Recurring dilemma...

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11847
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Recurring dilemma...

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 pm

While I love collecting stuff as much as the next pipe smoker, as a matter of principle, I rarely collect stuff without using it. This includes pipes, I smoke my pipes. I’ve never questioned that until two years ago when FredS sent me a pipe for Christmas.

It is one of the most uniformly beautifully grained pipes I’ve ever seen. So every time I take it from the rack I wonder if I should be smoking it all.

My solution, of course, is to smoke it without being a Nancy about it. It is a beautiful pipe though:

Image

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns
Posts: 28879
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 pm

#NoNancys
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33276
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:58 pm

I see puppies in the birdseye.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23676
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by JimVH » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Yeah, I have recurring dilemmas about Fred, too.



(beautiful pipe)

sugarcane1
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by sugarcane1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 pm

It's a beauty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11847
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:55 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:58 pm
I see puppies in the birdseye.
:lol:
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9394
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:10 am

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:58 pm
I see puppies in the birdseye.
You're right. There are at least two.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29748
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by coco » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:02 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 pm
#NoNancys
I love my FES pipe.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 am

I kind of understand the temptation of owning something so nice that you don't want to use it, but, I can't say I have ever had this dilemma. Maybe it is because even if something is exquizit to behold I find a lot of the intrinsic beauty in that it also functions or works as it was intended. Additionally, I am not a collector of anything anymore and having limited resources to spend on myself means that if I am going to buy something because I like it, even if that something may have great value, I am going to use it (and thereby shoot the "pristine" value anyway).

Keep in mind I have four real pipes so there are no safe queens here.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
cpd2186
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 am

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by cpd2186 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 am
I kind of understand the temptation of owning something so nice that you don't want to use it, but, I can't say I have ever had this dilemma. Maybe it is because even if something is exquizit to behold I find a lot of the intrinsic beauty in that it also functions or works as it was intended. Additionally, I am not a collector of anything anymore and having limited resources to spend on myself means that if I am going to buy something because I like it, even if that something may have great value, I am going to use it (and thereby shoot the "pristine" value anyway).

Keep in mind I have four real pipes so there are no safe queens here.
What are you talking about? All Pastor's are LOADED!!!!!!

....Thanks for your service! You will have way more jewels in your crown than I ever will!!!

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:26 am

cpd2186 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 am
I kind of understand the temptation of owning something so nice that you don't want to use it, but, I can't say I have ever had this dilemma. Maybe it is because even if something is exquizit to behold I find a lot of the intrinsic beauty in that it also functions or works as it was intended. Additionally, I am not a collector of anything anymore and having limited resources to spend on myself means that if I am going to buy something because I like it, even if that something may have great value, I am going to use it (and thereby shoot the "pristine" value anyway).

Keep in mind I have four real pipes so there are no safe queens here.
What are you talking about? All Pastor's are LOADED!!!!!!

....Thanks for your service! You will have way more jewels in your crown than I ever will!!!
Not a pastor by any means. That little label under the avatar is set by the forum on how long or how many posts or something.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7038
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:41 am

coco wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:02 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 pm
#NoNancys
I love my FES pipe.
This.
And I smoke the heck out of mine.

Image
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
cpd2186
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 am

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by cpd2186 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:26 am
cpd2186 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 am
I kind of understand the temptation of owning something so nice that you don't want to use it, but, I can't say I have ever had this dilemma. Maybe it is because even if something is exquizit to behold I find a lot of the intrinsic beauty in that it also functions or works as it was intended. Additionally, I am not a collector of anything anymore and having limited resources to spend on myself means that if I am going to buy something because I like it, even if that something may have great value, I am going to use it (and thereby shoot the "pristine" value anyway).

Keep in mind I have four real pipes so there are no safe queens here.
What are you talking about? All Pastor's are LOADED!!!!!!

....Thanks for your service! You will have way more jewels in your crown than I ever will!!!
Not a pastor by any means. That little label under the avatar is set by the forum on how long or how many posts or something.
My bad RG.....

User avatar
ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses
Posts: 3851
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:09 pm


coco wrote:
I love my FES pipe.


Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22511
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by FredS » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 am

Please consider joining the FES Pipe Fan Club.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7038
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:10 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 am
Please consider joining the FES Pipe Fan Club.
I went to join.
Well done, Fred.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19259
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm

No unsmoked pipes. Gents, any one of us could be dead tomorrow. Smoke em if you've got em.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
cpd2186
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 am

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by cpd2186 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:12 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 am
Please consider joining the FES Pipe Fan Club.
That was brutal. I had to close after 2 seconds.....

User avatar
cpd2186
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 am

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by cpd2186 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm
No unsmoked pipes. Gents, any one of us could be dead tomorrow. Smoke em if you've got em.
That is a good word...... I have several I didnt plan on smoking but that idea is now out the window!

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23676
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by JimVH » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:54 pm

cpd2186 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:13 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm
No unsmoked pipes. Gents, any one of us could be dead tomorrow. Smoke em if you've got em.
That is a good word...... I have several I didnt plan on smoking but that idea is now out the window!
In another life I was a gun salesman. I had a frequent customer that would often buy really high-end collector guns, stuff most people would put away or just display, and go straight to the range with it. He didn't worry about holster wear on custom engraved and plated handguns or brush scuffs and scratches on a grade 5 Browning bird gun. His attitude was that if you can't enjoy it for its true purpose then the cosmetics are meaningless. I never forgot that and feel the same way about pipes.

Post Reply