Some Great Methods To Restore Vulcanite

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Some Great Methods To Restore Vulcanite

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm

This guy has some great tips for restoring badly oxidized vulcanite stems....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpV2l4FADuM
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Steve S
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Some Great Methods To Restore Vulcanite

Post by Steve S » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks for posting that! I was just given a bunch of old pipes in relatively good condition, and I'm eventually going to restore most of them, but I've been putting off doing the research on this kind of thing.

I do wonder if charcoal mixed with epoxy would work to rebuild stems and/or fill in gaps. Might have to do some experimentation of my own...

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Steve S wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm
Thanks for posting that! I was just given a bunch of old pipes in relatively good condition, and I'm eventually going to restore most of them, but I've been putting off doing the research on this kind of thing.

I do wonder if charcoal mixed with epoxy would work to rebuild stems and/or fill in gaps. Might have to do some experimentation of my own...
If a stem has that bad of wear I think a replacement at $30 is a better option
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:46 pm

I'll watch the video in the bit, but I've had good luck with bar keepers friend. I also remember watching a video about how putting a small layer of carmex or chapstick after a smoke will help keep the stem in good shape. I've been doing this and have found it to be true.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 am

ryland wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:46 pm
I'll watch the video in the bit, but I've had good luck with bar keepers friend. I also remember watching a video about how putting a small layer of carmex or chapstick after a smoke will help keep the stem in good shape. I've been doing this and have found it to be true.
Obsidian Oil works well to maintain gloss on vulcanite. Just a tiny drop on a toothpick does the trick

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:06 am

Interesting but to me a little counter-intuitive considering when dissolved in water Oxi-clean generates hydrogen peroxide (an oxidizing agent). Wonder if warm peroxide would work just as well or the additional detergents in oxi-clean work some mojo.

I've always wanted to experiment with Rit Color Remover (a strong reducing agent) to see if I can reverse the oxidation on the stems. Just never seem to have time to try. I always just used brass polish and a buffing wheel to clean old stems from estate pipes.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III