. I was disappointed by it, but didn't know enough about pipes. I was able to smoke the pipe and stuff, but it remained on the back burner with my other pipes out front.

Sorry to hear of your pipes exhibiting the same issue.

joshbowyer
Congregation
Congregation

Post by joshbowyer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:29 pm
I ended up returning it to the seller, then I bought a Savinelli Oceano 311 (poker) instead. I still really want a danish freehand, but it has to be the right one - not just any will do.

I don't think that particular pipe should have been sold.

Found this via search, I just ordered an Oceano today (626 though). How do you like it? Also, is the stem "transparent"? I have an acrylic stem with whorls on my meerschaum and it's transparent, as in if you dropped dye into water and could see the dye *through* the water. I'm really hoping the Oceano is the same so it can be a twin to my meer :)

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:33 am

joshbowyer wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Found this via search, I just ordered an Oceano today (626 though). How do you like it? Also, is the stem "transparent"? I have an acrylic stem with whorls on my meerschaum and it's transparent, as in if you dropped dye into water and could see the dye *through* the water. I'm really hoping the Oceano is the same so it can be a twin to my meer :)
The stem on an Oceano series pipe is not at all transparent, but I do think it is quite pretty nonetheless.