Leaky pipe?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Leaky pipe?

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 am

Ever have a pipe that sweats/condensates where the stem meets the mortise? I've got a Savinelli 601 (bent billiard) churchwarden that's doing this. What causes this to occur? Generally speaking, the pipe smokes fine - I just notice a small amount of moisture on the underside of the shank sometimes while smoking it. The liquid smells like soy sauce - regardless of what blend I'm smoking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: Leaky pipe?

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 am

Does the pipe take a filter? Are you smoking it without the filter and without the insert?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:02 am

John-Boy wrote:Does the pipe take a filter? Are you smoking it without the filter and without the insert?
Yeah, it accepts a 6mm filter. I am smoking it without a filter. What is this insert you speak of that I am apparently lacking?

EDIT: Wait... maybe it doesn't take the filter. I just looked it up online. No mention of a filter in the product description at tobaccopipes: https://www.tobaccopipes.com/savinelli- ... acco-pipe/

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am

They're plastic tubes that you put in the pipe instead of the filter. It fills up all that extra air space and cuts down on moisture build up.

Some pipes just smoke wet. That may be what's happening combined with no filter insert and you're getting a big moisture build up.
Praying - coco
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:29 am

Yup the site says no filter. That would also have been my first guess. Is the moister sticky or gooey at all?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:31 am

Adam Z wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:02 am
EDIT: Wait... maybe it doesn't take the filter. I just looked it up online. No mention of a filter in the product description at tobaccopipes: https://www.tobaccopipes.com/savinelli- ... acco-pipe/
Take the stem out, look, and report back. Post a picture for our entertainment as well.
Praying - coco

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:36 am

Bloodhound wrote:Yup the site says no filter. That would also have been my first guess. Is the moister sticky or gooey at all?
Not gooey/sticky at all. It's just a thin, clear liquid. It isn't dripping off the pipe or anything. I only notice it when my fingers/hand come into contact with it while smoking. The fit of the stem to the mortise is neither tight nor loose. I can remove the stem with ease (much more than with my other two briars) but the bowl isn't freely spinning as I smoke the pipe either. It's a relatively new pipe that I bought at the beginning of April - I've logged 18 bowls in it thus far.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 am

Are you eating anything sticky while smoking this particular pipe?
Praying - coco

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 am

I've had that happen in a non-filtered pipe before. It was from a slightly loose stem and stopped after a few smokes. Eventually the wood swells or the joint gets a little pipe gunk in it and it stops.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:47 am

Are you taking the stem out while smoking the pipe?
Praying - coco

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 am

It's a churchwarden. That means there is a LOT of cool stem for steam to condense and run back down.

And you say that the fitting is not extremely tight. So some of that condensation will work its way out through the joint.

As previously noted -- Some pipes just smoke wet. This sounds like one.

You did not mention what you are smoking in it. An aromatic blend with some propylene glycol will condense a lot more than a purer tobacco (e.g., a virginia or va/per blend).
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am

I don't have the pipe with me at the office, but as many times as I've taken it apart to clean it I can attest that there is no filter in it and no other adapter. I had first assumed that it accepted the 6mm filter because the opening on the stem *appears* to be large enough to accept it, even if it isn't advertised as such - I don't have any filters though, so I've never tried it & can't verify. It matches the pictures at Tobaccopipes that I linked to. It has 601 churchwarden stamped on the bottom of it. I'm certain that this is the same pipe. Sorry none of the pics I might post of it will do much to entertain.

I'm not eating while smoking either.

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 am

I might have smoked an aromatic in it once or twice, but I've smoked all kinds of blends in it - Haunted Bookshop (burley), Luxury Bullseye Flake (VaPer), several bowls of Presbyterian - probably more than anything else. Last night it was Star of the East flake I smoked in it. That's a pretty wide swath of blend styles.

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am

John-Boy wrote:Are you taking the stem out while smoking the pipe?
Good heavens - no. I am a novice, but I know better than to do that. I understand it's a normal question to ask though.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:44 am

Let's clarify - As I read your comments, you seem to be saying the moisture is on the outside of the pipe, correct?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:48 am

Sounds like Del and Jim have it nailed down. Between the looser fit and the long stem and condensation. I am bettin' Jim is right, that it will tighten up and cease to have this problem with use.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:53 am

FredS wrote:Let's clarify - As I read your comments, you seem to be saying the moisture is on the outside of the pipe, correct?
Yes. Proceeding from where the stem and mortise meet.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:53 am
FredS wrote:Let's clarify - As I read your comments, you seem to be saying the moisture is on the outside of the pipe, correct?
Yes. Proceeding from where the stem and mortise meet.

This is odd. I wonder if there's a crack in the shank. Moisture inside the mortise and tenon joint is an unfortunately common occurrence. But for that moisture to migrate out of the joint in an amount sufficient enough to bead up is something new. I think it unlikely that the moisture that's formed in the bottom of the mortise and tenon joint is working it's way up and out of the shoulder where the stem meets the shank. Get a magnifying glass and check for cracks, especially a crack that opens up a bit when the stem is in place.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Will do. Thanks.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm

I agree with FredS. Something is wicking the moisture up the mortise wall and out to the surface. Sounds like a hairline crack. That being said, I do have a Savinelli that "sweats" on the outside of the bowl sometimes. It's not enough to bead but enough to feel the moisture on my hands. Very odd. It's a great pipe though.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne