Re: Need help with a house pipe

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am

Steverino wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm
Steverino wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 pm
Okay. I emailed Peterson about the problem with the stem. Here is the first reply I got:

Hello Steve

Please send some pictures of the stem so we can have a better under standing of the problem.

Regards
Riccardo

So I sent Riccardo the same pictures I posted in this thread. By the way, I was impressed with the speed with which Peterson responded on these first two emails.

Here is the response after I sent the pictures:

Hello Steve

Nice House pipe. By the looks of it the stem is made to accommodate the 9mm filter. It will accept any brand of 9mm filter but we recommend the Peterson 9mm charcoal filter.

The pipe also has the Peterson lip mouth piece which you will require tapered pipe cleaners in order to clean the stem. You insert small end first and feed it down.

Regards
Riccardo

After receiving this reply, I emailed him back and asked a couple of questions, like was the filter stem an option when this pipe was made or was it standard. And how exactly did Peterson mean for this type of stem to be cleaned. So far I haven't received any further reply. I guess he either got tired of messing with me or he had to go do some research to provide answers. I'm guessing the latter. What he mentioned about the filter and tapered pipe cleaners brought up more questions - has anyone ever used a Peterson (or any) charcoal filter? I don't typically use a filter on any pipe but I might order some just to try them. It will be interesting to see if the airflow is further restricted. Also, on the tapered pipe cleaners - I think I've heard of them but I have never used or even seen one. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a regular pipe cleaner? That's what I've been doing on this pipe (and all my others with P-lip stems) and the pipe cleaner makes it all the way down to the "baffle". Maybe a tapered cleaner would be easier to use. So after reading the info about the filter, if this jogs anyone's memory about these stems, please share your knowledge. I'd still like to know a little more about it. Thanks in advance.
Maybe that’s a piece of charcoal filter? I’ve never broken one in two to see what it looks like on the inside. I’ve used them years ago and might have a package lying around to experiment with. Do you have a set of tap screws, by chance?

As for the pipe cleaners, any thin cleaner will do. I’ve used dills, Brigham’s and Longs with no problems over the years on p lip stems.
By tap screws, do you mean self-tapping screws? I've got lots of stuff lying around so probably.
I think he's recommending that you drill it out. If so, I concur. At least you'll know then.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am
Steverino wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm
Steverino wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 pm
Okay. I emailed Peterson about the problem with the stem. Here is the first reply I got:

Hello Steve

Please send some pictures of the stem so we can have a better under standing of the problem.

Regards
Riccardo

So I sent Riccardo the same pictures I posted in this thread. By the way, I was impressed with the speed with which Peterson responded on these first two emails.

Here is the response after I sent the pictures:

Hello Steve

Nice House pipe. By the looks of it the stem is made to accommodate the 9mm filter. It will accept any brand of 9mm filter but we recommend the Peterson 9mm charcoal filter.

The pipe also has the Peterson lip mouth piece which you will require tapered pipe cleaners in order to clean the stem. You insert small end first and feed it down.

Regards
Riccardo

After receiving this reply, I emailed him back and asked a couple of questions, like was the filter stem an option when this pipe was made or was it standard. And how exactly did Peterson mean for this type of stem to be cleaned. So far I haven't received any further reply. I guess he either got tired of messing with me or he had to go do some research to provide answers. I'm guessing the latter. What he mentioned about the filter and tapered pipe cleaners brought up more questions - has anyone ever used a Peterson (or any) charcoal filter? I don't typically use a filter on any pipe but I might order some just to try them. It will be interesting to see if the airflow is further restricted. Also, on the tapered pipe cleaners - I think I've heard of them but I have never used or even seen one. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a regular pipe cleaner? That's what I've been doing on this pipe (and all my others with P-lip stems) and the pipe cleaner makes it all the way down to the "baffle". Maybe a tapered cleaner would be easier to use. So after reading the info about the filter, if this jogs anyone's memory about these stems, please share your knowledge. I'd still like to know a little more about it. Thanks in advance.
Maybe that’s a piece of charcoal filter? I’ve never broken one in two to see what it looks like on the inside. I’ve used them years ago and might have a package lying around to experiment with. Do you have a set of tap screws, by chance?

As for the pipe cleaners, any thin cleaner will do. I’ve used dills, Brigham’s and Longs with no problems over the years on p lip stems.
By tap screws, do you mean self-tapping screws? I've got lots of stuff lying around so probably.
I think he's recommending that you drill it out. If so, I concur. At least you'll know then.
Sorry, sir. I got distracted. Yes, I do recommend drilling it out. Testing, of course, first. I think it’s safe to say we aren’t dealing with a baffle, but with an obstruction.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 am

Hmm... I didn't know any of the House Pipes took a 9mm filter.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Adam Z
Usher
Usher

Post by Adam Z » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:36 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:25 am
Hardened grape jelly, perhaps?
I spewed coffee at that :lol: