Re: Recurring dilemma...

Post by cpd2186 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:57 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:54 pm
cpd2186 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:13 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm
No unsmoked pipes. Gents, any one of us could be dead tomorrow. Smoke em if you've got em.
That is a good word...... I have several I didnt plan on smoking but that idea is now out the window!
In another life I was a gun salesman. I had a frequent customer that would often buy really high-end collector guns, stuff most people would put away or just display, and go straight to the range with it. He didn't worry about holster wear on custom engraved and plated handguns or brush scuffs and scratches on a grade 5 Browning bird gun. His attitude was that if you can't enjoy it for its true purpose then the cosmetics are meaningless. I never forgot that and feel the same way about pipes.
Ron Swanson would be proud to hang out with any of you guys!

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:38 pm

cpd2186 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:57 pm
JimVH wrote:
cpd2186 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No unsmoked pipes. Gents, any one of us could be dead tomorrow. Smoke em if you've got em.
That is a good word...... I have several I didnt plan on smoking but that idea is now out the window!
In another life I was a gun salesman. I had a frequent customer that would often buy really high-end collector guns, stuff most people would put away or just display, and go straight to the range with it. He didn't worry about holster wear on custom engraved and plated handguns or brush scuffs and scratches on a grade 5 Browning bird gun. His attitude was that if you can't enjoy it for its true purpose then the cosmetics are meaningless. I never forgot that and feel the same way about pipes.
Ron Swanson would be proud to hang out with any of you guys!
Good point, cp.

Ron Swanson considers me the best kind of friend. Never met him. We’ve never spoken.
One day, perhaps a decade from now, we both hope to still be able to say that.

Ron Swanson proudly whole-asses his disdain for friendship. He has none.
He doesn’t hang.

He’s welcome to not hang with me, anytime.

:D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Any dog under fifty pounds is a cat and cats are useless.

— Ron Swanson, Parks and Recreation
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 pm

JimVH wrote:
cpd2186 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
I don't want to be a Debbie downer, but. . .

I spent last weekend with my dad back in KS. He's dying. He's also a gun nut who buys, sells, and swaps all the time. He had 8 or 10 guns that were special to him and he split them up between us boys. The rest are going to the auction. His most prized guns were the ones he's had the longest and used the most. He has an old Herters rifle that he restocked in the 70's and has used to kill 107 deer. His old Ithaca 12ga was bought new in 1957. He's owned close to a thousand guns in his life, but the ones he liked most were the ones he used the most. I reckon it's the memories attached to each that he really treasures. Everything else is just a gun.

So I say smoke those special pipes. Smoke the sh*t out of them. Make 'em even more special for the memories.

Also, thanks for the kind words about my pipes guys.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 pm
JimVH wrote:
cpd2186 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I spent last weekend with my dad back in KS. He's dying. He's also a gun nut who buys, sells, and swaps all the time. He had 8 or 10 guns that were special to him and he split them up between us boys. The rest are going to the auction. His most prized guns were the ones he's had the longest and used the most. He has an old Herters rifle that he restocked in the 70's and has used to kill 107 deer. His old Ithaca 12ga was bought new in 1957. He's owned close to a thousand guns in his life, but the ones he liked most were the ones he used the most. I reckon it's the memories attached to each that he really treasures. Everything else is just a gun.

So I say smoke those special pipes. Smoke the sh*t out of them. Make 'em even more special for the memories.

I'm sorry, bud. Truly.

cpd2186
Congregation
Congregation

Post by cpd2186 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 am

FredS wrote:
JimVH wrote:
cpd2186 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Praying for you and your family Fred.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:42 am

cpd2186 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 am
FredS wrote:
JimVH wrote:
cpd2186 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Praying for you and your family Fred.
Indeed, Fred, prayers your way.

Wrt this thread, I too smoke a pipe at least once, or give it away. I have one exception however, the Grabow POY from a couple years back, is still in the sock it came in unsmoked. I'll light it up at some point probably but I don't know when yet.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 am

FredS wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 am
Please consider joining the FES Pipe Fan Club.
Even though I was 99% sure you were jerking our chain, I clicked the link...well played!

Oh and I smoked my FredS pipe last night with some Bayou Nights
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 am

Please excuse me for taking your thread off topic Gabe, but I put it out here about my dad so I think an update here is appropriate for those who've commented. I got this email just now:

Hi boy, things are going better than I thought possible, even went and worked in “Fred’s Shed” yesterday after I got home from by 12:45 radiation treatment, even WALKED down the steps to the radiation dept at hospital, today is ½ way on my treatments. Talked to rad. Doc Monday, he, like my oncology doc says there is no cure for prostrate bone cancer, but I should be around for several YEARS, which was super good news.

"Fred's Shed" is what he calls his workshop. I reckon he was working on some knives he wanted to finish but has been unable to for the last few weeks.

FTR - I'm not giving his guns back.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 am
Please excuse me for taking your thread off topic Gabe, but I put it out here about my dad so I think an update here is appropriate for those who've commented. I got this email just now:

Hi boy, things are going better than I thought possible, even went and worked in “Fred’s Shed” yesterday after I got home from by 12:45 radiation treatment, even WALKED down the steps to the radiation dept at hospital, today is ½ way on my treatments. Talked to rad. Doc Monday, he, like my oncology doc says there is no cure for prostrate bone cancer, but I should be around for several YEARS, which was super good news.

"Fred's Shed" is what he calls his workshop. I reckon he was working on some knives he wanted to finish but has been unable to for the last few weeks.

And why should you? No givsies backsies was clearly part of the deal.

Happy for your dad, Fred, and happy for you.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 am
FredS wrote:

Amen
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

cpd2186
Congregation
Congregation

Post by cpd2186 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 am
FredS wrote:

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 pm

FredS wrote:
Please excuse me for taking your thread off topic Gabe
You must be new here, why don't you head over the "bio" section and introduce yourself?
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 pm
FredS wrote:
You must be new here, why don't you head over the "bio" section and introduce yourself?
LOL!

Thanks for that.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:26 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 pm
FredS wrote:
LOL!

Thanks for that.
:D
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

stoshdwalsh
Congregation
Congregation

Post by stoshdwalsh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Seems like the question is about enjoyment vs. investment. I suppose there can be overlap, but full enjoyment of a pipe surely includes smoking it. If you buy one and keep it in the box to resell it later, that’s fine too if that’s the intent from the beginning, but do yourself the favor of buying 2 if you aren’t sure! :lol: