Hot smoking pipe.

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Hot smoking pipe.

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:03 pm

Back in the mid eighties I bought a pipe from the discount bin in the Tinderbox. It is a Tiberion. That's all that's on it. It's a fairly big pipe with thick walls to the bowl and very nice looking. Over the years, around 31 of them to be exact. I have tried to smoke this pipe on and off without success. I hate it. So today I tried again with some Luxury Navy Flake and forced myself to finish the bowl. And my tongue got bit. It's sore as can be right now. I don't get tongue bite, especially when smoking something like LNF. This pipe smokes hot. I've tried cleaning it, doing the rocksalt and vodka thing, everything but the pipe just isn't a good smoker. The draw is kind of tough even when the bowl is empty. So tomorrow I'm going to drill the airway out a little and see what happens. Worst case is the pipe goes back in the drawer until I pull it out and try again in five years. Best case it turns into a great smoker. What do you guys think.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: Hot smoking pipe.

Post by coco » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:17 pm

Drilling out the airway should increase the airflow, which will make the tobacco burn even hotter.

My only advice is to go slower. I hope someone with more experience will be able to help more.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:21 pm

I have a Nording that was the second pipe I ever bought. For 15 years it smoked hot and wet but I kept at it; in fact, I was curious if it ever would smoke well. One day it smoked dry and sweet and it has ever since. I figured that it finally got cured but who knows?

On a more practical level, does it start out smoking well but then get hotter towards the halfway point? If so, you may be tamping it too hard as you smoke it.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:06 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:21 pm
. . .On a more practical level, does it start out smoking well but then get hotter towards the halfway point? If so, you may be tamping it too hard as you smoke it.
This. Particularly with flakes. Particularly with flakes in a big pipe. With flakes, I tend to pack too hard in the beginning and tamp too hard as I smoke. Next thing I know I have a rock hard brick of tobacco that's hot as a 2 dollar pistol.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 pm

It smokes hot from the start. Not the pipe itself, the smoke. I usually smoke a mild burley blend like PA in it but today I tried the flake. I always just fold and pack flake tobacco very very loose because it swells as you smoke it. I don't tamp much anyway, only when necessary. It might be just a crummy pipe. I have lots of cheap pipes though, mostly Dr. Grabows that smoke a lot better. i don't know why I've kept at it with this pipe. Probably because I bought it when i first started smoking pipes in the eighties. I bought another pipe when I bought this one, a Tinderbox Verona. That pipe smoked like a dream and was my favorite pipe for decades until I bit through the mouthpiece one day a few years ago. i need to get that pipe sent off and a new stem installed so I can enjoy it again. Anyway, I've got plenty of pipes that smoke great so this one will just have to go back in the drawer.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:44 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 pm
It smokes hot from the start. Not the pipe itself, the smoke. I usually smoke a mild burley blend like PA in it but today I tried the flake. I always just fold and pack flake tobacco very very loose because it swells as you smoke it. I don't tamp much anyway, only when necessary. It might be just a crummy pipe. I have lots of cheap pipes though, mostly Dr. Grabows that smoke a lot better. i don't know why I've kept at it with this pipe. Probably because I bought it when i first started smoking pipes in the eighties. I bought another pipe when I bought this one, a Tinderbox Verona. That pipe smoked like a dream and was my favorite pipe for decades until I bit through the mouthpiece one day a few years ago. i need to get that pipe sent off and a new stem installed so I can enjoy it again. Anyway, I've got plenty of pipes that smoke great so this one will just have to go back in the drawer.
It could be a construction issue. I would PM Slowtoke or FredS about it.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 am

I say tear that sucker apart and give it an overhaul. Experiment. Don't forget to pay attention to the stem. Drill it out. File it. Heck, clean the bowl with Dawn and dry it in the Arizona sun. If it doesn't work, so what? It was a sucky pipe anyway. You've put up with it for 30 years. You've got nothing to lose and you'll learn from the experience.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:36 am

Cleon wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 am
I say tear that sucker apart and give it an overhaul. Experiment. Don't forget to pay attention to the stem. Drill it out. File it. Heck, clean the bowl with Dawn and dry it in the Arizona sun. If it doesn't work, so what? It was a sucky pipe anyway. You've put up with it for 30 years. You've got nothing to lose and you'll learn from the experience.
Now that is some good advice. I'll keep y'all posted on how this goes.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:36 am
Cleon wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 am
Now that is some good advice. I'll keep y'all posted on how this goes.
Don't forget to slow down, too. And tamping more often will cool the burn, as well.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:16 pm

I've found that I've shown too much mercy in the past. You take that pipe and you smoke it non stop until it cries uncle. Believe it or not, it works.

Dont back down. Teach it who is boss.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.