Pipe Rolls

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
JungleBiker
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Pipe Rolls

Post by JungleBiker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 am

[/quote]

This brings up the question of how many pipes and tobaccos should a roll hold? Thoughts on this anyone?
[/quote]

I like to carry an extra to loan to a friend, or to use if something happens to the primary one. Rather like Pippin the hobbit did in The Lord of the Rings (the book, not the movies).

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:06 pm

I showed this to my new neighbor who works in leather and he's going to make a similar one, with some improvements.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:

I showed this to my new neighbor who works in leather and he's going to make a similar one, with some improvements.
That's great, Walt!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:

That really is a nice pipe roll.

I love pipe rolls even though I don't own one. I like mine with lettuce and tomatoes, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 pm

I saw these Savinelli genuine leather pipe/ tobacco pouches on ebay for only $33 and I thought someone might like one. From China but free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savinelli-Natu ... 0005.m1851
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 pm
I saw these Savinelli genuine leather pipe/ tobacco pouches on ebay for only $33 and I thought someone might like one. From China but free shipping

Do you hate us that much?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:34 pm
Goose55 wrote:

As I prepared to move "to the West" I bought a cowboy wallet (like a truckers wallet sans chain) from China. Whatever tanning method they used off-gassed to such an extent it burned my eyes. I put they thing out in the August sun for a week and it helped only a little. I carried it for 8 or 10 months and it still stunk so I pitched it. You could smell it on the bills when I paid cash for anything. The good news is that it only cost me $12 or so.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:12 pm

I've been using this one that I made a year or so ago since then. Had it with me this past couple weeks in Hewa and it preformed really nicely for one pipe, cleaners, tamp, lighter and tobacco. Not nearly as pretty as some, but it does the job.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:12 pm
I've been using this one that I made a year or so ago since then. Had it with me this past couple weeks in Hewa and it preformed really nicely for one pipe, cleaners, tamp, lighter and tobacco. Not nearly as pretty as some, but it does the job.

The one I bought from you, JM, was bundled with a nice Tom Spanu pipe and some tobacco that I gave to my son for his birthday last year. He loved the pipe roll so much he darn near forgot to notice the pipe and tobacco!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:43 pm

JMG wrote:

My favorite is a JMG roll similar to this one. This design really works well.

JMG

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:43 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 pm
JMG wrote:

The one I bought from you, JM, was bundled with a nice Tom Spanu pipe and some tobacco that I gave to my son for his birthday last year. He loved the pipe roll so much he darn near forgot to notice the pipe and tobacco!
Makes me happy to hear it, bud. Thanks for sharing.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:06 pm

JMG wrote:

I've got one in Robin's egg blue and one in screaming fenocchio silver alligator. I love em both.

Even the trannies freak.

You should make something in some exotic png skin. I'd buy it.

JMG

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:23 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:06 pm
JMG wrote:

I've got one in Robin's egg blue and one in screaming fenocchio silver alligator. I love em both.

Even the trannies freak.

I wish I knew how to tan hides as I would LOVE to try to tan some cassowary and sew a pipe roll from it.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:32 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:23 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:06 pm
JMG wrote:

Even the trannies freak.

I wish I knew how to tan hides as I would LOVE to try to tan some cassowary and sew a pipe roll from it.
Have access to brains? Brain tan em.

JungleBiker
Congregation
Congregation

Post by JungleBiker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Brain tanning is not quite as easy as Tom Orr makes it look on Mountain Men. I know. Me and a friend tried it recently with a small cow hide. We ended up with a gret big piece of super stiff "leather". We must have screwed up in some other area too, because it's super thin, too.

Getting a piece of PNG animal skin or the like out of PNG can be tricky, especially if you go through Australia on your way out (and it is very common to do so). I suppose if we're talking about something already tanned and made into something, it would probably be fine.

JMG

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

JungleBiker wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 pm
Brain tanning is not quite as easy as Tom Orr makes it look on Mountain Men. I know. Me and a friend tried it recently with a small cow hide. We ended up with a gret big piece of super stiff "leather". We must have screwed up in some other area too, because it's super thin, too.

Getting a piece of PNG animal skin or the like out of PNG can be tricky, especially if you go through Australia on your way out (and it is very common to do so). I suppose if we're talking about something already tanned and made into something, it would probably be fine.
I wouldn't even try to get it through Oz. Customs on their end is super strict. I think I stash it away and put it on a slow boat back home.

JungleBiker
Congregation
Congregation

Post by JungleBiker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Yeah, I'm just thinking that if it's already been tanned and made into something, especially if that item is obviously in use, then it might get overlooked. But you're right, every time I've landed in Cairns a customs official had politely but firmly taken me to one side and washed the dirt off of my boots.

I don't even want to talk about the time I got stopped in Melbourne Airport for trying to bring a knife on to a plane--a friend here had given me a credit card knife, I stuck it in my wallet and (of course) completely forgot about it...

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 pm

JMG wrote:

It's the only pipe roll I use or ever will use.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:34 pm
Goose55 wrote:

Some Chinese stuff is good. I have black anodized aluminum hand grip for my Fujifilm X-e1 that is excellent. Fits perfectly and I wouldn't use my camera without it.