Loving my 2017 & 2018 POYs

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Loving my 2017 & 2018 POYs

Post by Craig Thompson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:10 am

I did not smoke either of these much until recently. Now that I am I have come to realise what fine pipes they are.

I generally do not prefer long pipes and I really like rounded bowls that nestle in the hand. So the 2017 Author fits those two criteria nicely. The highly tapered bit was a problem as I need to clench and it kept sliding out. I put a length of rubber tubing on the bit that solves the problem. It is a pleasure to smoke, like an old friend even though it is new.

I rarely smoke a straight pipe, slightly bend just works better for me so I thought I would not like the 2018 Canadian. But I have been thoroughly enjoying it. The Bing "cigar" hold on that beautiful oval shank is just so much fun. For me a new and delightful smoking experience.

Just sharing a few thoughts.

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Re: Loving my 2017 & 2018 POYs

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:33 am

Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:10 am
I did not smoke either of these much until recently. Now that I am I have come to realise what fine pipes they are.

I generally do not prefer long pipes and I really like rounded bowls that nestle in the hand. So the 2017 Author fits those two criteria nicely. The highly tapered bit was a problem as I need to clench and it kept sliding out. I put a length of rubber tubing on the bit that solves the problem. It is a pleasure to smoke, like an old friend even though it is new.

I rarely smoke a straight pipe, slightly bend just works better for me so I thought I would not like the 2018 Canadian. But I have been thoroughly enjoying it. The Bing "cigar" hold on that beautiful oval shank is just so much fun. For me a new and delightful smoking experience.

Just sharing a few thoughts.
here here
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:03 am

I'm glad you're enjoying them. That Canadian is a special pipe and mine sees a lot of action, but I have yet to put a match to the '17 Author. I don't even have a good reason why, just haven't. I guess I should remedy that.

BrianMadsen
Usher
Usher

Post by BrianMadsen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:21 pm

Glad you like the author, Craig! :-)

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:59 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:03 am
I'm glad you're enjoying them. That Canadian is a special pipe and mine sees a lot of action, but I have yet to put a match to the '17 Author. I don't even have a good reason why, just haven't. I guess I should remedy that.
My 2018 Canadian and the Grabow (whatever year it was) remain unused, still. I missed out on the author for some reason. I may never smoke the Grabow. I like it unused, paired with the certificate that came with it. But the Canadian will be smoked.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:21 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:59 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:03 am
My 2018 Canadian and the Grabow (whatever year it was) remain unused, still. I missed out on the author for some reason. I may never smoke the Grabow. I like it unused, paired with the certificate that came with it. But the Canadian will be smoked.
My Grabow is also unsmoked. I didn't get an Author or the Canadian...I should smoke the Grabow...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD