Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Pipe and other hardware related discussions

What's your favorite pipe shape?

Lovat
4
15%
Canadian
1
4%
Billiard
8
31%
Dublin (for JimVH)
3
12%
JoeGoat has made for me a couple pipes with this shape. This the later one with a very large chamber. I like the shape for it feels so natural in my hand. I first saw this shape by Pipa Croci. Image
2
8%
Bulldog
6
23%
Rhodesian
1
4%
Other
1
4%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
FredS
Good enough for Trappists
Good enough for Trappists
Posts: 21634
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:26 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 am
I disapprove of this unchecked tendency of fair-minded men of catering to the notion that the great unwashed deserve inclusion at the table of the decently bred. It is kindly-meant, certainly, but it is also weak and waters down rigid societal norms that were there for a reason. Did you know that sixty years ago, bent pipes were considered rather fast?

Naturally, disordered men reject the natural law. We want our own way, after all. Seemingly innocuous bent billiards and squashed tomatoes lead inevitably to monstrous blowfishes, bizarre Danish things, and finally to The Pipe and Color Dukes.

The original poll was fine, and properly indicated whether one is Army, Navy, or a member of the professions.
That's a too many words for this unwashed, poorly bred fellow, but I think I'm offended. :)
He's using the slippery slope argument favored by the likes of NoaM and AMJ. The normalization of bent pipes lead inevitably to butt sex and women in the pulpit.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 37901
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by Del » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:44 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:04 am
I added Dublin for JimVH. Turns out adding options seems to have reset the poll. Vote again!
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:09 am
More shapes added to the poll. Vote again.
Feels like Chicago!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 7923
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:25 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:24 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:20 pm
Every CPS poll needs Bullwinkle or Bullmoose.
Same thing, really.

Image

This one resides in Winnipeg.
Good place for a moose.
I don't think you know what your favorite is.
Changes every day.
and so it should. For anyone else but me.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 17443
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:26 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 am
I disapprove of this unchecked tendency of fair-minded men of catering to the notion that the great unwashed deserve inclusion at the table of the decently bred. It is kindly-meant, certainly, but it is also weak and waters down rigid societal norms that were there for a reason. Did you know that sixty years ago, bent pipes were considered rather fast?

Naturally, disordered men reject the natural law. We want our own way, after all. Seemingly innocuous bent billiards and squashed tomatoes lead inevitably to monstrous blowfishes, bizarre Danish things, and finally to The Pipe and Color Dukes.

The original poll was fine, and properly indicated whether one is Army, Navy, or a member of the professions.
That's a too many words for this unwashed, poorly bred fellow, but I think I'm offended. :)
He's using the slippery slope argument favored by the likes of NoaM and AMJ. The normalization of bent pipes lead inevitably to butt sex and women in the pulpit.
Um, no. Slippery slope is itself a logical fallacy.

I swear you people have homosexuality and heresy on your minds. I go weeks without thinking of either.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28007
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:44 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:04 am
I added Dublin for JimVH. Turns out adding options seems to have reset the poll. Vote again!
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:09 am
More shapes added to the poll. Vote again.
Feels like Chicago!
OH! The humiliation!
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by DAN » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 am
I disapprove of this unchecked tendency of fair-minded men of catering to the notion that the great unwashed deserve inclusion at the table of the decently bred. It is kindly-meant, certainly, but it is also weak and waters down rigid societal norms that were there for a reason. Did you know that sixty years ago, bent pipes were considered rather fast?

Naturally, disordered men reject the natural law. We want our own way, after all. Seemingly innocuous bent billiards and squashed tomatoes lead inevitably to monstrous blowfishes, bizarre Danish things, and finally to The Pipe and Color Dukes.

The original poll was fine, and properly indicated whether one is Army, Navy, or a member of the professions.
Image
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 37901
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by Del » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 am
I disapprove of this unchecked tendency of fair-minded men of catering to the notion that the great unwashed deserve inclusion at the table of the decently bred. It is kindly-meant, certainly, but it is also weak and waters down rigid societal norms that were there for a reason. Did you know that sixty years ago, bent pipes were considered rather fast?

Naturally, disordered men reject the natural law. We want our own way, after all. Seemingly innocuous bent billiards and squashed tomatoes lead inevitably to monstrous blowfishes, bizarre Danish things, and finally to The Pipe and Color Dukes.

The original poll was fine, and properly indicated whether one is Army, Navy, or a member of the professions.
Odd. Sixty years ago, the fastest man of the age smoked very straight pipes.

Image



Kudos for the brilliant AMJ impersonation!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8632
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by SlowToke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 pm

If you go by the most represented shape in my collection it would be billiard but I'd say I prefer bulldogs slightly over billiards. I'm just more picky about the style of bulldog I'll purchase. Besides, good billiards are abundant and easy to find. Good bulldogs are more scarce.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28007
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:08 am

SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 pm
If you go by the most represented shape in my collection it would be billiard but I'd say I prefer bulldogs slightly over billiards. I'm just more picky about the style of bulldog I'll purchase. Besides, good billiards are abundant and easy to find. Good bulldogs are more scarce.
You’ll be making bulldogs this year, is that right? I’d like to get in early for a smaller version; like a Dunhill group 2.

Smooth, blast, whatever.

Let’s do lunch.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 3860
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by Fainn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:18 am

I like a bulldog, but a Canadian suits me more.
It takes a smart eye feller to say, "I feller smart".

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8632
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by SlowToke » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:08 am
SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 pm
If you go by the most represented shape in my collection it would be billiard but I'd say I prefer bulldogs slightly over billiards. I'm just more picky about the style of bulldog I'll purchase. Besides, good billiards are abundant and easy to find. Good bulldogs are more scarce.
You’ll be making bulldogs this year, is that right? I’d like to get in early for a smaller version; like a Dunhill group 2.

Smooth, blast, whatever.

Let’s do lunch.
Right on. I won't be making many pipes this year. New job. But, I'm sure a group 2 bulldog can be one of the few I make.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6309
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:09 am

Bent Dublin. Smoked it today with a friend in Santa Fe. Ready Rubbed.
Yeah, the bent Dublin. My favorite shape. Absolutely.

Today.

Image
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22369
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by JimVH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:26 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:09 am
Bent Dublin. Smoked it today with a friend in Santa Fe. Ready Rubbed.
Yeah, the bent Dublin. My favorite shape. Absolutely.

Today.

Image
<can't not comment>

That's a beautiful pipe. For my eye, bending a Dublin is fraught with peril. More than other shapes, balance and proportion in a Dublin are more easily upset when you start bending the lines. This one is perfect.

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 14935
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by Cleon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Nothing surprising here...billiards and bulldogs.

That could be a song title.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4845
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Belge.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
JungleBiker
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 pm
Location: Papua New Guinea/UK/USA

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by JungleBiker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:35 am

What, no calabash?

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6309
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:43 am

And no apple?
What is life without an Apple?

Image

A diminutive Apple. Subtle. Discrete.
My favorite shape.

Today.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33219
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by John-Boy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:43 am
And no apple?
What is life without an Apple?

Image

A diminutive Apple. Subtle. Discrete.
My favorite shape.

Today.
It’s a lovat variant. Just vote lovat.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6309
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:11 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:43 am
And no apple?
What is life without an Apple?

Image

A diminutive Apple. Subtle. Discrete.
My favorite shape.

Today.
It’s a lovat variant. Just vote lovat.
Oh, so now you wanna go all Rusty on me! Get your gloves on.
A Lovat is a Billiard variant.

An apple is an apple.

Dunhill calls it a saddle stem Apple. Johnny Appleseed calls it an Apple.
I think GOOSE calls it an apple!

Plato called it an Apple.

GOD calls it an Apple!
It's what Eve gave to Adam. He smoked it, and we were screwed, but at least he had a good smoke.

Next thing you'll tell me a bent Bulldog is a Rhodesian.
Is nothing sacred?

Besides, I've already moved on to another favorite.
I'm smoking a Diplomat today. More Ready Rubbed.

Image

What, no Diplomat?
It's my favorite.

Today.


:pipe2:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22369
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Favorite Pipe Shape - Poll

Post by JimVH » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:17 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:11 pm

What, no Diplomat?
It's my favorite.

Today.
Darn you. Now I have to go all the way upstairs and dig out a Diplomat that hasn't been smoked in a while.

The power of suggestion is strong with you.

Post Reply