Pipe Rolls

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2349
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by joegoat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 am
joegoat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:54 pm
Well, winter has set in and I need some indoor projects. I'd like to take a swing at making some pipe rolls. To all who use them, what does your dream pipe roll look like?
What is a pipe roll?
Just a leather or cloth item with pockets for pipes, tobaccos, and all the other items needed for pipe smoking. They're designed to be rolled up into an easily transported package.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 1797
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Waxed cotton, slot for one pipe at far end, next small slot for cleaners (both vertical) then two horizontal pockets one big enough for a zippo and czech tool and the other the rest of the length to hold a baggie of tobacco. Leather strap for clouser (probably with a buckle).
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2349
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by joegoat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
Waxed cotton, slot for one pipe at far end, next small slot for cleaners (both vertical) then two horizontal pockets one big enough for a zippo and czech tool and the other the rest of the length to hold a baggie of tobacco. Leather strap for clouser (probably with a buckle).
This brings up the question of how many pipes and tobaccos should a roll hold? Thoughts on this anyone?
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8997
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:30 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
Waxed cotton, slot for one pipe at far end, next small slot for cleaners (both vertical) then two horizontal pockets one big enough for a zippo and czech tool and the other the rest of the length to hold a baggie of tobacco. Leather strap for clouser (probably with a buckle).
This brings up the question of how many pipes and tobaccos should a roll hold? Thoughts on this anyone?
That would depend on the smoker. If for a one week trip, for me, smoking 2-3 bowls a day. Lots of room for 2 favorite blends of tobacco.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23316
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
Waxed cotton, slot for one pipe at far end, next small slot for cleaners (both vertical) then two horizontal pockets one big enough for a zippo and czech tool and the other the rest of the length to hold a baggie of tobacco. Leather strap for clouser (probably with a buckle).
This brings up the question of how many pipes and tobaccos should a roll hold? Thoughts on this anyone?
For my habits, if I have to carry more than one pipe I switch to a case.

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29401
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by coco » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:06 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 am
joegoat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
Waxed cotton, slot for one pipe at far end, next small slot for cleaners (both vertical) then two horizontal pockets one big enough for a zippo and czech tool and the other the rest of the length to hold a baggie of tobacco. Leather strap for clouser (probably with a buckle).
This brings up the question of how many pipes and tobaccos should a roll hold? Thoughts on this anyone?
For my habits, if I have to carry more than one pipe I switch to a case.
It should fit nicely into the inside pocket of a sports coat without making a big bulge.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 1797
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by rgcurrey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:48 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
Waxed cotton, slot for one pipe at far end, next small slot for cleaners (both vertical) then two horizontal pockets one big enough for a zippo and czech tool and the other the rest of the length to hold a baggie of tobacco. Leather strap for clouser (probably with a buckle).
This brings up the question of how many pipes and tobaccos should a roll hold? Thoughts on this anyone?
I see it much the same way as Jim, a pipe roll is exactly that "a" pipe roll. I want something I can travel in any environment with to carry my pipe, some tobacco and a the tools necessary to enjoy it. If I am going somewhere where I need more than one pipe I will carry them in a bag or case.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by John-Boy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 am

I'm still hoping Sisyphus finishes that next batch of tobacco pouches.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

stoshdwalsh
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:57 pm
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by stoshdwalsh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:48 pm

Tons of these on Etsy... I just bought this one with a bit more robust leather, but same design-a bit on the expensive side, but has space for everything I wanted.

https://www.northwestgentlemen.com/list ... -pouch-red

Image

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22285
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:06 am
JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 am
joegoat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
Waxed cotton, slot for one pipe at far end, next small slot for cleaners (both vertical) then two horizontal pockets one big enough for a zippo and czech tool and the other the rest of the length to hold a baggie of tobacco. Leather strap for clouser (probably with a buckle).
This brings up the question of how many pipes and tobaccos should a roll hold? Thoughts on this anyone?
For my habits, if I have to carry more than one pipe I switch to a case.
It should fit nicely into the inside pocket of a sports coat without making a big bulge.
Why bother with a pipe roll then? Just put the pipe in a pocket, a pouch of tobacco in another, and a lighter in your pants pocket. Good. To. Go.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 pm
coco wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:06 am
JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 am
joegoat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
Waxed cotton, slot for one pipe at far end, next small slot for cleaners (both vertical) then two horizontal pockets one big enough for a zippo and czech tool and the other the rest of the length to hold a baggie of tobacco. Leather strap for clouser (probably with a buckle).
This brings up the question of how many pipes and tobaccos should a roll hold? Thoughts on this anyone?
For my habits, if I have to carry more than one pipe I switch to a case.
It should fit nicely into the inside pocket of a sports coat without making a big bulge.
Why bother with a pipe roll then? Just put the pipe in a pocket, a pouch of tobacco in another, and a lighter in your pants pocket. Good. To. Go.
I'm gonna need some sketches to understand all this.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22285
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Image
Where is his mustache?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22285
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Image
Where is his mustache?
I think he's Baptist.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 38687
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by Del » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:02 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 am
I'm still hoping Sisyphus finishes that next batch of tobacco pouches.
I want to mention that, every time he logs on.

But that doesn't happen often enough to risk scaring him away.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18733
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Image
Where is his mustache?
I think he's Baptist.
Can't be. He'd have some snakebite remedy somewhere about his person.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by Jester » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Image
Where is his mustache?
I think he's Baptist.
Can't be. He'd have some snakebite remedy somewhere about his person.
Everyone knows we drain the venom before we drain your wallet.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18733
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Image
Where is his mustache?
I think he's Baptist.
Can't be. He'd have some snakebite remedy somewhere about his person.
Everyone knows we drain the venom before we drain your wallet.
Unfamiliar with the meaning of that. I was suggesting that a Baptist would probably have some booze about his person.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm
Jester wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Image
Where is his mustache?
I think he's Baptist.
Can't be. He'd have some snakebite remedy somewhere about his person.
Everyone knows we drain the venom before we drain your wallet.
Unfamiliar with the meaning of that. I was suggesting that a Baptist would probably have some booze about his person.
Ah. But hidden... just like this guy.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by Jester » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm
Jester wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Image
Where is his mustache?
I think he's Baptist.
Can't be. He'd have some snakebite remedy somewhere about his person.
Everyone knows we drain the venom before we drain your wallet.
Unfamiliar with the meaning of that. I was suggesting that a Baptist would probably have some booze about his person.
I thought you went the snake handlers route. I just went with it the the extreme.
Image
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Post Reply