Irregular pipe chamber?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Irregular pipe chamber?

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm

I have a huge old Bent Billiard Peterson that I got as an estate pipe. It was rough. I ended up cleaning it and then taking the top 16th of an inch off the bowl, it looked like the former owner banged it against his boot heel, a rock or tree stump to clear the ash. I sanded down to get rid of most of the marks. In reaming it I noted that the chamber has 3 different and distinct inside diameters. the bottom being the smallest and the top1/4 of the bowl is the largest. I didn't know what to do to fix it, not having a drill bit big enough and I didn't want to "waller" it out any more than it already was so I smoked it the way it was. A few years have passed and I was wondering about trying to make the chamber more uniform...sure I could get a big bit for the drill press, but I worry that it will grab and ruin the chamber. I could use a grinding stone on my drill... or???

Whatch ya think
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Re: Irregular pipe chamber?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm
I have a huge old Bent Billiard Peterson that I got as an estate pipe. It was rough. I ended up cleaning it and then taking the top 16th of an inch off the bowl, it looked like the former owner banged it against his boot heel, a rock or tree stump to clear the ash. I sanded down to get rid of most of the marks. In reaming it I noted that the chamber has 3 different and distinct inside diameters. the bottom being the smallest and the top1/4 of the bowl is the largest. I didn't know what to do to fix it, not having a drill bit big enough and I didn't want to "waller" it out any more than it already was so I smoked it the way it was. A few years have passed and I was wondering about trying to make the chamber more uniform...sure I could get a big bit for the drill press, but I worry that it will grab and ruin the chamber. I could use a grinding stone on my drill... or???

Whatch ya think
I'd smoke the bejayzus out of it and then make it look normal with a good reading. That's me. I just smoke em, though.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

Whatch ya think
I'd smoke the bejayzus out of it and then make it look normal with a good reading. That's me. I just smoke em, though.
That is mostly what I have been doing...smoking it, not reading to it :) , but is is hell bent for hard and the reaming and smoking isn't making it even out.

It is a good smoker and I keep thinking it could be a good 45 min smoker if the chamber was all that bigger diameter. I should probably do as you say and smoke and not worry about it.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:32 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

Whatch ya think
That is mostly what I have been doing...smoking it, not reading to it :) , but is is hell bent for hard and the reaming and smoking isn't making it even out.

It is a good smoker and I keep thinking it could be a good 45 min smoker if the chamber was all that bigger diameter. I should probably do as you say and smoke and not worry about it.
Dunno. Maybe one of the pipe makers here has a suggestion. My fear is you chunk a good piece of wood trying to improve it. But then, I dont have the urges others do to fix things that still work...you know the type, all duct tape and pieces of thread...so I just dont know.

Wait. Brilliant idea. Turn it into a flake pipe. You get the desired smoking time AND don't have to do anything. Win-win!
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Funny you should mention that...it is a great flake smoker...fold twist and stuff and smoke...I was smoking it the other night and even thought, "this pipe does ok with flakes..." It never occurred to me that the reason might be the chamber shape.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Make yourself a sanding dowel. Perhaps 3/8" or 1/2" diameter, similar to that shown in this picture. Use a hacksaw blade to cut the slot and make the slot in your dowel shorter than the width of the paper so the paper sticks out a 1/4" or so from the end of the dowel. That way it'll sort of conform to the existing shape in the bottom of the bowl and give you a nice smooth transition down there. Use the coarsest sandpaper you can find and expect it to take a long time. Like an hour if there's much material to remove. It will take you a time or two to get the hang of which way to put the paper in so it twists up with the abrasive on the outside. Don't start spinning it until you get it rolled up and in the pipe. Move in & out as if you were honing a cylinder (google it if you've never seen that done), but don't come more than half way out when it's spinning or you'll scratch up the top of the bowl.

This is also a good way to 'ream' a pipe to manage cake. I roll up sandpaper and turn it by hand because the cake is relatively soft.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:27 pm
Make yourself a sanding dowel. Perhaps 3/8" or 1/2" diameter, similar to that shown in this picture. Use a hacksaw blade to cut the slot and make the slot in your dowel shorter than the width of the paper so the paper sticks out a 1/4" or so from the end of the dowel. That way it'll sort of conform to the existing shape in the bottom of the bowl and give you a nice smooth transition down there. Use the coarsest sandpaper you can find and expect it to take a long time. Like an hour if there's much material to remove. It will take you a time or two to get the hang of which way to put the paper in so it twists up with the abrasive on the outside. Don't start spinning it until you get it rolled up and in the pipe. Move in & out as if you were honing a cylinder (google it if you've never seen that done), but don't come more than half way out when it's spinning or you'll scratch up the top of the bowl.

This is also a good way to 'ream' a pipe to manage cake. I roll up sandpaper and turn it by hand because the cake is relatively soft.
Fred, thanks for this. I smoked this pipe last night and it is a great pipe...fits me well but about 1/2 way trough the bowl it becomes work to smoke it.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:36 am

Uncle Fred to the rescue. :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 am

I smoked the pipe again last night and its now bugging me to the point I have to do something with it. I wish I could follow Hugo's advise and just smoke it...but its bugging me...

I'll post some pics this weekend
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am

Premal Chheda sells pro grade chamber sanding rods at rawkrafted.com if anyone is looking to step up their chamber sanding game. These range from 5/8" to 3/4" diameter and would need to be held in your hand or a lathe chuck as most drill chucks won't go that big. Premal's a cool guy. He hangs with N8 a bit too much, but still, a nice guy.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe