Pipes With Horn Stems

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
FredS
Good enough for Trappists

Pipes With Horn Stems

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 am

UB recently posted a picture on another thread of an attractive pipe with an acrylic stem that looks like horn. Judging by what I see at smokingpipes.com, horn is the new bamboo but I've never owned a pipe with a horn stem. Knowing a thing or two about what horns are made of, I like the idea of faux horn better than real, but the real ones seem to be very popular. I've put water buffalo horn scales on a few knives and the material really moves with changes in humidity so that would also be a concern.

Do you have one?
Do you like it?
If yes, why?
If not, why?
Does it smoke/feel different?
Is it more fiddly than other materials?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Re: Pipes With Horn Stems

Post by JMG » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am

The only thing I don't like about them is that they tend to be a good bit thicker than ebonite or acrylic to make up for the hardness difference.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:42 am

Do they split and start to stink like those cow hooves the dog chews on?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am

I have one, but it sits still in the box. I tend to gnaw on a stem with near constant clenching and I haven't found the confidence to try it, yet.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:20 am

I had a rifle once with a horn trigger guard, It was big and bulky even if it did look nice and was a cool custom feature, but I was always afraid I would damage it.

I am not likely to get a pipe with a horn stem...also not real interested in the wood stem pipes I have seen...although beautiful horn and wood...I like the tuffness of the ebonite or acrylic.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 am

As I understand it, horn stems are an attempt to have the good features of vulcanite (ie. comfort) without the oxidation. For some "old-timers", acrylic/lucite stems can be painful on the teeth. But not many folks smoke that much any more so I imagine that isn't as much of a factor.

I have had a couple of horn stem pipes but I am hard on stems and they didn't fare well. One of them I bit through--and I have never done than before or since with any other pipe--and the other had the stem split in half. If you are one of those folks that doesn't like teeth marks on your stem, you may want to try a different stem material. I think if I found one that I just loved I would have a lucite stem made for it to smoke and use the horn stem for display.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Yikes Bob.

As I've considered this, I suppose - aside from the Ropps - what I've really seen lately are pipes with horn adornments or extensions, not necessarily entire stems. Basically like bamboo. This eliminates the clunky button required to accommodate the materials drawbacks but still provides the 'look' of natural horn. It appears most of the artisans add a metal ring around the mortise but I'd still worry that differential expansion/contraction would lead to cracks. They sure look nice though.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm

Stanwell had some horn shanks in the '70's through the '90's. They were pretty but most of the ones I saw developed hairline cracks over time. I don't know that much about making pipes but durability would concern me. Can you use some kind of resin or epoxy?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:42 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm
. . .Can you use some kind of resin or epoxy?
Now that you mention it, yes. It's common for knife makers and pen turners to use 'stabilized' wood. You basically use a vacuum chamber to infuse the pores with resin that hardens and makes the natural material more or less like hard plastic. A quick google search turns up a little bit about folks doing the same thing with horn. Perhaps that's the trick.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 am
As I understand it, horn stems are an attempt to have the good features of vulcanite (ie. comfort) without the oxidation. For some "old-timers", acrylic/lucite stems can be painful on the teeth. But not many folks smoke that much any more so I imagine that isn't as much of a factor.

I have had a couple of horn stem pipes but I am hard on stems and they didn't fare well. One of them I bit through--and I have never done than before or since with any other pipe--and the other had the stem split in half. If you are one of those folks that doesn't like teeth marks on your stem, you may want to try a different stem material. I think if I found one that I just loved I would have a lucite stem made for it to smoke and use the horn stem for display.

I can see that. They're built for comfort, not durability; I'd bet a stem chewer would go through one in record time. That said, I'd put a horn stem on every pipe I owned if the cost was reasonable. I like how they look. I like how they feel. I love how they hold the flavor of the tobacco and become part of the experience.

But they'd have to be really cheap to make it worth while and that isnt likely to happen. If I were a maker of artisanal pipes, I surely wouldnt use them.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 am
... but I've never owned a pipe with a horn stem.
I thought that you took the Ropp Bulldog that I put in the box pass a few years ago?

I like horn stems. They're good looking, comfortable and durable IMO.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:44 pm

I have two horn stem Ropps. I smoke them, and I like them very much.
But I rarely clench so the durability issue is not a concern for me.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:57 pm

I've played with horn mounts, but never stems. It turns nicely and polishes beautifully. I wouldn't consider using it on anything that takes wear and tear. I've had knives with horn scales and, though pretty, they all split.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 pm
FredS wrote:
I thought that you took the Ropp Bulldog that I put in the box pass a few years ago?

Now that you mention it, I think I did. I still have one box of pipes I need to unpack from the move. I bet it's in there. I'll report back later.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:17 am

I don't, but I sure do like those Ropp belge pipes that have horn stems. I just haven't bought one yet.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:42 pm

I have a short Ropp billiard with a horn stem that I enjoy a lot. It is a bit softer than vulcanite. I find it to be very comfortable and have used it as my go-to pipe for fly tying for a couple years. I need a light weight, comfortable pipe for that, as it stays in my mouth the whole time. Recently it has been sharing time with a small, rusticated pipe from JMG, but it saw regular use for a couple years and still sees regular use, though not as much.

I am starting be to a little more careful with stem, as I don't want to go through it eventually, and it is showing some discoloration from moisture and whatnot. I'll take pics next time I think about it. My experience with this one, though, has been so positive that I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another horn stem, particularly for a lighter pipe.
Sola Deo Gloria

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:15 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am
Jocose wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 pm
FredS wrote:

Now that you mention it, I think I did. I still have one box of pipes I need to unpack from the move. I bet it's in there. I'll report back later.
That's what I thought...
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS