Kiribi (Savinelli) Pipe Lighters? Any good?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Kiribi (Savinelli) Pipe Lighters? Any good?

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 am

Anyone use a Kiribi (Savinelli) Pipe Lighter? I'm in the market for a lighter and heard the Savinelli is a good one.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessorie ... _id=141098
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Re: Kiribi (Savinelli) Pipe Lighters? Any good?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 am
Anyone use a Kiribi (Savinelli) Pipe Lighter? I'm in the market for a lighter and heard the Savinelli is a good one.

Maybe you ought to look for a Savinelli, then?
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 am
Goose55 wrote:

Chatted with a guy from SPs who said they didn't have Savinelli lighters, but that Kiribi was made for Savinelli.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:00 am

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I have been a dad too long. When I saw this post, I saw this:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:14 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Chatted with a guy from SPs who said they didn't have Savinelli lighters, but that Kiribi was made for Savinelli.
Could be, but I doubt it. No mention of them at all on Savinelli's site, but they still seem to be vending the IM Corona line. Maybe made in same japanese factory.

Now that you're a gilded aristocrat, though, I must recommend the Dupont Ligne 2. Once you get the aftermarket adapter thingy, they're foolproof.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:14 am
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Could be, but I doubt it. No mention of them at all on Savinelli's site, but they still seem to be vending the IM Corona line. Maybe made in same japanese factory.

Now that you're a gilded aristocrat, though, I must recommend the Dupont Ligne 2. Once you get the aftermarket adapter thingy, they're foolproof.
Probably one of the best lighters, I presume, but too rich for my blood.

JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Post by JMG » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am

I have/had one for years and can say enough good about it. I LOVED that lighter. Unfortunately, as of about two months ago I have not been able to find it. I'm mourning it's loss. I had this one specifically: https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessorie ... _id=141094

Over time some of the gun metal black began to wear off, but in the best of patina sort of way. I had some really nice heft to it. It became a sort of talisman for me that I always carried in my pocket. I'm still holding out hope that I will be able to find it.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm

JMG wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am
I have/had one for years and can say enough good about it. I LOVED that lighter. Unfortunately, as of about two months ago I have not been able to find it. I'm mourning it's loss. I had this one specifically: https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessorie ... _id=141094

Over time some of the gun metal black began to wear off, but in the best of patina sort of way. I had some really nice heft to it. It became a sort of talisman for me that I always carried in my pocket. I'm still holding out hope that I will be able to find it.
I hope you find it, and soon. Your report confirms what I've been reading about the reliability and workmanship of the lighter. I went ahead and ordered one like yours, except the slightly shorter one.

JMG

Post by JMG » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm
JMG wrote:

I hope you find it, and soon. Your report confirms what I've been reading about the reliability and workmanship of the lighter. I went ahead and ordered one like yours, except the slightly shorter one.
Huzzah! Found it about 15 minutes after writing that previous post about losing it. It as in one of the pockets of my shop apron.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 pm

JMG wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:17 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm
JMG wrote:

Huzzah! Found it about 15 minutes after writing that previous post about losing it. It as in one of the pockets of my shop apron.

Looks like a real workhorse of a lighter, which is a good sign.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:06 pm

I'm happy with my purchase if this lighter. The reviews and what other CPSers have said about it confirms I made a smart buy

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:16 pm

I've wanted one of these for quite a while. Must resist. Or one of y'all message my wife for a Xmas present hint

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JMG

Post by JMG » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:29 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:16 pm
I've wanted one of these for quite a while. Must resist. Or one of y'all message my wife for a Xmas present hint

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I could send a FB message if you like.

smokadoro
Congregation
Congregation

Post by smokadoro » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:05 pm

I bought this one last summer:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessorie ... _id=141086

Initially was about to get one of the Kiribi styles that has the wing in the back, but read some reviews saying it gets in the way if you carry yours in the smaller pocket in jeans. That's where I carry mine, so I ordered this style instead. I did not want any integrated tools, just a large capacity tank. This model fits the bill perfectly for me.

I absolutely LOVE the double gas outlets. It yields an ideal flame. Easy to refill. No issues with scratches at all (then again, I do keep it in a pocket by itself).

Unfortunately I've somehow managed to bend the flint wheel slightly, so even with a new flint it's not lighting on every strike. Then I lost it for a few days last month, ended up ordering an IM Corona Old Boy because word on the street is those things last forever. Found the Kiribi two days after the Old Boy arrived. The Old Boy lights every time but has just one gas outlet (as almost all other lighters do). As long as I can get the Kiribi to light I prefer its flame over the Old Boy. But if the Old Boy is going to earn a nickname of Old Reliable for me, that definitely counts for something too.

Will send the Kiribi in for repair here soon and get used to the Old Boy for a while.

Was not aware of any association between Kiribi and Savinelli until I read this post.
Do not say "I agree," "I disagree" or "I suspend judgment" until you can say "I understand." ~Mortimer Adler