Building Cake In My New JoeGoat Pipe

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Building Cake In My New JoeGoat Pipe

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 am

I've been using a technique I learned from pipe expert Tim West, to hasten the building of cake. This is not easy for me because I'm a chugger. The tobacco tastes so good, I want to stoke away. But, I am being very patient. Here is how I am approaching this task, to protect the briar. First off, I dampened the chamber in the brand new pipe with a little water, then put a thin coat of grape jelly inside the bowl, and let it dry a couple few days. I then have been filling the pipe all the way, lighting it well, and letting it go out. Then tamping only the center and relighting. Marvelously, after relighting I see a ring of embers right next to the briar. This, I believe is assisting in building cake more rapidly than if I just smoked the entire bowl. It is also helping me to keep the pipe cool during this process. Tamp only the center. Light well. Let go out. Rinse and repeat all the way down the bowl.

Ultimately, I'd like to build and keep cake to about the width of a dime, and because it's a 1-inch diameter chamber, i'll still have 7/8th.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Building Cake In My New JoeGoat Pipe

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 pm

I’m just glad you aren’t showing pictures of your cake.

I just gently smoke a new pipe until a cake forms. Pipe tobacco should be smoked slowly anyway. I generally use an easy-to-smoke cool tobacco too.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:18 pm

I think you'll find that just smoking the pipe will do it. I've had plenty of new pipes with uncoated bowls that I've just loaded with whatever I felt like at the time and smoked it. If you smoke it multiple times a day for multiple days in a row the cake will build pretty fast. That's what old timers that didn't collect pipes did.

I've never had a burn out and never thought to add extra substances to help build cake. Tobacco, fire, and air should do it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm
This.

Goose, you gravitate towards the unconventional!

Just smoke the dang pipe and a wonderful cake will appear, just like in all of your other briars!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm
UncleBob wrote:
This.

Just smoke the dang pipe and a wonderful cake will appear, just like in all of your other briars!
Grape jelly is for making samwiches. If you grab a nice burley and smoke it slow or some of the G&H flake you like, I'll bet you get a nice layer of cake in no time.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:39 pm

We all forget what our late, dearly departed Rusty maintained, from decades of experience with the pipe. That it is where a pipe is lit, & re-lit, that most cake forms. And from my own experience of preferring tobacco to be on the dry side, I can attest to this. Most of my bowls are lit once, and most of my cake forms at the top. But I wish to build cake evenly in JOey's precious briar.

Thank you very much.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:07 pm

UncleBob wrote:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Over the years I’ve heard and read any number of techniques for building cake in a new pipe. For my first pipe, I coated the bowl with maple syrup.

Once, I filled the bowl with water, poured it out, then sugar and shook out the excess, waited for the sugar coating to dry and smoked it.

Both techniques, recommended by an “expert.”

Now, I just smoke them and let them build cake in their own good time.

Do whatever seems best for you, Goose. As I’ve said before, we ain’t scientists. We’re hobbyists.
I think it’s pretty hard to screw up the process, and in any event it’s no big deal to even out an uneven cake.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:36 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm
Over the years I’ve heard and read any number of techniques for building cake in a new pipe. For my first pipe, I coated the bowl with maple syrup.

Once, I filled the bowl with water, poured it out, then sugar and shook out the excess, waited for the sugar coating to dry and smoked it.

Do whatever seems best for you, Goose. As I’ve said before, we ain’t scientists. We’re hobbyists.
I think it’s pretty hard to screw up the process, and in any event it’s no big deal to even out an uneven cake.
Yes, but raw briar is very susceptible to burn out and so-called "heat cracks," which are nothing less than charred wood. This pipe is precious to me, so thank you for realizing it's best for me to do what I can only know from experience, is best.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:36 pm
durangopipe wrote:

Yes, but raw briar is very susceptible to burn out and so-called "heat cracks," which are nothing less than charred wood. This pipe is precious to me, so thank you for realizing it's best for me to do what I can only know from experience, is best.
I totally understand, Goose.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:36 pm

durangopipe wrote:

Yes. We arent saving lives, gentlemen. Just dont use a torch
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:51 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:36 pm
durangopipe wrote:

Yes. We arent saving lives, gentlemen. Just dont use a torch
Yes. I steered clear of torch lighters early on.

I'm very pleased with how the cake is building in my new JOeGOat pipe.

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:07 pm
UncleBob wrote:
:rotfl:
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Over the years I’ve heard and read any number of techniques for building cake in a new pipe. For my first pipe, I coated the bowl with maple syrup. What year was this? In the early 1980's I heard of pipers doing this with but, with honey. What did you think of the bowl after the caramelization?

Once, I filled the bowl with water, poured it out, then sugar and shook out the excess, waited for the sugar coating to dry and smoked it. What in the hell was wrong with you?

Both techniques, recommended by an “expert.” I have NEVER recommended these methods.

Now, I just smoke them and let them build cake in their own good time. Very, very glad you have regained your sanity.

