Need help with a house pipe

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Need help with a house pipe

Post by Steverino » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:54 am

Anybody familiar with the Peterson house pipe? I got one for Christmas last year and I'm trying to figure out how to clean the stem. Yes, for the first time (haven't smoked it much). The stem will not pass a pipe cleaner. When you look into the tenon it looks like there is some kind of baffle in there that apparently allows air to pass but not a pipe cleaner. If anyone knows the best way to clean out the stem, I would appreciate the knowledge.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: Need help with a house pipe

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Steverino wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:54 am
Anybody familiar with the Peterson house pipe? I got one for Christmas last year and I'm trying to figure out how to clean the stem. Yes, for the first time (haven't smoked it much). The stem will not pass a pipe cleaner. When you look into the tenon it looks like there is some kind of baffle in there that apparently allows air to pass but not a pipe cleaner. If anyone knows the best way to clean out the stem, I would appreciate the knowledge.
Soak in warm water w/ Dawn! Then rinse.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Not familiar, I'm afraid. I do have a Peterson deluxe, however, and that has a metal condenser at the end of the stem that can twist off. I think (not sure) that Peterson house pipes are built on the same idea, just scaled up.

Could you post a picture?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo too. When you say baffle, do you mean a partial blockage in the airway - like alternating fins or something - that causes turbulence and condensation in the smoke stream for the Peterson sump?

If it's a solid baffle, then I can't imagine how you'd get around it. Maybe just clean from both ends of the stem and call it good?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:27 pm

I believe the condenser just unscrews. Is it brass, bakelite, or aluminum?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Someone on facebook mentioned the condenser too, but alas, it doesn't have one. Just a regular tenon that is made into the enlarged portion of the stem. I'll try to take and post a couple of pictures when I get back inside. That's about an hour process for me! To try to describe the "baffle" a little better, it is quite hard to see since you have to look through the relatively small opening in the tenon (and it's a pretty good-sized tenon). When I look as closely as I can, using a bright light, it just looks like a plate - maybe a metal plate? I can't really tell. As far as how it might pass air, I envision that it may have openings near the stem walls, which are not visible. Since my stem doesn't have the removable condenser, perhaps this baffle-like thing serves a similar purpose. I sure wish I had one of those tiny inspection cameras with the flexible probe that would fit in there.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:17 pm

'TIS BEWITCHED, I SAY.

I also say that I'm on my laptop and when I came back to it the above was already there.

OH, LOOK! 2 PMs.

Gotta get.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:23 am

Steverino wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 pm
Someone on facebook mentioned the condenser too, but alas, it doesn't have one. Just a regular tenon that is made into the enlarged portion of the stem. I'll try to take and post a couple of pictures when I get back inside. That's about an hour process for me! To try to describe the "baffle" a little better, it is quite hard to see since you have to look through the relatively small opening in the tenon (and it's a pretty good-sized tenon). When I look as closely as I can, using a bright light, it just looks like a plate - maybe a metal plate? I can't really tell. As far as how it might pass air, I envision that it may have openings near the stem walls, which are not visible. Since my stem doesn't have the removable condenser, perhaps this baffle-like thing serves a similar purpose. I sure wish I had one of those tiny inspection cameras with the flexible probe that would fit in there.
Sounds Steam Punk. Now I am intrigued.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Okay, here goes with some pictures. The first one shows the whole pipe with a quarter for size comparison. The second one shows that the stem does not have any kind of fixture like a "stinger" on it. The third one is looking into the tenon. The blur on the left side is my flashlight. Kinda hard to get it and the camera lens on the same axis!

So what you're seeing inside the tenon is the "baffle" I'm talking about. The shiny stuff on it is just light reflecting off the crud that I need to clean out. The crud is on the baffle, so it serves to illustrate where the baffle is located. If no one has any ideas about how Peterson intended for this to be cleaned, maybe I'll try to contact them and see what they know about it. I know I can go in from both sides with a pipe cleaner and do it that way but this thing has got my interest piqued so I want to find out more about it. It's also a little mysterious since no one seems to have heard of this stem construction. I really want to know how they got that baffle in there. Thanks for any info you may have.

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 am

I don't know if this will help or not, but you may want to review this thread for some Rusty wisdom. I'm on my work computer so a lot of the photos don't come up. Consequently, I don't know if your pictures or the pictures in the other thread have any resemblance to one another.

Crossing my fingers and hoping I was helpful. If not, at least you got a few more moments with Rusty.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:07 am

Thank you sir! There was nothing that addressed my specific question but there was some great information that I'm glad to have. Thanks again.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 am

I suspect that the "baffle" is either some kind of defect in the stem or some buildup. Did you buy the pipe unused or used? That is probably the best I can do from pics.

I have a Peterson House Pipe with a similar stem. There is no "baffle".

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:25 am

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 am
I suspect that the "baffle" is either some kind of defect in the stem or some buildup. Did you buy the pipe unused or used? That is probably the best I can do from pics.

Yeah, that baffle is really throwing me. I'm no expert, but that should have a threaded aluminum tenon and it doesnt. If Steve doesnt contact Peterson, I might. If it isnt some crud, did some old timer get all creative? Hardened grape jelly, perhaps?

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 am

That's odd. You've smoked it and it smokes just fine?

Maybe give Peterson a call or an email?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:21 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 am

Yes, I could definitely entertain the idea that what I'm seeing is some kind of defect, mainly because I can't see any way that they could have gotten the baffle into the stem as the stem looks to be one piece. Not having any experience with this there's no way I could confirm or deny it. It is a used pipe. The date letter is somewhat obscured but the best I can tell it looks like a W. The chart I found stops with U which is 2005 so I assume W would be 2007. The letter could also be an N, which would be 1999. So I guess it was made somewhere from 1999 to 2007. The stem might be a replacement since it doesn't have the metal part that most people seem to expect to see. And it's definitely not buildup, you can tap on it with a small screwdriver and it sounds like solid material.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 am
That's odd. You've smoked it and it smokes just fine?

Maybe give Peterson a call or an email?
The overall smokeability is fine, though the airflow does seem a little restricted. Same way when I take the stem off the pipe and try drawing through it. Not terribly restricted but enough to know it. And here's one for you - sometimes when I draw through the pipe it hums. I've heard pipes hiss and I've heard them whistle but I've never heard a hum before. So there's definitely something odd going on, I would say. And yes, I am planning on contacting Peterson...or maybe Laudisi first, since they're basically Peterson now. On second thought, maybe not. I have a feeling that the only one who is going to be able to answer this, if it really was manufactured this way, is someone at the Peterson factory who's been around a while. I think I'll send an email now.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 pm

Okay. I emailed Peterson about the problem with the stem. Here is the first reply I got:

Hello Steve

Please send some pictures of the stem so we can have a better under standing of the problem.

Regards
Riccardo

So I sent Riccardo the same pictures I posted in this thread. By the way, I was impressed with the speed with which Peterson responded on these first two emails.

Here is the response after I sent the pictures:

Hello Steve

Nice House pipe. By the looks of it the stem is made to accommodate the 9mm filter. It will accept any brand of 9mm filter but we recommend the Peterson 9mm charcoal filter.

The pipe also has the Peterson lip mouth piece which you will require tapered pipe cleaners in order to clean the stem. You insert small end first and feed it down.

Regards
Riccardo

After receiving this reply, I emailed him back and asked a couple of questions, like was the filter stem an option when this pipe was made or was it standard. And how exactly did Peterson mean for this type of stem to be cleaned. So far I haven't received any further reply. I guess he either got tired of messing with me or he had to go do some research to provide answers. I'm guessing the latter. What he mentioned about the filter and tapered pipe cleaners brought up more questions - has anyone ever used a Peterson (or any) charcoal filter? I don't typically use a filter on any pipe but I might order some just to try them. It will be interesting to see if the airflow is further restricted. Also, on the tapered pipe cleaners - I think I've heard of them but I have never used or even seen one. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a regular pipe cleaner? That's what I've been doing on this pipe (and all my others with P-lip stems) and the pipe cleaner makes it all the way down to the "baffle". Maybe a tapered cleaner would be easier to use. So after reading the info about the filter, if this jogs anyone's memory about these stems, please share your knowledge. I'd still like to know a little more about it. Thanks in advance.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Steverino wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 pm
Okay. I emailed Peterson about the problem with the stem. Here is the first reply I got:

Hello Steve

Please send some pictures of the stem so we can have a better under standing of the problem.

Regards
Riccardo

So I sent Riccardo the same pictures I posted in this thread. By the way, I was impressed with the speed with which Peterson responded on these first two emails.

Hello Steve

Nice House pipe. By the looks of it the stem is made to accommodate the 9mm filter. It will accept any brand of 9mm filter but we recommend the Peterson 9mm charcoal filter.

The pipe also has the Peterson lip mouth piece which you will require tapered pipe cleaners in order to clean the stem. You insert small end first and feed it down.

Regards
Riccardo

After receiving this reply, I emailed him back and asked a couple of questions, like was the filter stem an option when this pipe was made or was it standard. And how exactly did Peterson mean for this type of stem to be cleaned. So far I haven't received any further reply. I guess he either got tired of messing with me or he had to go do some research to provide answers. I'm guessing the latter. What he mentioned about the filter and tapered pipe cleaners brought up more questions - has anyone ever used a Peterson (or any) charcoal filter? I don't typically use a filter on any pipe but I might order some just to try them. It will be interesting to see if the airflow is further restricted. Also, on the tapered pipe cleaners - I think I've heard of them but I have never used or even seen one. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a regular pipe cleaner? That's what I've been doing on this pipe (and all my others with P-lip stems) and the pipe cleaner makes it all the way down to the "baffle". Maybe a tapered cleaner would be easier to use. So after reading the info about the filter, if this jogs anyone's memory about these stems, please share your knowledge. I'd still like to know a little more about it. Thanks in advance.
Maybe that’s a piece of charcoal filter? I’ve never broken one in two to see what it looks like on the inside. I’ve used them years ago and might have a package lying around to experiment with. Do you have a set of tap screws, by chance? Whatever it is, it isn’t a baffle. It might be the end of a charcoal filter’s end cap or some other occlusion, I’m thinking.

As for the pipe cleaners, any thin cleaner will do. I’ve used dills, Brigham’s and Longs with no problems over the years on p lip stems.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm
Steverino wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 pm

Hello Steve

Regards
Riccardo

Hello Steve

Regards
Riccardo

Maybe that’s a piece of charcoal filter? I’ve never broken one in two to see what it looks like on the inside. I’ve used them years ago and might have a package lying around to experiment with. Do you have a set of tap screws, by chance?

As for the pipe cleaners, any thin cleaner will do. I’ve used dills, Brigham’s and Longs with no problems over the years on p lip stems.
By tap screws, do you mean self-tapping screws? I've got lots of stuff lying around so probably.

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Perhaps a tapered cleaner will be able to get the tip of the cleaner past the baffle enough that the main body can then follow it through.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.