Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Building Cake In My New JoeGoat Pipe

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 am
Above is a sort of pot shaped billiard that I bought new. No bowl coating. It has been almost exclusively used for mixtures. You can see that it has a fair cake. The cake is a little soft and will flake a bit if you put your fingernail to it. The cake is a reflection of my habits. It's thin at the top, gets fuller as you go down the chamber, and peters out at about the last quarter to nothing. You can see that if follows my habits. I don't pack to the top and I don't smoke all the way down. I had this one out this weekend with an old "Balkan" blend and it smoked and tasted wonderful. The thing just would not go out, and I was not trying to hard to keep it going because I was working outside.

This is a small billiard. It's an estate that I reamed down and refurbished. It's a Ennerdale Flake pipe. That's mostly Virginia. The cake is slower to build and much harder. You might not be able to tell, but the cake is much smoother and almost shiny. Notice that it follows my smoking pattern too.
Awe man! This thread was going so well. I just knew SOMEONE was going to post a picture of their cake. I just didn’t guess it was going to be you. I was betting on Goose.

I HATE cake pictures.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:28 pm
Cleon wrote:
Above is a sort of pot shaped billiard that I bought new. No bowl coating. It has been almost exclusively used for mixtures. You can see that it has a fair cake. The cake is a little soft and will flake a bit if you put your fingernail to it. The cake is a reflection of my habits. It's thin at the top, gets fuller as you go down the chamber, and peters out at about the last quarter to nothing. You can see that if follows my habits. I don't pack to the top and I don't smoke all the way down. I had this one out this weekend with an old "Balkan" blend and it smoked and tasted wonderful. The thing just would not go out, and I was not trying to hard to keep it going because I was working outside.

This is a small billiard. It's an estate that I reamed down and refurbished. It's a Ennerdale Flake pipe. That's mostly Virginia. The cake is slower to build and much harder. You might not be able to tell, but the cake is much smoother and almost shiny. Notice that it follows my smoking pattern too.
Awe man! This thread was going so well. I just knew SOMEONE was going to post a picture of their cake. I just didn’t guess it was going to be you. I was betting on Goose.

I HATE cake pictures.
Ha. Are they gross to you? :lol:

We need more pipe related arguments discussions.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:44 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 am
"101 Uses of Grape Jelly".

Use #52: In a large bowl, mix a liberal amount of brown whisky with 1/2 of an 8-oz jar of grape jelly and mix well. Add a few dashes of Tabasco, several grinds of fresh black pepper, 1/4 tsp of celery salt. Mix well. Add fresh filets of wild duck, coating well, and let them soak in the fridge for no longer than 3 hrs. Skewer the filets, alternating with chunks of bacon, jalapeno and mushrooms. Grill over a medium-to-hot fire, until the bacon looks crispy.

Be sure to enjoy some of the brown whisky, along with a bowl of whatever good Virginia tobacco or hand-rolled cigar you wish, during and after the above process. Enjoy!
Reminded me of a recipe I once saw for merganser:

Place a dressed and plucked merganser with its body cavity filled with sausage, sliced peppers and onions in a 350 deg. oven for two hours. Remove from oven. Discard the merganser and eat the sausage, onions and peppers.

Or, for an even better dining experience, eliminate the merganser and just bake the sausage, peppers and onions.
Ha! Yep.

A good friend and I were doing a canoe float duck hunt on the upper Ashley River in South Carolina years ago, and came up on some guys duck hunting and camping. It was after mid-morning and they had a small charcoal grill going with ducks on the grill. When we asked what type ducks they had, they didn't know, but had saved the heads and showed us. Yes, they had a pair of hooded mergansers cooking on the grill. I don't think they even had salt or pepper.
We drifted off, and my buddy commented in a low voice, "those are some pretty tough old boys right there".
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I HATE cake pictures.

Black crusty holes.

*shudder*

I would rather eat a coot.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Did I really just say that? :lol:

It went along with the duck conversation.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:55 pm
Cleon wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I HATE cake pictures.

Black crusty holes.

*shudder*

Speaking of coot, and grape jelly ...

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:15 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:55 pm
Cleon wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I HATE cake pictures.

Black crusty holes.

*shudder*

Speaking of coot, and grape jelly ...
And that one time in the Philippines...
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:39 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm
...but most who know about part of me use the term “pipe nut.”
I'm not an expert, but "pipe nut" describes me well, as long as you emphasize the "nut" part.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:42 pm

OMG
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Here's a good picture of pipe cake ...

Notice how soft and crumbly it is.
And I understand the area is quite aromatic.

There. That proves it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 pm

A few years ago, when Simeon was making pipes, he put a mixture of carbon and sugar( I think powdered sugar) and something else as a coating on the pipes. He said lots of makers were doing it, and if the buyer didn't want it, it washed off easily. I don't know what the thinking was, maybe protecting the briar or enhancing the taste of the first few smokes...

When I get an estate pipe, I ream them to bare wood and then salt treatment and then after a good wipe down and before I smoke it, I pour a cap full of bourbon in the bowl and swish it around then let it trickle out the stem...after it air dries I smoke it. This process has nothing to do with building cake, its just the process I like for getting an estate pipe ready to smoke.

If Grape Jelly or Honey or Ham grease or chili works for you go for it :chili:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:08 pm

In order to get the look and feel that I like in a pipe, Joey had to trim the upper side walls a little thin, and so this is one reason I am being extra cautious and using a technique that has worked for others.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:08 pm
In order to get the look and feel that I like in a pipe, Joey had to trim the upper side walls a little thin, and so this is one reason I am being extra cautious and using a technique that has worked for others.

I have no opinion on another man's cake or cake building techniques, but I'm glad you found something you feel will work for you. Those sure are pretty pipes!
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 am
I went through a several years period of very rapid pipe acquisition (embarrassingly documented here!) that only ended about a year ago. Several of those pipes were pretty expensive, all are pipes I rather like for one reason or another. But a good half of them have yet to be smoked enough to be considered fully broken in.
But I will keep trying to reel you back in by posting pictures of pipes you need to buy. There was this lovely estate Musico on Smoking Pipes . . . .
durangopipe wrote:
And now that I’ll be bringing home the 8 or so I’ve kept and smoked at work, I face the Herculean task of properly breaking in all of those near virgin pipes when there are many already broken in that I enjoy smoking.
Well if you need any help with breaking in that lovely Pietenpauw I am your man.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:56 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm
durangopipe wrote:
I went through a several years period of very rapid pipe acquisition (embarrassingly documented here!) that only ended about a year ago. Several of those pipes were pretty expensive, all are pipes I rather like for one reason or another. But a good half of them have yet to be smoked enough to be considered fully broken in.
But I will keep trying to reel you back in by posting pictures of pipes you need to buy. There was this lovely estate Musico on Smoking Pipes . . . .
durangopipe wrote:
And now that I’ll be bringing home the 8 or so I’ve kept and smoked at work, I face the Herculean task of properly breaking in all of those near virgin pipes when there are many already broken in that I enjoy smoking.
Well if you need any help with breaking in that lovely Pietenpauw I am your man.
The Pietenpauw is one of the pipes I smoke all the time. It’s nicely broken in.
I appreciate the offer, though, very thoughtful of you. :pipe2:

Oh . . .

And it’s the Becker part of the Becker&Musico that most appeals to me, but Musico ain’t chopped liver.
If I could afford it, I’d be looking for Beckers from all 3 generations.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:58 am

Cook a pot of chili. Add the following to the pot: cinnamon, goldfish crackers, mustard, cocoa, shrimp, potatoes, sardines, corn, pepperoni, orange slices, black olives, and several peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (grated). Cook for an additional hour, and then fill the pipe bowl to the top with the chili. Smoke the chili all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. You will have cake like the experts in just one bowl!
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:09 am

coco wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:58 am
Cook a pot of chili. Add the following to the pot: cinnamon, goldfish crackers, mustard, cocoa, shrimp, potatoes, sardines, corn, pepperoni, orange slices, black olives, and several peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (grated). Cook for an additional hour, and then fill the pipe bowl to the top with the chili. Smoke the chili all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. You will have cake like the experts in just one bowl!
I still wish Goose had read The Pipe, by Georges Herment, first. He could have been genuinely quirky. As it is, he’s just Quirkier than Thou.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:48 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:09 am
coco wrote:
I still wish Goose had read The Pipe, by Georges Herment, first. He could have been genuinely quirky. As it is, he’s just Quirkier than Thou.
Perhaps. But I can tell you right now that Coco's above recipe won't work. He left out sour cream.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:59 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:48 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:09 am
coco wrote:
Perhaps. But I can tell you right now that Coco's above recipe won't work. He left out sour cream.
I wondered what I did wrong.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:27 am

Wow....

and I'm a scientist.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning