Building Cake In My New JoeGoat Pipe

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Building Cake In My New JoeGoat Pipe

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:07 pm

I coat the bowl in chili. Do not add beans as it interferes with carbonization.

It's true. Science.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:16 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:07 pm
I coat the bowl in chili. Do not add beans as it interferes with carbonization.

It's true. Science.
ONE WORD:

Post of the month.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Goose ...

Something to think about:

Any technique that builds cake rapidly (like maple syrup, sugar coating, or grape jelly) risks building an initial layer of soft cake that jeopardizes the integrity of the additional, slow-built cake that develops on top of it from regular smoking.

Since we’re having the “cake” conversation, I’d love to hear others’ experiences/thoughts regarding this.
Aromatics will create a soft, gooey cake. Since I smoke almost always Virginias, what you mentioned shouldn't be a problem. The coat of grape jelly was very very thin and soon carbonized by the heat of the burning "ring of fire" that tamping only the center created.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:41 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 am
Aromatics will create a soft, gooey cake.
This hasn't been my experience.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:41 am
Goose55 wrote:
Would you mind sharing your experience for Goose to ignore? I mean, it hasn’t been mine, either, but I feel if we teamed up on this one, he would have to work harder to ignore both of us than he would have had to to ignore us individually. I’ll start.

Horsefeathers, Goose ol’ buddy, and you know it. If you have to use a reamer, it ain’t soft, and if you’ve seen gooey cake, it’s because you shoved a cream-filled donut in there to aid in the break in process.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:10 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 am
JimVH wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Would you mind sharing your experience for Goose to ignore? I mean, it hasn’t been mine, either, but I feel if we teamed up on this one, he would have to work harder to ignore both of us than he would have had to to ignore us individually. I’ll start.

Horsefeathers, Goose ol’ buddy, and you know it. If you have to use a reamer, it ain’t soft, and if you’ve seen gooey cake, it’s because you shoved a cream-filled donut in there to aid in the break in process.
When I speak of aromatics, I mean the Captain Black kind. Cake from smoking Captain Black is soft, unless maybe it is left in a pipe undisturbed for months.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 am

JimVH wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
This hasn't been mine either.

I used to buy,refurbish, and resell lots and lots of estate pipes. Old timer pipes. By far, the hardest cakes were on the ones that were obviously used to smoke an aromatic of some sort. Some of them were as hard as, say 2B pencil lead, IMO. I also think that the slower a pipe is smoked the harder the cake will be, especially if it builds up in thin layers at at time. The pipes that had flakey cake seemed to be used for mixtures.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 am

Goose55 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Goose ...

Something to think about:

Any technique that builds cake rapidly (like maple syrup, sugar coating, or grape jelly) risks building an initial layer of soft cake that jeopardizes the integrity of the additional, slow-built cake that develops on top of it from regular smoking.

Since we’re having the “cake” conversation, I’d love to hear others’ experiences/thoughts regarding this.
Aromatics will create a soft, gooey cake. Since I smoke almost always Virginias, what you mentioned shouldn't be a problem. The coat of grape jelly was very very thin and soon carbonized by the heat of the burning "ring of fire" that tamping only the center created.
Very good, Goose.

I'm glad to learn that this approach is working well. I know how much this pipe means to you. You’ve been wise enough to acquire for yourself a few very special pipes, all of which you smoke regularly.

(The rest you’ve turned into a wonderful business that feeds both your love of pipes, pipe restoration and provides some income.)

I went through a several years period of very rapid pipe acquisition (embarrassingly documented here!) that only ended about a year ago. Several of those pipes were pretty expensive, all are pipes I rather like for one reason or another. But a good half of them have yet to be smoked enough to be considered fully broken in.

Before that, I’d managed somehow to survive with but two decades-old pipes. One in my tackle bag and one at home, both of which I’d long since stopped worrying about and simply maintained with a lovely, thin, hard cake.

And now that I’ll be bringing home the 8 or so I’ve kept and smoked at work, I face the Herculean task of properly breaking in all of those near virgin pipes when there are many already broken in that I enjoy smoking.

Sometimes, that cabinet, those desktops littered with pipes ask me, “Why?”

And the quite ordinary and inexpensive old Jobey billiard that smokes wonderfully, the older Comoy’s bulldog that started it all accuse me of promiscuity and unfaithfulness.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 am

And the quite ordinary and inexpensive old Jobey billiard that smokes wonderfully, the older Comoy’s bulldog that started it all accuse me of promiscuity and unfaithfulness.
You need to choke them out on some grape jelly and teach them whose boss, man. You dont hear Goose's pipes talking back to him. They're too traumatized.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 am
durangopipe wrote:

You need to choke them out on some grape jelly and teach them whose boss, man. You dont hear Goose's pipes talking back to him. They're too traumatized.
And this coming from one who I'd heard had come to find placing stummels out in the sun was a good thing.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:37 am

hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

I’ll have overcome some significant childhood trauma to do that, hugo.
All of the preserves in our pantry now have whole fruit in them, and definitely no grapes!

Peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches (along with far too many SOS tuna dinners) scarred my youth. The mere sight of a jar of grape jelly is enough to give me flashbacks.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:10 am
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 am
JimVH wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

When I speak of aromatics, I mean the Captain Black kind. Cake from smoking Captain Black is soft, unless maybe it is left in a pipe undisturbed for months.
I mean the Capt. Black kind, too. My opinion is based in my own first-hand experience. I don't present it as hardened truth, but it's certainly helps me to recognize when someone is peeing on my head and calling it rain.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

And this coming from one who I'd heard had come to find placing stummels out in the sun was a good thing.
Lol. Not stummels. Entire pipes. But still, is that an argument? Correct in one thing, therefore correct in all things?

You want to gloop your pipe? That's fine and I doubt whether it harms anything. It's just another quirk. Like the quirk of ignoring people you know to listen to people you don't. Seeing Tim West's attention to detail and quality in the pipes I've owned from him, I'd only ask his advice in order to do the opposite, but that's just me. You followed him to "There's grape jelly in my pipe and that makes me smarter than all of you." And that just makes me laugh. Not care. Not be insulted. It just makes me laugh.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 am

Dadgummit!

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:41 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Lol. Not stummels. Entire pipes. But still, is that an argument? Correct in one thing, therefore correct in all things?

You want to gloop your pipe? That's fine and I doubt whether it harms anything. It's just another quirk. Like the quirk of ignoring people you know to listen to people you don't. Seeing Tim West's attention to detail and quality in the pipes I've owned from him, I'd only ask his advice in order to do the opposite, but that's just me. You followed him to "There's grape jelly in my pipe and that makes me smarter than all of you." And that just makes me laugh. Not care. Not be insulted. It just makes me laugh.
it wasn't a whole jar of jelly, but a tiny bit on the tip of my finger. And then carbonizing, it gave the sugars in the burning tobacco something to adhere to.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am

**********WARNING************ Viewer discretion is advised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAgaz5VLGE
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:29 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am
**********WARNING************ Viewer discretion is advised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAgaz5VLGE
I went to my safe space.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 am

Above is a sort of pot shaped billiard that I bought new. No bowl coating. It has been almost exclusively used for mixtures. You can see that it has a fair cake. The cake is a little soft and will flake a bit if you put your fingernail to it. The cake is a reflection of my habits. It's thin at the top, gets fuller as you go down the chamber, and peters out at about the last quarter to nothing. You can see that if follows my habits. I don't pack to the top and I don't smoke all the way down. I had this one out this weekend with an old "Balkan" blend and it smoked and tasted wonderful. The thing just would not go out, and I was not trying to hard to keep it going because I was working outside.

This is a small billiard. It's an estate that I reamed down and refurbished. It's a Ennerdale Flake pipe. That's mostly Virginia. The cake is slower to build and much harder. You might not be able to tell, but the cake is much smoother and almost shiny. Notice that it follows my smoking pattern too.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 am

"101 Uses of Grape Jelly".

Use #52: In a large bowl, mix a liberal amount of brown whisky with 1/2 of an 8-oz jar of grape jelly and mix well. Add a few dashes of Tabasco, several grinds of fresh black pepper, 1/4 tsp of celery salt. Mix well. Add fresh filets of wild duck, coating well, and let them soak in the fridge for no longer than 3 hrs. Skewer the filets, alternating with chunks of bacon, jalapeno and mushrooms. Grill over a medium-to-hot fire, until the bacon looks crispy.

Be sure to enjoy some of the brown whisky, along with a bowl of whatever good Virginia tobacco or hand-rolled cigar you wish, during and after the above process. Enjoy!
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 am
"101 Uses of Grape Jelly".

Use #52: In a large bowl, mix a liberal amount of brown whisky with 1/2 of an 8-oz jar of grape jelly and mix well. Add a few dashes of Tabasco, several grinds of fresh black pepper, 1/4 tsp of celery salt. Mix well. Add fresh filets of wild duck, coating well, and let them soak in the fridge for no longer than 3 hrs. Skewer the filets, alternating with chunks of bacon, jalapeno and mushrooms. Grill over a medium-to-hot fire, until the bacon looks crispy.

Be sure to enjoy some of the brown whisky, along with a bowl of whatever good Virginia tobacco or hand-rolled cigar you wish, during and after the above process. Enjoy!
Reminded me of a recipe I once saw for merganser:

Place a dressed and plucked merganser with its body cavity filled with sausage, sliced peppers and onions in a 350 deg. oven for two hours. Remove from oven. Discard the merganser and eat the sausage, onions and peppers.

Or, for an even better dining experience, eliminate the merganser and just bake the sausage, peppers and onions.