Do whatever seems best for you, Goose. As I’ve said before, we ain’t scientists. We’re hobbyists. I'm not comfortable with this moniker.

I think it’s pretty hard to screw up the process, and in any event it’s no big deal to even out an uneven cake. Who are you???
Forget the cake.

it's now:

PIE
DL Jake

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:07 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Over the years I’ve heard and read any number of techniques for building cake in a new pipe. For my first pipe, I coated the bowl with maple syrup. What year was this? In the early 1980's I heard of pipers doing this with but, with honey. What did you think of the bowl after the caramelization?

Once, I filled the bowl with water, poured it out, then sugar and shook out the excess, waited for the sugar coating to dry and smoked it. What in the hell was wrong with you?

Both techniques, recommended by an “expert.” I have NEVER recommended these methods.

Now, I just smoke them and let them build cake in their own good time. Very, very glad you have regained your sanity.

Do whatever seems best for you, Goose. As I’ve said before, we ain’t scientists. We’re hobbyists. I'm not comfortable with this moniker.

I think it’s pretty hard to screw up the process, and in any event it’s no big deal to even out an uneven cake. Who are you???
Forget the cake.

it's now:

PIE
:pipe3:

1) Don’t remember the year. Might have been sometime in the early 90s (I was already an old guy when my son gave me my first pipe). In all honesty, I don’t think it accomplished a damn thing other than make a bit more of a mess of things.

2) I made the mistake of reading a pipe book. The author recommended it. Don’t remember the name. I take anything written by a pipe “expert” with a grain of salt now, not sugar.

This pipe thing is a conversation. Very little canonical wisdom coming from on high. That includes Rusty. His contributions to the conversation were usually very well informed. But certainly not Gospel. He was, in addition to his other qualities, often quite idiosyncratic.

Pipes develop cake. You can get there a thousand different ways. If something has worked for you, and you write a book about it, a thousand, okay the dozen people who buy your book, might draw the conclusion it’s the best or the only way.

Some guy writes, “I believe that smoking Esoterica in a refrigerator-cooled pipe packed with the spiral-on-the-palm technique and lit only with a wooden kitchen match and puffed at a pace of one half puff every 15 seconds (and relit as necessary) is the only way to properly build cake.”

What the hell. It worked for him. He isn’t lying. Suddenly, there are guys with a drawer full of wooden kitchen matches and a frige full of pipes they are waiting to break in until they can score a bag of Esoterica.

The one thing I know a little about is fly fishing. When I read “How to” books by “experts” about fly fishing they almost always appear to me to be filled with bad information, or more likely, information that is accurate for the place, fish, environment bugs ... the author is familiar with, but the information is not perfectly generalizable - which is the way it’s often presented.

Anyway, you’d think I’d have transferred this understanding of “experts” to pipe books before the wet sugar event. Well, eventually I did.

3) As with all who belong to small enthusiast groups, among friends you are entitled to a moniker of your choosing, DL. Actually, hobbyist isn’t my favorite either. Neither is pipe enthusiast. I prefer the term pipe aficionado, but most who know about part of me use the term “pipe nut.”

We have a preliminary, anticipatory, seasonally appropriate pumpkin pie on the kitchen counter - about to be eaten.
Last edited by durangopipe on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Goose ...

Something to think about:

Any technique that builds cake rapidly (like maple syrup, sugar coating, or grape jelly) risks building an initial layer of soft cake that jeopardizes the integrity of the additional, slow-built cake that develops on top of it from regular smoking.

Since we’re having the “cake” conversation, I’d love to hear others’ experiences/thoughts regarding this.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Goose ...

Something to think about:

Any technique that builds cake rapidly (like maple syrup, sugar coating, or grape jelly) risks building an initial layer of soft cake that jeopardizes the integrity of the additional, slow-built cake that develops on top of it from regular smoking.

Since we’re having the “cake” conversation, I’d love to hear others’ experiences/thoughts regarding this.
I've heard it and I dont know if I buy it or not. Cake does not seem, in my experience, to be rock hard anyway. I decided a few years ago to experiment and try to cake a pipe shut like those old clunkers we've all seen. Well, I've never quite gotten there. Pieces just seem to fall off every once in a while. Big pieces. Ream and try again. Best I can do is a quarter inch thick before they start to splinter.

Now, no pipe of mine has ever been buttered, jellied, slathered in marmalade or dipped in honey/bathed in maple syrup. Might help the cake stick better for all I know.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 pm

durangopipe wrote: Some guy writes, “I believe that smoking Esoterica in a refrigerator-cooled pipe packed with the spiral-on-the-palm technique and lit only with a wooden kitchen match and puffed at a pace of one half puff every 15 seconds (and relit as necessary) is the only way to properly build cake.” Instant CPS Classic.

We have a preliminary, anticipatory, seasonally appropriate pumpkin pie on the kitchen counter - about to be eaten. God bless your little heart.
DL Jake

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:07 pm
UncleBob wrote: